Page 1 of 2
So thanks to insurance, im getting between $1500-1600 to get a new laptop after my old one got fried.
Im looking at either a Dell XPS with custom features on it, or a Mac (dont know shit about em, but they seem to have a good rep).
All i want is something that i can use for school, space for music/movies, a nice burner drive, and easy accessibility.
Doesn't need to have a super high end graphics card for games and such.

Which would be better, XPS or Mac?
Put in another $500 bucks and get the Macbook Pro. It has much better heat management and its design is almost flawless.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Mac
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote by EJD
Reminds me of that drunkard who ran out of beer... he was so desperate, he drank furniture polish.

He came to a horrible end... but a beautiful finish.
get a pc with tons better specs for half the money.

xps.
Quote by guitarlover57
So what is this "pear", iv heard so much about? people on here keep talking about it and i have no idea what theyre saying,help me with this please!!
Mac
LTD KH-602
Schecter Hellraiser C-8
Bugera 333X
Pedalboard:
Boss TU-2, HM-2
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Crybaby From Hell
Way Huge Swollen Pickel
DeviEver: Legend of Fuzz
MXR Phase 90 Script, Carbon Copy, MC-401
Mac gets my vote, but not if you're planning on playing games on it
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
Quote by cerveza
Mac gets my vote, but not if you're planning on playing games on it

Well, I can play some current games on my MBP (Valve games, Bioshock, COD4). It has an 8600GT in it. Just dual boot Windows and install games on it.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
build your own pc. i built one recently

Quadcore 3.3Ghz Overclock
Nvidia 9800x2 gt
Raptor 10000rpm HDDx2
2 x2 gb RAM
Thermalake Liquid Cooling and fans
750w Power Unit
Abit IP35-Pro XE Intel P35
Quote by Xiaoxi
Put in another $500 bucks and get the Macbook Pro. It has much better heat management and its design is almost flawless.

Eh, im not really jumping at the chance to spend $2000 on something ive never even used before....
How much could i get something similar to that for?

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
XPS models are bitchin.

Any advice on what kind of specs i should gte for it?
If I had the money/option, I would go for the Mac.

But, when I do get a laptop next summer, I'm probably going to get an ASUS G-Series with the Blu Ray drive. It's around $1900 from Newegg and is pretty awesome.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by PissInMyShoeses
Eh, im not really jumping at the chance to spend $2000 on something ive never even used before....
How much could i get something similar to that for?

When it comes to laptops, you have to consider more than just the specifications. There are other laptops that have higher parts around that price. However, the designs of those laptops are usually crap. Heat management is a big deal and not many models do it well, leaving processors prone to damage. Portability is also a factor.

Quote by fallenangel20
If I had the money/option, I would go for the Mac.

But, when I do get a laptop next summer, I'm probably going to get an ASUS G-Series with the Blu Ray drive. It's around $1900 from Newegg and is pretty awesome.

If you're going to college/in college next summer, you should definitely get a Mac. I think before every school year, Apple has a college deal. This summer, I got a college discount on my MBP (off $200), with a fully rebated iPod Touch and HP Printer. I got all of these for just $1900 with tax.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by bennypeterman
just don't go vista.

Vista balltaps XP.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I would reccommended the XPS 730 but that's the most expensive one out. Looks great though, I want it.
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by bennypeterman
just don't go vista.

There are virtually no PCs these days WITHOUT Vista on them.

It's not THAT bad of an OS, and has been getting better with time.

I don't use it regularly, but I don't mind it at all.

Saxo-Walrus

Wait, is it even possible to get custom specs for a Macbook?
Is it just the $1000 normal or the $2000 pro?
Quote by PissInMyShoeses
Wait, is it even possible to get custom specs for a Macbook?
Is it just the $1000 normal or the $2000 pro?

Yep.

If you go to the online store, you can pick the laptop you want, and then there will be an option to "Customise it" or something like that.

Saxo-Walrus

The x-view side panel comes separately, we had some at work but I had to sell them.
RULE BRITANNIA
I got the XPS for college and just for general use and it's great. I can play pretty much anything with high graphics and no slowdown. If you haven't used a Mac before then don't get the MacBook unless you really feel the need to go for it. If you have no reason to get a MacBook/Don't have a reason to hate Microsoft, then get the XPS, I really love mine.

Also don't listen to the Vista haters, they are wrong.
Quote by Cobain_Is_King

The x-view side panel comes separately, we had some at work but I had to sell them.

Oh shit, forgot to specify it, but im looking at the XPS laptops.
AS much as i need a new desktop, I NEED a lappy.

Quote by jackfromcs
I got the XPS for college and just for general use and it's great. I can play pretty much anything with high graphics and no slowdown. If you haven't used a Mac before then don't get the MacBook unless you really feel the need to go for it. If you have no reason to get a MacBook/Don't have a reason to hate Microsoft, then get the XPS, I really love mine.

Also don't listen to the Vista haters, they are wrong.

K. THe mac owners just seem to always talk about how theyre perfect and such, so i wasn't really sure.
Last edited by PissInMyShoeses at Oct 3, 2008,
Quote by PissInMyShoeses
K. THe mac owners just seem to always talk about how theyre perfect and such, so i wasn't really sure.

They are good machines and the OS is pretty sleek, but honestly the whole Mac vs PC war is all in the commercials. There is nothing a PC can do that a Mac can't do and vice versa.
In that case I'd recommend the XPS m1730, but it's slightly outta your price range, so how about the XPS M1530?

For $1,399:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB, 3MB Cache)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1
Glossy, widescreen 15.4 inch LCD (1280x800) & 2.0 MP Camera
Slot Load DVD+/-RW (DVD/CD read/write)
4GB1 Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)
Speed: 250GB2 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive Free Fall Sensor
256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT
Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy HD Software Edition
Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Mini Card
56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
Tuxedo Black

These are the stock specs, but you can customize them at:
Dell XPS M1530

Edit: God, I should work for Dell
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by PissInMyShoeses

Well, don't get me wrong. I'm not a Mac fanboy or anything. I use all computers equally. I have a custom PC at home loaded with Vista, XP, and Linux. I have owned and used a handful of laptops as well (Dell, Alienware, Vaio, HP). So I have a lot of experience with various computers. I don't think I have any bias when I say that Macbook Pros are worth the money because it's not like I haven't used anything else or I'm computer illiterate.

If you're a casual user, Leopard should be no problem at all. It's great for that kind of thing. Not so great when you're about customization and tweaking things by yourself though. Otherwise, get Vista and forget about that POS XP.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by jackfromcs
They are good machines and the OS is pretty sleek, but honestly the whole Mac vs PC war is all in the commercials. There is nothing a PC can do that a Mac can't do and vice versa.

well...one of them can run both windows and OSX seamlessly
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
In that case I'd recommend the XPS m1730, but it's slightly outta your price range, so how about the XPS M1530?

For $1,399:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB, 3MB Cache)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1
Glossy, widescreen 15.4 inch LCD (1280x800) & 2.0 MP Camera
Slot Load DVD+/-RW (DVD/CD read/write)
4GB1 Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)
Speed: 250GB2 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive Free Fall Sensor
256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT
Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy HD Software Edition
Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Mini Card
56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
Tuxedo Black

These are the stock specs, but you can customize them at:
Dell XPS M1530

Edit: God, I should work for Dell

Damn..... That's Perfect!
BTw, how much are the m1730's? ANd is it worth ir over the 1530?
Im willing to stretch a little, especially since im gonna get my old broken lappy repaired and sell it for about $500 profit. (Slight insurance fraud ftw?)
Quote by kaosfire
well...one of them can run both windows and OSX seamlessly

That isn't fair.

Quote by PissInMyShoeses
Damn..... That's Perfect!
BTw, how much are the m1730's? ANd is it worth ir over the 1530?
Im willing to stretch a little, especially since im gonna get my old broken lappy repaired and sell it for about $500 profit.

I have the 1530 and I'm more than happy with the screen size. The 1730 is much heavier, so if you are going to be taking it place to place keep that in mind.

If you decide to go for the Dell, make sure you call their customer service line to order. They gave me a really great deal, upgraded the processor, additional GB of RAM, two more years in the warranty for the same price that I had after customizing it.
When you buy a Mac from the Apple Store, you can get an educational discount - a smaller one for high school, and a bigger one for college. For instance, when I got my MacBook Pro a couple of months ago, I got £300 off because I'm now in college.

What will really decide it is:
  • What are you going to be using it for?
  • Will you be using programs for Mac OS X or Windows (or both)?
  • If you got a Mac, but needed Windows, would it be worth buying XP or Vista to dual boot?

For the money, you can probably get 4GB of RAM and a 7,200rpm hard drive in a Mac or PC; and there really isn't much noticable difference between say 2.4GHz and 2.6GHz after that.

Decide which OS you would use most of.
The M1730 is at $1,999 at the cheapest but the specs aren't as high as the M1530 I showed you there.. It sure as hell looks better, but I'd go for the M1530 as it's in your budget.

Don't let the RAM be a deciding factor; it's cheap enough to upgrade.
RULE BRITANNIA
Mac over a Dell PC? There's no comparison, Mac. Mac had garageband which killed alot of useless time for me

If you want a PC I'd go with HP., very reliable compared to Dell.
Quote by jackfromcs

I have the 1530 and I'm more than happy with the screen size. The 1730 is much heavier, so if you are going to be taking it place to place keep that in mind.

If you decide to go for the Dell, make sure you call their customer service line to order. They gave me a really great deal, upgraded the processor, additional GB of RAM, two more years in the warranty for the same price that I had after customizing it.

Aight, ill probably be getting the m1530.
SOunds like a sweet deal with that phone thing. DO i need to sweet talk the guy or what?
Quote by Supernouva
Mac over a Dell PC? There's no comparison, Mac. Mac had garageband which killed alot of useless time for me

ISn't there a pc garageband as well?
Last edited by PissInMyShoeses at Oct 3, 2008,
Quote by PissInMyShoeses
Aight, ill probably be getting the m1530.
SOunds like a sweet deal with that phone thing. DO i need to sweet talk the guy or what?

I didn't need to haggle too much, I just pointed out that with an online coupon I could get a better deal than from a Dell representative. They will probably give you a good deal without much effort on your part, the rep wants to get his commission from the sale obviously, but if they don't just google for Dell XPS coupons. Some can really save you a lot of cash.

Quote by PissInMyShoeses
ISn't there a pc garageband as well?

There isn't a PC version of GarageBand, but Ableton Live is a great recording program that you can use on a PC.
Last edited by jackfromcs at Oct 3, 2008,
If you want games dont go with the mac

But if you want everything else to be good go with the mac, pluse you get garage band and the likes with a mac.

I WON'T GET TO GET WHAT I'M AFTER, 'TIL THE DAY I DIE

Quote by ealtdharkon

If there's fluff of the muff,
She's old enough!

...gotta warn you though, witty rhymes do NOT hold up in court...

Quote by jackfromcs
I didn't need to haggle too much, I just pointed out that with an online coupon I could get a better deal than from a Dell representative. They will probably give you a good deal without much effort on your part, the rep wants to get his commission from the sale obviously, but if they don't just google for Dell XPS coupons. Some can really save you a lot of cash.

There isn't a PC version of GarageBand, but Ableton Live is a great recording program that you can use on a PC.

Damn, you really know what you're talking about, huh?
Thanks bro. YOure my new fav UGer fasho.
Quote by PissInMyShoeses
Damn, you really know what you're talking about, huh?
Thanks bro. YOure my new fav UGer fasho.

Heh, I know that other people here know a lot more than I do computers. I just had to go through all this recently and it's fresh in my mind. If you want any more info feel free to PM me.

As happy as I am with my purchase, you will be using the computer that you end up buying, not me. I would encourage you to go to Best Buy or wherever to look at the MacBooks, maybe you would end up liking them. Obviously it is a big purchase and it would be good to look at all of the possibilities.
I would recommend against mac for no other reason than they're overpriced. Also, you won't be able to do much gaming on a mac. I noticed you said you weren't gonna do much gaming in the OP anyways though. If that's the case, the XPS is probably WAY more power than you need and powerful machines like that tend to be big, heavy and have poor battery life. The XPS is designed as a graphics intensive machine (gaming, graphics design, CAD). If you don't need that kind of power you can save a lot of money by getting a more stripped down machine that you'll probably end up liking a lot better.
The setup:
Fender MIM Fat Strat (midnight wine)
Fender Blues DeVille 410
Digitech GNX3 Multi-effect
Fender CD140SCE Acoustic-Electric
Page 1 of 2