Good evening, UG. This may be in the wrong subforum, but... whatever

Let's cut right to the point.
I got my electric guitar 3 years ago, my father played in a band so he was the one teaching me.
I've also learned alot of my theory and songs from the internet, so thanks for being my sort-of teachers UG! <3

It was nice watching myself improve, learning different techniques and stuff.
Today I can play most of the good old rock songs (I play stuff like Zeppelin, Floyd, Rush, Sabbath, etc., mostly)

I thougt it was time to move on, so I've been trying to make my own songs, of course.
But I can never get any structure on them. I try to make melodies, but they seem too repetitive.
Same when I try to move on with just making solos. They all seem alike, and without structure.
I have mastered sweep picking, tapping, I can play the scales freely up and down the board, but still... nothing good comes out of it.
I get the feeling that everything good has already been made.

Sorry for creating a huge block of text, I just feel I need some (in any way) help.
I've lost motivation thinking, "Some are born creative, others not... I'm one of those who are not".
Can I learn to be creative, or will I always fail?

Thanks for any replies
Quote by Mazzaroth
Good evening, UG. This may be in the wrong subforum, but... whatever

Let's cut right to the point.
I got my electric guitar 3 years ago, my father played in a band so he was the one teaching me.
I've also learned alot of my theory and songs from the internet, so thanks for being my sort-of teachers UG! <3

It was nice watching myself improve, learning different techniques and stuff.
Today I can play most of the good old rock songs (I play stuff like Zeppelin, Floyd, Rush, Sabbath, etc., mostly)

I thougt it was time to move on, so I've been trying to make my own songs, of course.
But I can never get any structure on them. I try to make melodies, but they seem too repetitive.
Same when I try to move on with just making solos. They all seem alike, and without structure.
I have mastered sweep picking, tapping, I can play the scales freely up and down the board, but still... nothing good comes out of it.
I get the feeling that everything good has already been made.

Sorry for creating a huge block of text, I just feel I need some (in any way) help.
I've lost motivation thinking, "Some are born creative, others not... I'm one of those who are not".
Can I learn to be creative, or will I always fail?

Thanks for any replies

Stop judging yourself. Just play / write for enjoyment. Who cares if it sounds similar to something else, who cares if its not the greatest piece of music ever. Just enjoy it, and let your playing & writing style develop.

BTW when you say you've "mastered" sweeping and tapping techniques that tells me that your head is in the wrong place. That frame of mind is what's holding you back now. Let that go and instead focus on how good it feels to make music. No judgement.... just enjoyment.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Oct 3, 2008,
Watch the "soloing" video link in my sig. It may spark some ideas.

As with all other skills, everyone sucks at writing music the first time they try. Moreover, you may be able to play Dream Theater and Symphony X solos, but you will not write "Under a Glass Moon" on your first attempt. Start by writing songs like "Brown Eyed Girl" by Van Morrison.
try listening to music you normally wouldn't listen to, experiment with new effects, try alternate tuning, or even just play on a bass for a while

a lot of inspiration can come from dabbling in the unfamiliar
Learn jazz guitar. It'll blow your mind
BASSES

Yamaha RBX270L Custom Fretless
Traben Tribal Sun 5 L
Fender Custom Jazz Bass L

EFFECTS

BOSS DD-7
BOSS OC-3
BOSS RC-2
BOSS TU-2
Tech 21 Sans Amp Bass Driver DI

AMP

Yorkville XM200 Combo
in 3 years you cant master all that, is it in both distortion and clean channel or just distortion like most people who think they have mastered things on guitar?

anyway, try listen to weird music - like jazz

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by metallicafan616
in 3 years you cant master all that
If you assume practice as a full time job, 40 hours/week, yes you can.

However, TS, have you mastered alternate or at least economy picking and one-handed legato? Bends? Vibrato? How much theory do you know? You said you can fly up and down the fretboard. It's a lot of fun to do that, but do you know what you're playing or do you just know patterns?
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Oct 3, 2008,
Quote by Mazzaroth

I've lost motivation thinking, "Some are born creative, others not... I'm one of those who are not"

That's your scared self talking you into being a loser because it's a load of crap.

There's a lot of these kind of posts and you're all in what I'd call the "3 year Club".
Do you really think after only 3 years of playing you mastered anything (unless you
happen to think you're one of the very rare special exceptions that can do this)!?
You've just begun to scratch the surface and peel off the very outermost layer of the
dried skin on the onion.

You're being shown, that there's lots more to learn. That's all.
So, it's your call, as it always has been.
Quote by Mazzaroth

Do you think creative people just woke up one day with creativity falling out of their ass?

Hendrix realesed "Are You Experienced?" about ten (10) years after he first picked up a guitar. He spent those ten years immersed in music, listening to other people's music, practicing music and gigging for other people's bands (and occasionally his own) before he got the chance to channel his ideas onto a record via the technique he'd be learning for the past ten (10) years.

Leonard Cohen took several years just to write the song "Hallelujah". He filled a notebook with lyrics for the song "Democracy" before he got the ones he wanted and he says he's only ever once written a song in a single sitting (Chelsea Hotel).

Jim Morrison had a bookcase full of literature and poetry and he used to challenge people to pick a book at random and read him the first line, to see if he could name it. Apparently, he never got one wrong. Then he turns into an acclaimed lyricist. Coincidence?

I don't know you, so I'm not saying you're not working hard at creating, but keep working. If you have the technical side down then you shouldn't have many barriers to bringing a sound you hear in your head out into the world via your fingers. Like BGC said, everyone sucks at writing music the first time they try.

Hendrix, Cohen and Morrison all sucked and so did everyone else. Keep trying.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
Listen to new music. Your problem is that you only play classic rock. Since you haven't HEARD any thing different, you can't create or play it. Get some fusion, classical, progressive, straight up jazz, metal, ANYTHING different. It will completely change your playing style. I reccomend Dream Theatre, Coheed and Cambria, Betweeen the Buried and Me, and some Paul Gilbert maybe.
Quote by seokorn
your awesome stoner

Quote by Frobot!
Tapeman is my hero.
It sounds like your putting a lot of pressure on yourself to "be creative". I've been there. Lighten up and enjoy the instrument. Learn songs, improvise, put on a backing track and jam, work on your technique. Whenever you happen upon something that sounds kind of cool, stop for a moment and tab it out in a notebook or some blank tab sheets that you should have handy in your practice area. Over time you'll build up a lot of these ideas, and start seeing how some of them could go together to form something bigger.
i dont really think creativity is something you can learn, you either have it or you dont. Although alot of people will probably disagree with me.. you can't deny you've never met that guy who plays just as long as you, practices just as hard. but still just doesnt have it

if im playing the guitar alot, like living with musicians where all we do is make music all day. Sometimes i have to stop playing for a day or two just because it starts to seem like im playnig simular things, just a little break can open my mind to write something fresh
Last edited by Peaceful Rocker at Oct 4, 2008,