I know this is already posted, but everyone's experience is different
So I am trying to learn Of Sins and Shadow by Symphony X, and there is a part where I want to use 3 fingers, but as most people have a "gallop" feel to it.

How can I eliminate this problem?

I have tried the 3-2-1-2-3 technique, and that is just not for me!

Please do not just leave a short answer like "practice"
Only the blue sky and the green grass
Go on forever in this world
Where seconds feel like eternity
And years pass in blink of an eye
that i would say is one of the most famous 3 finger techniques. you could also try

3-2-1-3-2-1

however i found that sometimes gives you a triplest sound which is not good when you want just straight fast notes. i suggest working with the 3-2-1-2-3 as when i first started it was very akward for me too. but when it comes down to it the answer is practice. also i found not to long ago a steve digiorigio page on 3 finger tech ill look for it for you.
Quote by MetalBass 77
that i would say is one of the most famous 3 finger techniques. you could also try

3-2-1-3-2-1

however i found that sometimes gives you a triplest sound which is not good when you want just straight fast notes. i suggest working with the 3-2-1-2-3 as when i first started it was very akward for me too. but when it comes down to it the answer is practice. also i found not to long ago a steve digiorigio page on 3 finger tech ill look for it for you.

thanks!
haha, thanks it is cool!

I am a huge fan of Steve, I love individual thought patterns and is work in Quo Vadis

I wish he would stay in the band because he fit with them perfectly!
I say just work on that 3-2-1-3-2-1 technique every day and it will pay off in the end. Every instrument is just a lot of tedious practice but in the end when you learn a technique like that it will just bring your bass playing to a whole new level because you are less limited through your style of playing.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
I have been trying the 3-2-1-3-2-1 for s while, i seem to have the same flaw the every time!
Practice (woops, sorry ) to a metronome at slow speeds, which will help to keep you steady preventing the 'gallop' feel.

You need to be aware of where you place accents too, you might get into a habit of accenting every note you hit with your ring finger( which I did anyway), which would get confusing, so practice getting accents on the beat.

EDIT: Also, I don't get the 32123 pattern, wouldn't this mean you were using your middle finger alot more rather than spreading it out the work across them all?
Last edited by Froggy McHop at Oct 4, 2008,
This guy has an awesome 3 finger tech, it's a shame he hasn't done any tutorials are anything:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6F8ZgbbhzI
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I use guitar pro to help me with my timing using all sorts of rhythms. I use the 32123 method.
-Well, I've never heard the song. But I am going to suggest playing with a pick,

-or there's a thing you can do where you use just two fingers to play the strings, but you use your fingernails aswell and kind of alternate pick with two fingers.

-you could just try playing other songs you know using your middle and ring instead of your index and middle, and build up strength in your ring finger.

However, if you're at the stage where you're worrying about the tone of your third finger, Your probably way beyond my level, It's probably you that should be telling me how to play bass.
If I were you, I'd consider learning a 4 finger technique. The '3-2-1-2' is limited by the speed of your middle finger (so you might as well play with 2) and the 3-2-1-3 is irritating because of the tripleteysound you'll get.

With practice, the 3-2-1-3 or 4-3-2-1 will ALWAYS be faster than 3-2-1-2, because of physics and the nature of reality. Either way, you'll have to do a helluva lotta practice to get either of them down.
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
the jonas brothers are sooo
█▄█ █▀█ ▀█▀
█▀█ █▄█ ♥█
☆┌─┐ ─┐☆
 │▒│ /▒/
 │▒│/▒/
 │▒ /▒/─┬─┐
 │▒│▒|▒│▒│
┌┴─┴─┐-┘─┘
│▒┌──┘▒▒▒│
└┐▒▒▒▒▒▒┌┘
 └┐▒▒▒▒┌┘ PEACE! LOVE! JONAS!
^ by four finger technique do you mean the thumb or the pinky?

Pinky has always been a lost cause for me.

You may however be interested in a technique used by a bass player by the name of Matt Garrison. It uses the ring, middle index and the thumb.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=h7tIfOHruZA this shows his application of the technique.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AB-RoEiq1uc - here is a breakdown of the technique.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sZo8OBsZp-U - here is part 2.
the "gallop" feel usually comes from the fact that your middle and ring finger share a ligament, which makes it awkward for some people when trying to play smoothly with 3 fingers. Back in the day when i was all into those fast fingerpicking bass players, i practiced making my right hand finger movements when picking. Basically, you want to minimize the distance in which your fingers move away from the string after plucking. The smaller movements makes the ligament pull less. It takes a fair amount of practice to get strength and discipline into it, but it helped me =D
^ You can use either or both. I use my thumb for string skipping (from G to E).

5 finger technique would be relly hard to get down. There is a vid on youtube of a guy doing it.

I can't find the instructional vid though...
the jonas brothers are sooo
█▄█ █▀█ ▀█▀
█▀█ █▄█ ♥█
☆┌─┐ ─┐☆
 │▒│ /▒/
 │▒│/▒/
 │▒ /▒/─┬─┐
 │▒│▒|▒│▒│
┌┴─┴─┐-┘─┘
│▒┌──┘▒▒▒│
└┐▒▒▒▒▒▒┌┘