For those of you who take lessons...what does your teacher expect if you are sick,let him/her know in advance that you won't be in for lesson.Does he/she expect you to make it up the next week??And what if that is just too hectic for you ,thestudent ,to do,what do they expect in that situation??
Last edited by kenbiki at Oct 4, 2008,
I call him at least a day before, and I go to my lesson the week after.
ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by DespisedIcon at Oct 3, 2008,
...seems that my teacher insists on me making up the time slot,in other words,doubling up the next week..........
you should probably call asap. depends on how formal the lessons are he wont be able to make it up. but he'll get mad if he waits on u and u dont show. he has better things to do.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!
What I'm saying is......I gave him plenty notice that I was sick and don't know why I have to somehow figure out how in the heck I'm gonna fit two lessons in next week.I'm of course planning on my normal lesson time next week,but why do I have to worry about making up the"time slot that I missed."?? It's not like I called the night before the lesson to cancel!I have an extremely busy schedule and don't have the time to do two lessons next week.People get sick,and now I feel like I'm getting punished for it.Is this normal behavior from teachers??I feel like it's just about the money for my teacher..........it just leaves a real sour taste in my mouth. I only ever missed one class in 8 months and only because I was 1/2 a country away!So now I'm sick and have to miss this one....
ya call the store at least 3 hours b4 so a lesson behind you can get there easier and the teacher can get out sooner b/c its rude if you dont
I don't go to a store.I go to a music professor who teaches in his home and I'm the first in the am and I gave him over a days notice.
Quote by kenbiki
...seems that my teacher insists on me making up the time slot,in other words,doubling up the next week..........

same with my teacher, sometimes he just wanted the exercises from the week before to sound more clean "You obviusly played a lot, it's supossed to sound right"

it's gives you certain feel of discipline, and eventually, it makes you a better musician (proably a better person)
My teacher asks that you call the day before if you can't make it, then you can either skip the lesson and pick up next week or reschedule for a different time. If you don't call you're charged for the lesson as per normal.

If you're sick on the day and call they won't charge you for the lesson if you provide a doctors note.
I'm feeling very stressed and am starting to feel like I'm done with it all.It's soo hard as a beginner to learn guitar,as you all know.I've never done anything musical in my life and I'm not a youngster now.I'm learning notation and try real hard...........but I'm sick and tired of being stressed out over it and now I'm even more stressed with getting sick and now having to worry about making up or doubling up the missed lesson.I do this for pleasure and it feels like a job now.Maybe I need to find a teacher that will let me learn at a more comfortable pace for me.Or maybe I need to turn to learning tab.Idon't know....ugh I don't want to quit,I really want to learn to play.......what should I do??
Quote by kenbiki
I'm feeling very stressed and am starting to feel like I'm done with it all.It's soo hard as a beginner to learn guitar,as you all know.I've never done anything musical in my life and I'm not a youngster now.I'm learning notation and try real hard...........but I'm sick and tired of being stressed out over it and now I'm even more stressed with getting sick and now having to worry about making up or doubling up the missed lesson.I do this for pleasure and it feels like a job now.Maybe I need to find a teacher that will let me learn at a more comfortable pace for me.Or maybe I need to turn to learning tab.Idon't know....ugh I don't want to quit,I really want to learn to play.......what should I do??

Maybe you need to find a teacher that you can think of as 'my cool friend that teaches me to learn guitar', rather than 'the dickhead professor who ruins my life and makes guitar seem rubbish'.

It sounds to me like your teacher is too formal for you (for others that may be a good thing, but for you it doesn't seem to be). I suggest you find a new teacher who you respect, and you both have similar music interests, etc.
Man, learning guitar should be a great experience. It's supposed to be fun otherwise what's the point =).

My teacher is a punk and covered in tattoos. Our lessons consist of him teaching me guitar while we shoot the breeze together. Honestly couldn't imagine learning guitar from a "professor"
I would love that kind of teacher.Mine shoots the breeze as well,but it's a problem because it seems I'm his personal shrink.....and I hear.alll about his lifes woesand then we squeeze some playing in.The more I post here the more I'm realizing that this isn't a good mix between my teacher and me.
My teacher usually lets me make it up the next week. I have to pay at the beginning of the month so he basically gives me credit to another lesson. But defiantly always call asap if your not going i'm a teacher also and i get very ticked off when a student just skips there is defiantly other things i could do if i knew.
if u gave him plenty of notice then he's just bein a d*** for treating u that way. dont take it too seriously and if u do get a new teacher.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!
I agree......I don't think I deserve that either,he got lots of notice.
me and my guitar teacher were like friends, wed jsut talk about music, hed ask what i wanted to learn, where i was headed and hed gear stuff towards that.

if either of us had to cancel a lesson it was okay. try to find a teacher like this.
Jackson DKMG Dinky, Ibanez RG 7321, Ibanez RG 350EX
Bugera 6262-212 (120 watt), Line 6 Spider lll (30 watt)

Pearl Forum Series Drums
Sabian B8 Cymbals (ride, hi-hats, 3x crash, splash)
my teacher's a jazz guitarist, he's a rreally good bloke, we sit and work through whatever it is im learning and while he's writting things down for me we talk aobut all sorts of stuff.

I find this the best way to learn, he's like a friend, i dont think i'd learn GUITAR from a proffessor, purhaps theory, but not how to actualy play the instrument.

if i were you i'd find a new teacher
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive