Page 1 of 2
I'm considering getting an acoustic guitar, but I'm not sure if it's something I would actually get good use out of. I kinda want to try something different then electric.

Right now I have a Epiphone Les Paul Studio that I play (I've only been playing for a few months, still learning). Most of what I like to play is various forms of metal, some hard rock and video game music. I really haven't played any songs that are mostly/all chords (I only have the basic chords memorized) . I don't think I would want to play chord heavy stuff, so I'm not even sure if I would play an acoustic for a week and never touch it again or not.

I was looking for an acoustic (non-electric) with a cutaway body. Preferably solid top, because I hear they sound better (is it that big of a difference?). I've been looking around and reading the forums, the Takamine G340SC seems like it would be what I'm looking for and it's in my price range. My only real concern is that I want something with low-ish action, something that's not gonna be really hard to play.

I'm either gonna pick up and acoustic guitar or a Roland Cube 30x amp to replace my Line 6 Spider III 15w amp.

Can anyone lend me some advice or any suggestions. I can't make up my mind.
get the Roland Cube and use the acoustic settings
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest

I thought about that. But my guitar doesn't sound all that clean on the clean settings, it could just be my crappy Spider III tho. Plus I like the idea of just grabbing the guitar and playing unplugged.
As is always said, your best bet is to go to a shop and try them out for yourself. Personally I enjoy the challenge of heavier action on acoustics. It will only improve your playing. It makes electric so easy to play, when you switch back!
Quote by Mr E
As is always said, your best bet is to go to a shop and try them out for yourself. Personally I enjoy the challenge of heavier action on acoustics. It will only improve your playing. It makes electric so easy to play, when you switch back!

so true there

i started with acoustic then when i actually bought an electric i found it needs less pressure than an acoustic
UG Radio

Quote by ddrocksv3_4xpk
Thine Behold one rollin?
Quote by _T_H_R_I_C_E_
Lo, and the other lads be hating,
gallyvanting around,
attempting to catch me cycling in an unsavory fashion.

XBL: Panzyz

PSN: Dasan104
I've had the same thots between saving up for a Ibanez AEL20e or another elctric. Go with the accoustic, if you dont have one, but get an electric if u do.Its always good to just pick it up and play.
So, in the event that I do decided to grab an acoustic, is that Takamine that I linked good? I'm a little weary on the size of it. Although, I felt a little awkward playing my Les Paul at first, having previously played a Strat.
When it comes down to tone, size is, to an extent, really needed in order for the guitar to be able to push out the air.

That takamine you liked is a pretty decent guitar. In my opinion, it's also a much better choice than any Ibanez guitar in the range because Ibanez's Art and Exotic wood series guitars are made of laminate.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I've heard nothing but good things about that Takamine, go for it. You won't be disappointed. =]

If you fall in love with acoustic like I did, you will use it a ton. I use my acoustic a lot more than my electric, and I'm a pretty big metal fan. Go look up Andy Mckee, Antoine Dufour, Don Ross, Eric Mongrain, and other acoustic finger style artists to get inspired.

You'll get used to the size by the way, my first acoustic felt really weird at first, but it's grown on me to the point that my electric feels weird.

Quote by octavarium78

Can you do this on an electric guitar with acoustic settings?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbndgwfG22k

Didn't think so... It may "sound" like an acoustic, but it's far from it.
If you have a friend who's got a spare acoustic he'd be willing to lend you, ask for it. Play it alot, and see if you play it enough to actually want to invest into one.

I bought one because i switched from a power metal fan to a more mellow acoustic singer/songwriter type of music
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
I like my Yamaha F335 and its nice being able to take it around with you and not need an amp.
Guitars Owned: Yamaha F335
I would say definitely get an acoustic. And the Tak you linked to is a fine choice for $300. It's probably not the best sounding guitar out there for $300, but if you want a cutaway then it's
the way to go here.

As for action, you can never be sure what kind of action you'll get on a guitar if you order it online or something instead of buying the exact guitar from a shop. Action isn't ever really anything I worry about when I buy a guitar though. Action can always be adjusted, and most guitars need a set up when they are brand new anyway.

You are definitely going to find that it'll be a helluva lot harder to play than your electric regardless of how high or low the action is. Acoustic guitars use heavier strings and have higher action. They are just harder to play. There's no way around it really.
I think everyone should own at least one acoustic. They just bring out a whole new world of sound, technique, and emotion into your playing. I own 2 electrics and 2 acoustics, and about 4 years ago I just decided to stick with steel string acoustic. Electric guitars never really did much for me, it just seemed to generic to play. Acoustic really just broadens your whole music perspective.

Jimtaka hit the nail on the head about action. The acoustic will always be tougher to play, but if you play it for a few weeks or months even, your fingers will most definitely be stronger and when you play your electric it'll be so much easier to move around quickly.

I really hope you do make an acoustic guitar purchase. Please keep us updated with it and post pics if you get it. Good luck!
Tough decision. The Cube amp would serve you better in the electric area, but even the greatest of the great metalheads always have a good acoustic they can turn to. I'd say go for the acoustic first (that Takamine is good) but make sure to start up a fund for a better amp too.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Don't get the cube, get the acoustic. In the short run it may seem like both are good options, but in the long run you'll get more use out of that acoustic than the cube.

I'm looking at a Taka as well.
With that acoustic guitar he'll have a good acoustic that will last him a long time. If he never get serious about playing only acoustic he can always have it if he needs it. With the cube, on the other hand, he'll grow out of it. Don't get me wrong, the cube is a very nice solid state amp, but if he's already using a solid state amp I don't see what's the point of upgrading to another one that's only a few watts more powerful.

It's more sensible to buy something that he'll be able to use and develop his abilities on (acoustic guitar) while he develops his electric guitar playing, then when he starts to get good enough, finds a band or something similar he might have saved up enough for a more powerful tube combo or something similar.

At least that's my reasoning as to why the acoustic is a better investment over time.
Also, just for the record... just because you play mostly metal and video game songs, don't let that be a deterrent. Nothing sounds more bad ass then a well played acoustic intro to some shred... plus, playing really dissonant chords and what not (think of slower acoustic songs on metal albums). Honestly, I enjoy playing metal and rock... but nothing is more soulful and fun to play than playing some acoustic blues... which is something I would have NEVER gotten into if I didn't play the acoustic. I was a metal head until I got an acoustic... now I listen to a huge range and play a huge range. It's more fun.
Yea. If you just use a cube then you'll never get the inspiration that each individual instrument brings to it's player. It's just not the same.
Equipment:

i sold my vox ad50vt and bought an acoustic. right now im ampless and i play my acoustic more than my electric. i think its because i'm getting into more chord heavy music and singing, and it's just not the same with an electric. i dont have time to be in a band or anything so right now im just gonna stick to my acoustic and when i need an amp ill buy one.

acoustics are also harder to play so its a good idea to switch to acoustic for a while so you develop better finger strength. when i go back and play my fender tele its like a toy, i can shred it to pieces.
Get the acoustic definitely and if you want to see why check out Alterbridge acoustic on youtube. I personally get a lot of enjoyment out of being able to play the electric then switch to the acoustic and do the exact same song unplugged and you will too
Wow. I didn't think there were gonna be so many helpful responses. Thanks guy.

I think I'm just gonna go for the Takamine. I just need to head up to Guitar Center next time I get a chance and try it out.

Is there anything I should pick up to go along with a new acoustic other then a new stand and some new strings? Do you guys think I could get them to throw in a/some freebies with the guitar, or do they only do that with more expensive items?
they might throw in cheap freebies. nothing like a hard case(buy a hard case btw).
Equipment:

^yeah, hard case. and just to re-state whats already been stated, get an acoustic. its alot easier to just pick up and play when you dont have very much time and i find i hardly ever play my electric anymore. btw, i have a Takamine. they play great
I hate my sig
I went to my local Guitar Center and they didn't have the G340SC. I played a few acoustics they had around my price range (including the Takamine GS330S) and I like the sound, it was just strange trying to handle a guitar that was that big (dreadnoughts). The salesman said he could check with Takamine and try to special order me one, so he is gonna call me back tomorrow about it.

I checked out their hard cases too, the cases they had were $69.99 and up, would I be able to find a cheaper case (that's not garbage) online or elsewhere?
I have a gs330s and it's a great guitar for $300. It sounds and feels great. They're not cutaways though and if you enjoy playing the very high frets, you might want to look in to getting that other takamine that is a cutaway. That's the only negative.
Hard cases are all pretty much $70 or so. It might be cheaper online, but not by much.

As for the guitar being too big... just remember that the size and shape of the guitar contribute greatly to the sound. No other guitar will sound like that exact one you played.
Equipment:

I went back up to GC and ordered the Takamine G340SC today. I also got a hard case and some strings. Spent close to $420 after all was said and done. Now I just need to wait for it to show up.

I was a little weary about ordering it and not getting to play it beforehand, but they guy at GC told me I could return it if I didn't like it.
awesome! that particular model is pretty good. my friend has one.
Equipment:

I had an electric to start on for my first few years. Once I got an acoustic, I began playing a lot more, and improving far faster. The difference was that I could pick the acoustic up at any moment and just start playing it, if only for a few minutes. The electric was not nearly as convenient so I did not play as often.

Get a good playing acoustic. Learn your chords. Practice just strumming if ya gotta. There's countless basic chord tabs on the net. In the 90's, OLGA was the greatest thing ever to me.

Once you can play well on an acoustic, you will be far faster on your electric.

And I would HIGHLY recommend an Epiphone Masterbilt in the sub-$500 range. Nothing else comes close.
Last edited by ozshadow at Oct 10, 2008,
Quote by Silverstein14
I really hope you do make an acoustic guitar purchase. Please keep us updated with it and post pics if you get it. Good luck!

It shipped on the 13th and I got it today. It's pretty cool. Good action, not too difficult to play or anything. I just need to get used to playing on such a big guitar. Sounds great too.

Next up, I need to replace my amp, lol.
Congrats! she's a beauty.
Equipment:

I'm a pretty big metal dude, but as you can see I have an acoustic. And true be told, lately I'm playing it a lot more. Mostly because I'm practicing the basics and it's easier to grab and start playing. That said, anyone who is a fan of the guitar should have both an electric and an acoustic, just because.
The Takamine sounds good.

I'm a biased acoustic guy, but most great players, even shredders are proficient on acoustic as well, and many write most of their best stuff on acoustics.

As for action, get with a good tech and you can get the action where you want it by adjusting the action to fit the size strings you want to play.

After a few weeks the increased thickness won't be a big deal.

I started out and primarily play acoustic, but anytime I hop on my brother's Les Paul or Mockingbird they seem exceedingly easy....therefore, you may see an improvement in your playing.
My philosophy is that if you are playing guitar seriously, you should have both... Because eventually, there will be a situation where you will need one or the other. Sure as hell happened to me, thankfully my brother left his acoustic guitar at home instead of taking it to college with him lol. It gets pretty (i dont know what word to put here) when you play acoustic songs on the clean channel.
My Gear:
Squier Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider III 75w
Line 6 FBV Express

Wanted Gear:
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson ES335
Marshall JVM410H
Marshall JCM800
Dunlop Crybaby
It's good you have an acoustic now, jsut to reiterate what others say, you could get bored with electric. I'm in that rut right now, where I jsut want one awesome tone, not a bunch of crappy ones out of my spider 3 (we have the same amp). I might get a new one, but I'm kinda meh about it.....
Quote by octavarium78

this sounds horrible. for a lark I plugged my agile LP into the micro cube and turned it to acoustic and it doesn't even sound close to my acoustic plugged into the same amp. it just sounds like a muffled turd.
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah
Page 1 of 2