So today I hooked up two amps for a jam session at school: my Marshall MG and bassist's Spider II.

Now, I had the Spider II as the master amp - and wow, even when I had it on the clean channel I could get some incredible dirt from turning the Marshall low and the Spider up. It was an interesting experiment, to say the least... and to be quite honest it didn't sound that bad (at least for jazz - we were playing Chameleon most of the time)

For those who don't know, slaving an amp is when you have one amp plugged into another. The amp the guitar is plugged into (master amp) drives the second amp (slave amp) and using this method one can acquire some pretty br00t4l tones (It's said Van Halen may have done this on his first album in tandem with a variac on the master amp to achieve the Brown Sound, but I'm not entirely sure and it's all somewhat unclear anyway)

The setup went something like this: Guitar -> effects -> Spider -> line out -> Marshall MG's input. In this case, I had no effects, but you get the idea.

At times, I wish I knew someone who has a tube amp besides me so I could try it with the hope of actually achieving good tone.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by blue_strat
Don't do that again.

The Spider II actually sounds better than the Spider III... it's certainly miles ahead of my MG, but still can't touch my VK.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Wait... So you hooked a Spider into an MG?

RUN!!!!!!!!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO ONE WILL SURVIVE THE FLAMEFEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://groups.ultimat e-guitar.com/aa08s/

Squint your eyes to see clearly. Blur reality to make it real.

Quote by Magic Jim
"Jimmy! Eat your peas!"
"It's not illegal if I don't"
"k, koo"

Imagine if life was like that.

Awesome
dude, you're gonna get flamed BIG TIME.

UG's collective opinion (not mine):
MGs= Bad
Spiders= BADDER
MG+Spider= FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
My God. What have you done?
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
o lawdy.

were you playing a squier strat too?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by Exo M7
o lawdy.

were you playing a squier strat too?

Fender MIM Strat.

To be quite honest don't knock it if you haven't tried it (although the distorted tones were ****, the cleans were bearable...)
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Do this with an ENGL and an Orange and you will be treated like god

But do this with a Spider and MG, its a big
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

Quote by forsaknazrael
Eddie Van Halen did this using a dummy load box to bring the first amp back to line level. Doing this without it is quite dangerous for either amp.

So his setup was like this:

Marshall Super Lead > dummy load > effects > power amp > cab

Even if they're the same wattage? Really? I always thought it would be dangerous if they weren't - or does the wattage double as a result of having two loads?

At any rate I didn't have it up past 5 on either of them... our drummer was absent due to the impromptu nature of the jam.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
Even if they're the same wattage? Really? I always thought it would be dangerous if they weren't - or does the wattage double as a result of having two loads?

At any rate I didn't have it up past 5 on either of them... our drummer was absent due to the impromptu nature of the jam.

Wattage doesn't even really come into play here. You're basically running a full blown amp into another.

That said, you were using the line out, which I believe is at line level, so you might've been okay. I've never owned an amp with a Line Out, myself.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Wattage doesn't even really come into play here. You're basically running a full blown amp into another.

That said, you were using the line out, which I believe is at line level, so you might've been okay. I've never owned an amp with a Line Out, myself.

Ah. Good to know. Just remembered I read something along the lines of requiring a Hot Plate to do it w/ a tube amp, so thanks!
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
I wish I could have been there. I would be just sitting there with my little johnson 10 watt amp laughing that my tone was more br00tal than yours

xD
black hole inc
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups