Ok so I'm saving up for all the HFA liscenses so the bands can get their royalties so don't say stuff like that's illegal...

But anyway, my band is doing a cover album and an original album, because we're working on writing songs but the place we live near/by/in, the gigs are almost all exclusive to covers, so we're doing 2 covers per person to play during gigs, and with 5 people that'll be 10 covers, once we find a drummer and a singer. But so far we only have 6 covers, and I wanna know what you guys think we should have the set list as...

We have:

Too Young to Fall in Love
Master of Puppets
Sweet Child O' Mine
Walk this Way
Pretty Woman
Flying High Again

What order should we put them in so far? and once we have the other 2 members and 4 songs, I'll put them up too.

Thanks
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!
whatever was in the top 10 in the past 20years on the charts.
blink, greenday, lenny kravitz, u2, goo goo dolls, smash mouth, nickleback...

just go to see other cover acts and see what they do.
Don't worry so much about 'saving up.' At a going rate of about 8 cents per manufactured copy, ten cover songs on a CD will mean paying 70-something cents per disc. Mind you, if you duplicate 500 CDs, you're are on the hook for almost $400 for licencing fees. At roughly $2 per disc for manufacturing costs, that puts you at about $2.75 per disc. Price them at $5 a disc and sell half of your CDs and you've broken even. Anything above that is profit.

The biggest cost is the manufacturing.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Funny that *all* that stuff is 20+ years old. (it all reminds me of my teen years... haha) I'd try to include some newer stuff too.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by Hadeed
whatever was in the top 10 in the past 20years on the charts.
blink, greenday, lenny kravitz, u2, goo goo dolls, smash mouth, nickleback...

just go to see other cover acts and see what they do.

We don't like old stuff though We like 60's - early 80's, and our main influences are Ozzy, Quiet Riot, Motley Crue, Guns N' Roses, Van Halen, and Aerosmith.

Also, we don't like the lame soft rock like Green Day, Good Goo Dolls, and Nickleback. And it wouldn't make any sense making a cover album of songs we don't like just cuz it was popular and people wanna hear it. We're not sellin out before we get famous lol
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!
Quote by axemanchris
Don't worry so much about 'saving up.' At a going rate of about 8 cents per manufactured copy, ten cover songs on a CD will mean paying 70-something cents per disc. Mind you, if you duplicate 500 CDs, you're are on the hook for almost $400 for licencing fees. At roughly $2 per disc for manufacturing costs, that puts you at about $2.75 per disc. Price them at $5 a disc and sell half of your CDs and you've broken even. Anything above that is profit.

The biggest cost is the manufacturing.

The HFA liscenses are: $0.091 for every album for a song 5 minutes or under, and for songs that are over 5 minutes, they are $0.0175 for every minute for every album.

And you have to order for up to 2,500; but we're going to do 1,000 at a time.

Guitar Center will duplicate a CD, and it has a lyrics book, jewel, CD design, and tray sheet in the back with the track listing all for $2.50 each I think, so we're going to do that, and we can get the recording for free because the bassist's dad's friend is going to record it for us, and he has good recording gear.
Quote by IDread

Quote by RIPKurt67-94

I hijacked this!
Nice songs! My band also covers like half of them

If we were to do it, this is how we'd order them:

Sweet Child O Mine
Pretty Woman
Flying High Again
Walk This Way
Too Young for Love
Master of Puppets

You know, so it kinda builds up till the MoP solo which kinda kills everything... except for Flying High Again. (in my band's opinion)

As for how much things would cost... yeah manufacturing is gonna be the bitch.
Quote by Corruption
We don't like old stuff though We like 60's - early 80's, and our main influences are Ozzy, Quiet Riot, Motley Crue, Guns N' Roses, Van Halen, and Aerosmith.

Also, we don't like the lame soft rock like Green Day, Good Goo Dolls, and Nickleback. And it wouldn't make any sense making a cover album of songs we don't like just cuz it was popular and people wanna hear it. We're not sellin out before we get famous lol

To be fair, Green Day and Nickelback aren't soft rock (although Nickelback sucks).
Play a heavier Nickelback song and you make people who (somehow) haven't heard Rockstar that they are more than just Soft Rock, which is a good thing

How's about covering Judas Priest - Metal Gods, that would be very cool
Quote by Superstrat101
Nice songs! My band also covers like half of them

If we were to do it, this is how we'd order them:

Sweet Child O Mine
Pretty Woman
Flying High Again
Walk This Way
Too Young for Love
Master of Puppets

You know, so it kinda builds up till the MoP solo which kinda kills everything... except for Flying High Again. (in my band's opinion)

As for how much things would cost... yeah manufacturing is gonna be the bitch.

Yeah I know, I was thinking maybe go from lightest to heaviest like this:

Pretty Woman
Sweet Child O' Mine
Too Young to Fall in Love
Walk this Way
Flying High Again
Master of Puppets
Quote by IDread

Quote by RIPKurt67-94

I hijacked this!
Earlier Goo Goo Dolls are absolutely amazing. Check out Superstar Car Wash and Boy Named Goo. Stellar stuff.

Interesting the difference in rates. CMRRA rates are 8.1 cents for the first five minutes and 1.62 cents per additional minute. They have a "pay as you press" plan that allows you to do as few copies as you want.

CT

you should try and make the songs really different if you plan on making a cover album imo, no body wants to hear a cd of some band trying to be as good as the original