Hi guys. I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on learning new songs, like how should I go about learning them? Ive been playing guitar for 2 years and 8 months and i can play somewhat good but I cant play fast. That's one of my problems is speed so I was wondering if anyone could help me because I know speed does help to play a song and to have speed you have to have technique or so I've been told. I taught myself guitar and by now I know the Major Pentatonic scale and some chords. Mostly I know only parts of songs and I really want to learn whole songs just not sure how to go about doing it.

Some of my current influences (with videos):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXg6BThErmQ I really want to learn this song all the way, but I have yet to get the intro down pat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yYsCtE3zlg I also want to learn this song too but haven't even tried on the arpeggios or whatnot.

If there's any help out there, please help.
Quote by NGD1313
Yes, my mom walked in on me getting my carrot skinned.

So I freaked out and flipped the vegetable tray.

There was ranch everywhere.
What I do if i can't play something fast, is to get the tab in Guitar Pro and set it for 50% speed, then go up the BPMs until i get to 75%, then go down back to 50% for a bit, and back up to 75%, overshoot it a bit, so when i get back to 80% speed or something, it seems a lot easier.

By experimenting like that, you play play along the GP file at 100% speed in no time.

BTW, I've been playing guitar for 5 years, but only seriously for about 2, and until recently I only knew just a few songs all the way through.
Ah another A7X fan, nice to see that. I don't really know what songs to recommend to you because I don't really know how I could gauge what's too hard or not challenging enough for you, maybe some Killswitch Engage? Guitar-wise it's sort of like A7X but simpler.
As for how to practice, the way I do it is by following these steps

1. Find a good tab of a song
2. Break down the parts of the song using a little intuition you gotta break it down into manageable chunks (I usually try and go for 4 bars of music at a time)
3. Practice that part of the song over and over until you can do it comfortably and up to speed
4. Start practicing the next part of the song seperately, then start practicing playing the parts you've learned together so you can work on the transition from one part to another

Doing so like this, is a little slow but I think it's the most sound way of learning a song if you really want to make it sound good.
As for your speed problem, do you just practice songs or do you do finger, picking, and rhythm exercises too? If you do those I'm sure you're speed will increase rather quick.

Last Note: Always try and break down everything you practice into the most specific and then start integrating with other things (ex: if you're doing exercises for your fretting hand to build up finger dexterity do that until you get better, then you may try finger exercises that are only legato or anything that adds another element to the exercise.)
Last edited by LightxGrenade at Oct 3, 2008,
I only play songs and whatnot. I dont know any finger exercises. Also another problem is my pinky strength and ring finger strength.
Quote by NGD1313

Quote by Gorre
I only play songs and whatnot. I dont know any finger exercises. Also another problem is my pinky strength and ring finger strength.
Then what I recommend you do is start learning finger, and picking exercises. Truth is you can pretty much create your own exercises but UG has a crapload of articles about finger and picking exercises where they show you some great ones, or you can go on youtube and check out literally millions of exercises. Exercises like those will make you- play cleaner, play faster, feel more comfortable around the neck, and bring your picking hand up to speed. Don't forget rhythm exercises cuz what's the point of having blazing speed if you can't keep it in rhythm.
I'm not saying don't practicing songs, but try and dedicate at least 15 to 20 minutes in the beginning on some finger/picking exercises and I promise you that you'll have results that are noticeable within the first month or few weeks
i've been playing for about three years and the only song i know the whole way through is
stairway to heaven

just keep practicing small sections of a song at slower speeds and build it up thats what i do

and if you don't have guitar pro i would get it. it is the best tool for developing speed
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Custom Built Acoustic
Epiphone Valve Special
Marshall Guv'nor GV2
tanglewood 1000 pu resonator
washborn acoustic
My Build
Hey bluesnewb, how did you get the finger picking down on Stairway to Heaven? I keep trying but I cant seem to switch my fingers fast enough to get the double notes (like the chord but 2 notes on like the d and e strings)
Quote by NGD1313

Quote by Gorre
Hey bluesnewb, how did you get the finger picking down on Stairway to Heaven? I keep trying but I cant seem to switch my fingers fast enough to get the double notes (like the chord but 2 notes on like the d and e strings)

What exactly do you mean? Do you mean the arpeggios at the beginning of the song? If so you need to hold down the chord shapes so that all the notes ring together, but if that's not the problem then I am confused by what is.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
E-------5-7-----7-|
B-----5-----5-----|
G---5---------5---|
D-7-------6-------|
A-----------------|
E-----------------|

the 7 and 6 on the e and d strings. I cant switch from the 5 to the 7 and 6 very fast. Same with the others.
Quote by NGD1313

Quote by Gorre
E-------5-7-----7-|
B-----5-----5-----|
G---5---------5---|
D-7-------6-------|
A-----------------|
E-----------------|

the 7 and 6 on the e and d strings. I cant switch from the 5 to the 7 and 6 very fast. Same with the others.

During that part your index finger should stay barred across the 5th fret until the position shift down to 2nd position. Your third finger should get the A (7th fret) then at the switch your 2nd finger hits the Ab/G# (6th fret) and I personally use my pinky for the notes on the top E.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.