ok long have i been debating my next amp. for a while i was almost decided on a ceriatone overtone, but once i factored in shipping and having to get a cab and stuff i decided against it. so.........

I've been hearing a lot of good things about mesas. everyone recommends them to me, but not one in particular. i've heard a mark three in action and it sounded damn good to me. so the first question is, which mesa amp amp would get me the tones like these?

Steely Dan - mainly Kid charlemagne, don't take me alive, reelin in the years
Anything santana
John mayer
Larry carlton
Joe Bonamassa
SRV/Hendrix-ish.

Ok so i know one amp probably won't get me all of those, but in the end which mesa will get me closest? i don't want to spend much more than 1,000 american, btw. recommend me an amp from a different brand if you want i guess, if it would be good for what i listed.

and the second question is: What pickups would be good for my epi les paul to get the Steely dan, santana, carlton-esque tones i mentioned?

thanks for reading all of that! let the opinions and recommendations begin!
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Quote by LukeBTH
Possibly a stiletto ace or a lone star?

Or maybe a Nomad. I know the Stiletto can do those tones though. An F-50 might get it as well.
EDIT: Forgot about pickups. Worry about the pickups after you get your amp and spend a few months fiddling around with it. If you find you need some slight change in the tone that you can't get with the amp, that's the time to worry about pickups.
Last edited by Nightfyre at Oct 3, 2008,
An Overtone Special does sound nice.

Is it to expensive to buy one of the kits and build it yourself, then buy maybe an avatar 1 or 2x12? That may be more cost effective.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I don't have any knowledge of how to assemble stuff like that and then adding the avatar cab or whatever would cost more. plus a cab for the amp itself if i got an unassembled one.

basically, i'd like a very versatile amp that will get me that dumble tone, and allow me to tailor my own sounds too, for abou 1,000. suggestions? mesa or different brand?
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

it's a awkward budget for an amp with those tones, maybe sell the hot rod to get a bit more and look into used mesa mark III's and IV's, vox ac30s and heritage ac15, riveras, and oranges even.

how loud do you need to be?
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I need to be loud enough for clubs and medium sized outdoor gigs. My HRD has been loud enough so for for every gig i've played, so i figure 40 watts and a 12 inch speaker is probably about good. does a mark IV just have more gain on it?
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

yeah, mark iv's have plenty of gain on tap. it's also a lot more flexible than the hrd, which is mostly why it's much more expensive.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
well the mesa mark 1 sounds similar to a Dumble, plus santana uses it often. i would also think a lonestar would work well too.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Well i just played through a Hiwatt.......i can't remember what model it was but was awesome!!!!! the controls on it were bright, bass, treble, presence, volume, and master volume and there were two inputs for the normal channel and two for the bright channel. I was so engrossed in the amp that i didn't even notice the model.

can you help me identify which model it is? it might ring a bell if you say something..........

anyway, the amp was a lot different then the sound i thought i was looking at. it's sounded very british, and i pushed it a bit more with my TS9. the best part was when had my TS9 really pushing it hard and i had the amp turned up super loud. i put on my slide and got instant Duane Allman slide tone. i'm excited and intrigued for sure.

Edit: Found out now it's a hiwatt custom 50. Just to clarify, the old owner of the amp isn't around anymore so i may be able to get this amp at a very low price. we'll see!!!!!
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

Last edited by LP51122 at Oct 4, 2008,
Anyone out played/own a Hiwatt and have an opinion? just curious
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

Quote by LP51122
Anyone out played/own a Hiwatt and have an opinion? just curious

Dude, if you don't buy that amp, I will go to wherever you are and kick you in the nuts.

The Hiwatt Custom 50 is an OUTSTANDING amp.
Quote by imgooley
Dude, if you don't buy that amp, I will go to wherever you are and kick you in the nuts.

The Hiwatt Custom 50 is an OUTSTANDING amp.

lol goolz

I really liked it a lot. It had a different tone then i was looking for but it was really sweet. Not the dumble ODS sound, but more of an articulate/fancy sounding marshall i think. we'll see if i can get it if the future.............

But for now i'll stick with my HRD and TS9. It's sounding pretty good the way i have it setup.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2