Any tips on how to? I mean we can all shred up and down the scales, but thats not really melodic. Is it just something that some people can do and others cant ( or just need to work more)? Any advice along the lines of stuff like modes? Just listening to Buckethead and some others makes me wonder how they can stay over one melody for so long and not run out of ideas AND keep it melodic.
Im not JUST talking about soloing btw
Legato is your friend. Run scales in legato form. like A Dorian or A Natural Minor
Quote by RapterX
Legato is your friend. Run scales in legato form. like A Dorian or A Natural Minor
How is running through scales, melodic?

I don't quite get what you're asking? Wouldn't it be just like writing any other type of song?

Edit: Yeah, even though they'll play over something, there is still a structure. There's always an intro of some sort, an outro of some sort, a motif, a climax, different feelings/vibes throughout the song, etc.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Oct 3, 2008,
Ive never seen the video, but from what I hear around here, Melodic Control is a must see video. I think its in one of the boyz sig too. Im sure someone will come in this thread and elaborate as I dont know much about it, just that some people live by it.

After much searching I have discovered that bangoodcharlote is the one who lives by that video.

The video is by marty friedman. Definitely check it out.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Last edited by justin_fraser at Oct 3, 2008,
Quote by justin_fraser
Ive never seen the video, but from what I hear around here, Melodic Control is a must see video. I think its in one of the boyz sig too. Im sure someone will come in this thread and elaborate as I dont know much about it, just that some people live by it.

After much searching I have discovered that bangoodcharlote is the one who lives by that video.

The video is by marty friedman. Definitely check it out.
Melodic Control is more about how to solo by following changes but it's still a good video.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
The way shredding is used most effectively, IMMHOHO, is when it's used in bursts. Play something slow or even fast but not blistering fast, then use a fast, sweep-picked diminished arpeggio to create some tension and then release it by going back to slow stuff.

My favorite solo is Marty Friedman's solo in Megadeth's "Tornado of Souls." While not everyone considers it the best solo in metal, many do and almost everyone recognizes its brilliance. Rumor has it that Marty, the brand new Megadeth guitarist, improvised that solo on the first take and afterwards, Mustaine shook his hand as if to say, "Yup, you're the guy for Megadeth." Anyway, listen to that solo and hear how Friedman plays with restraint for the first 2/3 ish. Yes, during that time, he does a few sweeps and bursts, but his playing is mainly 8th notes; while 8th notes at 190+ bpm are fast, they aren't shred-fast. In the final 1/3 of the solo, Marty has built up to a climax and then goes crazy.

Think of soloing like an crime film. You have the police doing their slow-moving, but interesting investigative work with a little bit of action thrown in, and then in the final scene (ish), they shoot it out with the bad guy in a pure badass action sequence. This is basically L.A. Confidential, but if you haven't seen it, I haven't ruined anything for you, and if you have seen it, you know exactly what I'm talking about. The same is true for other crime classics like The Departed or The French Connection, and I'm sure you've seen at least one of the three, most likely The Departed.

That Melodic Control video is linked in my sig.
Quote by ratiug75
Hey guys....Please check out my site www.guitarchops101.com It will get bigger and better i promise.

This isn't the right place for it. I thought you were advertising at first but your site doesn't sell anything. I'm sure if you made a thread about it or something we could add comments/suggestions (if that's cool with the mods) but not here.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by Lrn2play
I mean we can all shred up and down the scales
Not me! Yay I'm different!

Look at your favourite melodies, analyse them and apply it to your own melodies.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by RapterX

do you know what you are talking about?
Running scales isnt melodic at all. its boring and it sounds like practising. And the last part with the dorian and aeolian was unneeded.

To TS:

Watch Marty Friedman's melodic control. Listen to melodic shredders. Paul gilbert comes to mind. Get some influences from the blues; they have great phrasing ideas. Play some rhythm guitar to add some rhythmic devices into your solos.
Quote by Lrn2play
Any tips on how to? I mean we can all shred up and down the scales, but thats not really melodic. Is it just something that some people can do and others cant ( or just need to work more)? Any advice along the lines of stuff like modes? Just listening to Buckethead and some others makes me wonder how they can stay over one melody for so long and not run out of ideas AND keep it melodic.
Im not JUST talking about soloing btw

Melodic shredding, like, with all things music, just takes a little "know how". Just be aware of what's going on around you harmonically.

If you execute the shred run at the right time, it'll sound melodic. In my opinion, shredding is most effective when used sparingly.

Also, check out any Guthrie Govan vid on YouTube where he's jamming to some backing tracks.
Last edited by mdc at Oct 5, 2008,