ratm92
Calm Like a Bomb
670 IQ
so i am writing a song for a school project and i was planning on having it be a satriani esque guitar instrumental with some guitars and some distortion and some effects and blah blah....BUT

i was bored and started improvising random scales, and i started playing in E byzantine and its fricken awesome. im thinking of making a really clean exotic song out of it and maybe even throwing in some enigmatic. i was just wondering if someone here could give me some background information on the byzantine scale and its typical use, time sigs, and some history since after all it is a school project.

thanks a lot guys
Quote by loganrocksabass

how can your girlfriend be in your band if she's in the kitchen?
TK1
The Roaming Minstrel
951 IQ
good stuff...

i like the part where it refers it to a phrygian dominant scale. the solo to YYZ is in B Spanish Phrygian, which im studying as of a month ago..
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Bluestube
43 IQ
Awhatnow scale?

i know many scales but that one i have never heard of!
TK1
The Roaming Minstrel
951 IQ
as for your question, which i see now lol, here is how its made and a little history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_scale
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
metal4all
Always tripping
922 IQ
Just throwin it out there, you could probably mix in Phrygian Dominant (1, b2, 3, 4, 5, b6, b7) since it's so close to Byzantine. If it's going to be Satriani-esque then pitch-axis like that will be your best bet.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
ratm92
Calm Like a Bomb
670 IQ
Quote by metal4all
Just throwin it out there, you could probably mix in Phrygian Dominant (1, b2, 3, 4, 5, b6, b7) since it's so close to Byzantine. If it's going to be Satriani-esque then pitch-axis like that will be your best bet.

can you possibly elaborate a little on pitch axis there?

also maybe some suggestions about a backing chord progression with this type of scale being used
Quote by loganrocksabass

Galvanise69
Banned
370 IQ
I really love Bela Bartok. Could he actually play, or was he just a composer (it sounds insulting the way Ive said "just" a composer, but thats definatley NOT how I meant it)

So let me get this straight, Byzantine, Double Harmonic, Gypsy and Arabic are all the same scale.

Ive firstly heard of it as the Double Harmonic: 1 b2 3 4 5 b6 7

On freakguitar Arabic was listed as a Whole-Half from memory.

And people reffering to Phrygian as Spanish Phrygian and Phrygian Major, I can understand Phrygian Major, and Phrygian Dominant, especially Phrygian Dominant, because it reflects the scale construction, Dominant scale being a scale with a Maj 3rd and Minor 7th.

So many different names, and most of them are about 7 names for the same thing : (

Tbh: Gypsy/Byzantine/Double Harmonic seems just a Phrygian Dominant with a raised LT.

If your going to construct a progression from it, which I dont know how possible considering you would be trying to make the progression resolve to a Dominant 7 for your I which contains the tri-tone, and WANTS to resolve.

Anyway, Im open for anything.
Freepower
v It's Back! :D
3,277 IQ
^ well, don't forget there's more things up your sleeve than just harmonic resolution. Melodic contour, rhythmic devices, special effects/instrumentation can make all the difference.

Here's what I did in the last 5 minutes because I don't have owt better to be doing.
Attachments:
byzantine.zip
metal4all
Always tripping
922 IQ
Quote by ratm92
can you possibly elaborate a little on pitch axis there?

also maybe some suggestions about a backing chord progression with this type of scale being used
Sweet 'n simply put: Pitch axis is when you use a pitch, or note, as an axis, or pivot point. You use one note to transfer to different scales. You basically play whatever the hell you want as long as you resolve to the pivot tone. Example: Dmin - Dsus - Dmaj - D7 - Dmin and use the respective D scales over them. Satch loves that kind of stuff. He'll do stuff like a fast ascending lick in major and then descend in lydian (not a specific example, just a general idea).
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
s7706
1,268 IQ
That byzantine scale sounds similar to a harmonic minor mode?
ratm92
Calm Like a Bomb
670 IQ
Quote by metal4all
Sweet 'n simply put: Pitch axis is when you use a pitch, or note, as an axis, or pivot point. You use one note to transfer to different scales. You basically play whatever the hell you want as long as you resolve to the pivot tone. Example: Dmin - Dsus - Dmaj - D7 - Dmin and use the respective D scales over them. Satch loves that kind of stuff. He'll do stuff like a fast ascending lick in major and then descend in lydian (not a specific example, just a general idea).

got it, thanks man. i was aware of that technique but apparently didnt know it by name
Quote by loganrocksabass

demonofthenight
UG Spammer
976 IQ
Might sound good in an instrumental song...

But how would you write a singing melody with it? Avoiding 1 augmented second interval in minor scales is sort of hard, but 2 augmented second intervals? Keep in mind the human voices naturally finds augmented second intervals hard to sing. Theres a few jazz singers out there that have no trouble with this, but also keep in mind catchy melodies are hummable/singable.

Resolving wouldnt be that hard though. Personally, I would call this scales a phrygian dominant with a raised seventh and use it to resolve modal phrygian dominant progressions. Just my two cents.
bangoodcharlote
Fractal
855 IQ
Quote by demonofthenight
But how would you write a singing melody with it?
My idea is that you use the Byzantine Scale for the instrumental sections, and Phrygian for the parts that contain vocals.
ratm92
Calm Like a Bomb
670 IQ
i wasnt planning on it having vocals, so that wouldnt be a problem
Quote by loganrocksabass

demonofthenight
UG Spammer
976 IQ
Quote by ratm92
i wasnt planning on it having vocals, so that wouldnt be a problem
The catchiest melodies are singable. You might want to write one or two singable melodies even if they're just being played on guitar.