I'm looking to get a good late 70s/early 80s Venom/Diamond Head/Metallica Kill 'em All tone.

So far the closest I can come to is bass(4) mid (6) treble (9) drive (7)
Sometimes tuned down half a step or a full step (usually for Venom)
If I turn the mids down below 3 or 4 I find it sounds really bad when palm muting

Anyone have any suggestions or can recommend a pedal?
Amp? Pickups? Guitar?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Well i play alot of Saxon tunes. I use my Paul with treble at 8, mids at 5 bass at 6.

Sounds alot like there tone.

Best way to get a good NWOBHM sound really is to have a nice tube amp and a axe w/ humbuckers.
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 Spider III 75 (junk)

Dean ML with stock Dean pickups
Jackson Randy Rhoadsjs30 with stock Jackson pickups
BC Rich Warlock with Dimebucker
Well, the way that Hetfield got that Chugging Rhythm tone was very heavy palm muting with EMG's (usually an 81) or other high output pickups (numerous Seymour Duncans, Dimarzio X2n, etc.), and a boost on his amp (a Digitech Bad Monkey or an Ibanez TS-808). Also, try replacing the speaker in the VK- it unmuddies the sound a lot.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.