This is REALLY pissing me off.

I have an NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS with two monitors plugged in; a 22 inch LCD plugged in to the VGA port, and a 15 inch LCD plugged into the DVI port with a DVI to VGA adapter. When I go in to the settings to configure the monitors, it says that both monitors are being detected, I can extend my desktop to the 15 inch, I can configure the positions of the monitors, and everything seems to be "working."

I use the term "working" loosely because everything's being detected and it'll let me go into dual-monitor mode (I know this because it lets me drag windows over to the other monitor), however, the 15 inch, it just won't turn on. I know the monitor's working as I plugged it into the VGA port and it worked, and the DVI port is fine because how else would the monitor be detected? And like I said, I know for a fact that it works because it will let me drag windows over from my primary monitor to the secondary monitor/extended desktop, even though the secondary monitor's black and I'm only getting the yellow standby light.

Please help me fix this stressful issue.

EDIT: I spent two hours on Google getting troubleshooting tips, including rebooting about 15 times. Still, no luck.
Last edited by MattIsTheCosby at Oct 3, 2008,
The second one is probably not plugged in all the way. There is also the possibliity that the monitor is broken, or the cord for the monitor is broken. unplug the broken monitor from the comp, and check the end of the cord that plugged in. Look at the pins, are any broken bent or missing?
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.
Can you not drag windows over to the other side anyways, it appears if they are disappearing of the screen even if you don't have a second monitor.

This sounds like a configuration problem, check to make sure the monitor works fine by using just the 15" in the VGA port.

Can I suggest using the 22" in the DVI and the 15" in the VGA?
Quote by algemar
The second one is probably not plugged in all the way. There is also the possibliity that the monitor is broken, or the cord for the monitor is broken. unplug the broken monitor from the comp, and check the end of the cord that plugged in. Look at the pins, are any broken bent or missing?

I just checked, everything's fine. I even tried plugging my secondary monitor into the VGA port again, it worked fine with the same cord and monitor.

Quote by rhythm42
Can you not drag windows over to the other side anyways, it appears if they are disappearing of the screen even if you don't have a second monitor.

This sounds like a configuration problem, check to make sure the monitor works fine by using just the 15" in the VGA port.

Can I suggest using the 22" in the DVI and the 15" in the VGA?

I tried all that too.
Is it ONLY the 15" monitor not working? Or is it just the extended desktop monitor, whichever one it is, that isn't showing up?

If it's just the 15" monitor not working, get your warranty and send it back?
I had this prob with my laptop, my problem was that because I also had an s-video port, the dual monitor was set to that (It was configured so that my second monitor would be a TV), so I went into my graphics menu (Not the windows one, the fancy one that is made just for the graphics config) and changed it to be a normal monitor as second monitor

Sorry if I haven't explained it well, I jost woke up and my blood sugar is kinda low, so yeah.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by st.stephen
Is it ONLY the 15" monitor not working? Or is it just the extended desktop monitor, whichever one it is, that isn't showing up?

If it's just the 15" monitor not working, get your warranty and send it back?

The 15" is the extended desktop.

Wow, I should have worded it better, I apologize for any confusion.
Quote by Jesstaa
I had this prob with my laptop, my problem was that because I also had an s-video port, the dual monitor was set to that (It was configured so that my second monitor would be a TV), so I went into my graphics menu (Not the windows one, the fancy one that is made just for the graphics config) and changed it to be a normal monitor as second monitor

Sorry if I haven't explained it well, I jost woke up and my blood sugar is kinda low, so yeah.

Where would you go in the panel to change it? (I have an NVIDIA card.)

(Excuse my Double Post.)
I have absolutely no clue for nVidia, my card is an ATI..You might just have to search a little. Should be easy to find
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by Jesstaa
I have absolutely no clue for nVidia, my card is an ATI..You might just have to search a little. Should be easy to find

Oh, okay, you were a huge help anyway, thanks.
Sorry if this sounds a bit douchey, but why do you need more than one monitor? I've seen them used in hospitals to look at X-Rays and stuff, but why for home use?
Quote by fretsonfire74
Sorry if this sounds a bit douchey, but why do you need more than one monitor? I've seen them used in hospitals to look at X-Rays and stuff, but why for home use?

I've used it in school, and people are not BSing you when they say that's it's a huge productivity boost. Especially for me, considering that I run a minimum of three programs almost all the time.
You need to make sure the resolution is set low enough on the 15 inch monitor. Sometimes the card doesnt detect the highest resolution properly and it ends up pushing it above what it can do resulting in it not turning on properly.

I generally dont run dual screen with different sized monitors of more then 1 size down like 19 to a 17 or 17 to 15. I run two 21's. The mismatch in size of the image and making things line up is kind of annoying when it's too far off where there's a lot of dead space where things bank into each other and it just looks weird.

Basically you need to have it enable both monitors and I treat them as separate desktops not stretched or cloned.

Right click on the little NVIDIA icon in the tray. There should be two lines showing for the video card. One is Digital the other Analog. If you used VGA cable that's analog and the one that's DVI is digital. Click the one for the 15 inch monitor. Just saying here though you DONT want to drive your big monitor with VGA unless you have to. You want to run it DVI and run the little one VGA. I believe the DVI to VGA converters still show up as Digital on the tool at the bottom.

Pick the Screen resolution option and take it down to something really low like 800x600 or whatever it has as an option for that 15 inch screen and see if it flips on. Make sure on the other settings that it's on Dual View mode not clone. This would make it drive the 15 inch at the same resolution as the big monitor which is never possible since most 15s have tiny tiny little resolution available.
Guitars:
Legend Guitar Company OM-307QM,
Gitane John Jorgenson Gypsy Jazz Guitar,
Ibanez AG-85,
Gibson Johnny A Signature Custom

Gear:
E-MU 1820M, Guitar Box Pro, Aphex 204, 1404, Boss OC-2, QSR, Roland Cube 60, Guitar Rig 2, Crybaby 535Q
Quote by MattIsTheCosby
I've used it in school, and people are not BSing you when they say that's it's a huge productivity boost. Especially for me, considering that I run a minimum of three programs almost all the time.

Ah, I see. Thanks.