Page 1 of 2
I need recommendations for best gear to get as close to Metallica as I can. I like ESP and Jackson, have played a few Ibanez's(not that anyone in Metallica plays them) and notice that in the studio they also use Gibson LP's. I am going to be playing in my house only and will be getting a settlement so I would be willing to spend up to $5000 for all of my gear combined. I have only tried out a few things in Sam Ash and Guitar Center....only shops around me. At first I liked Line 6 Spider III than found the Spider Valve and liked that much better and have heard about the HD 147 and the flextone. I like how easy they are to get different sounds. BUT I also have heard the Mesa's and really like them. Since I am in my house only with it, I think that the half stack's might be overkill, but still really like the sound. I also like the Mesa Express amp and am thinking about using a line 6 pod XT live with it. Any one have any experience with any of this? Or are there better options out there than this? I play/learning Metallica and like rock/metal-Chili Peppers, Iron Maiden, GNR, Satriani, Tesla, Soundgarden, ....etc.

Thanks in advance for your input.
If you get any type of tube amp and put a pod through it God help you.

Get some sort of mesa with some sort of guitar with EMGs. Close enough.
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Fender American FSR Mahog. Chambered Tele 60th
Fender Mexican Strat SD Hot Rails Br/Ne
Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
don't go for sounding like one band, at least thats my opinion. Go, spend a WHOLE day in guitar center, play ever fing guitar through every amp there. Don't go by what sounds like who. Go for the "YOU" tone. I mean if you really want metallica tone-
-Esp KH-502(I think thats the model)
-Randall Kirk Hammet sig amps
also, if you don't already have the POD XT, go with the X3 live, its a beast. Also, DEFINITELY go with MESA!!!(but NEVER use a mesa with a POD, if you do, you deserve to burn)
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
An ESP with EMG pickups are the way to go for the guitar. As for the amp, a Marshall JCM800 would probably get the sound about right ('80s tone, at least) and a Roland Jazz Chorus for clean sounds would get the overall Metallica tone.
imo, spend less time trying to sound like metallica, and more time making a sound for yourself.
Jackson DKMG Dinky, Ibanez RG 7321, Ibanez RG 350EX
Bugera 6262-212 (120 watt), Line 6 Spider lll (30 watt)

Pearl Forum Series Drums
Sabian B8 Cymbals (ride, hi-hats, 3x crash, splash)
In your house more then 5 watts can be overkill depending on how close the neighbors are. Think more along the lines of a home studio over something like a Mesa or higher watt amp you won't be able to drive properly.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Tbh, I have an almost perfect sound for And Justice for all using an Epiphone Les Paul, and Marshall Valvestate VS100H Head running line out into a Hartke HA3500 Bass combo.. If you add a super overdrive pedal to that, you'll get a very similar tone.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
you should get a ENGL powerball with a good 2x12 cab and some ESP or schecter with EMG pickups, the engl amps sound good at lower volumes compared to other tube amps
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

explain why not to use pod with mesa? sorry I am new to this.....what would be my options for effects than?
Quote by racman92
don't go for sounding like one band, at least thats my opinion. Go, spend a WHOLE day in guitar center, play ever fing guitar through every amp there. Don't go by what sounds like who. Go for the "YOU" tone. I mean if you really want metallica tone-
-Esp KH-502(I think thats the model)
-Randall Kirk Hammet sig amps
also, if you don't already have the POD XT, go with the X3 live, its a beast. Also, DEFINITELY go with MESA!!!(but NEVER use a mesa with a POD, if you do, you deserve to burn)

Kirk Hammet's signature sound has always been from a Mesa Boogie Rectifier specifically.. not that signature amp.

the signature amp is trying to capture his signature sound which is just a Mesa.

he doesn't even play on that Randall so you're better off buying a Mesa if you want to sound like him.
Quote by scott58
In your house more then 5 watts can be overkill depending on how close the neighbors are. Think more along the lines of a home studio over something like a Mesa or higher watt amp you won't be able to drive properly.

I live in a development meaning houses all over but play in my garage with the door open and turn a 50 watt tube up pretty loud.

so big whoop?

If you're inside people are barley going to hear it anyway if the windows are shut so he should be able to unless he lives with his parents and they complain.
As much as I don't like Metalica I seriously doubt Kirt Hammet uses the cheeseball signiture amp they make for him in the studio.

Just like 99% of big rock acts they use old Gibson Les Pauls, old Fenders and maybe a few newer custom made guitars in the studio along with a truckload of great old and new amps (Vox, Marshall, Fender, Orange, Soldano, etc...).

I saw some lame movie on VH-1 where they were in the studio and I was not surprised to see this is the case.

On the new disc they use the soon to be released James Hatfield Marshall MG-08R+
The Randall Kirk Hammet amp isn't any different from the normal MTS, it just comes loaded with the modules and looks different.

I suggest a Bogner Ecstasy personally, should do all the bands you suggested.

^James uses a MG now? I find that hard to believe.
Spending $5000 on gear JUST to sound like metallica is pretty ****in stupid if you ask me. Go in a shop and play everything and get what you think sounds good to your ears and get a guitar that sounds good for your sound and plays well for your style of playing. We've got enough copycats in the music world already.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Quote by Gregoric
Spending $5000 on gear JUST to sound like metallica is pretty ****in stupid if you ask me. Go in a shop and play everything and get what you think sounds good to your ears and get a guitar that sounds good for your sound and plays well for your style of playing. We've got enough copycats in the music world already.

There's nothing wrong with trying to emulate an artist's tone, your playing will dictate the sound much more than the exact amps, pedals and settings anyway.

I bet Metallica has better tone than you ever will.
Quote by Horlicks
There's nothing wrong with trying to emulate an artist's tone, your playing will dictate the sound much more than the exact amps, pedals and settings anyway.

I bet Metallica has better tone than you ever will.

I personally think old metallica has one of the nastiest tones I've ever heard.
And there's a difference between trying to emaulate an artist or taking inspiration form an artist and flat out trying to BE them using their exact equipment and tone.

Plus you're right, it is more your playing than your equipment. So maybe he doesn't need to spend $5000 on equipment.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Quote by caraluzzo
What Gear To Sound Like Metallica..

There gear.

/thread.

Nope

'Their gear'

/thread
Knew I would get some idiot on here that was a given....anyway I never said I was going to spend $5000 , that was my limit............ I was probably going to get at least 2 guitars.
thinking about the KH602 ltd version and an eclipse switching to black outs
Why don't you try to get a unique tone that you are comfortable with, rather than trying to copy another bands tones?
not a musician just learning and I love Metallica , learning and dont want to keep upgrading my stuff over and over. Not only going after Metallica but like Satriani all kinds of stuff. Really like Dimarzio pick ups as well
Quote by rocket7171
explain why not to use pod with mesa? sorry I am new to this.....what would be my options for effects than?

Put it this way, it'd be like having the hottest girl in the world, and making her wear a burqa.

(not a religious poke at all)
ok what do people use with the Mesa's? or is there even a need? I am obviously clueless and new to all of this but really appreciate the help. this is probably the most positive forum I have been on so far and am spending most of my time on it now
A Mesa Boogie Mark IV will probably get you close.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
spider 3s are horrible. Metallica used mesa boogie II c+ heads for all albums up to the black album and are going back to them on the new one death magnetic . But those are a pain to find now-a-day so maybe a mesa dual-rectifier half stack? As for guitar, Depends if you want old metallica tone or the newer lighter gain tone. Explorers and V's get the old tone bang on and for new, vintage is a must. Thats all i can tell you. ( im not that much of a metallica nerd, i just read the article about them in guitar world magazine :P )
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
Well, to sound JUST like Metallica, get a KH120RHS KH(Kirk Hammett) 120(120 Watts) RHS(Randall Half-Stack). Then get a KH-2 Signature. That's only like $3000, which saves you a load, but if you still want to get a little more Metallica crunch, drag an extra $500 for a Boss GT-10. It has some great Metallica patches. Hope it helped.
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

^
No, The Boss GT series pedals are crap, and the KH120RHS is a solid State POS.

I would get any guitar with EMG's, such as a High end Jackson, or ESP, and a Mesa Dual Rectifier. Or Mesa Stiletto.

Metallica has always used Mesa Pre amps with Marshall Power amps, and the Stiletto sounds like a Recto and JCM800 put together.

It has enough gain to kill, and it sounds PERFECT for Metallica.
Last edited by FRDesign at Oct 4, 2008,
Quote by rocket7171
ok what do people use with the Mesa's? or is there even a need? I am obviously clueless and new to all of this but really appreciate the help. this is probably the most positive forum I have been on so far and am spending most of my time on it now

Guitars. Seriously. If you get a great amp, you shouldn't need a distortion or overdrive pedal to get the sound you want. If you get effects, get things like analog phaser and delay. Having a good signal going into a good amp means you shouldn't need effects. But don't buy cheap cables, get some good quality ones and you'll be set.
Get whatever guitar you want. Then I'd recommend a Mesa Stiletto. They get a sick Metallica sound, sort of like Ride The Lightning era but less digital sounding.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
I am actually doing alot of research on the Splawn Nitro, my only concern is I dont think I would be able to try these in person first. I tried their website and it wont come up. any body know of dealers in NC? I have watched a lot of clips on youtube with them along mesa's and they sound great as well as other videos alone.
Quote by FRDesign
^
No, The Boss GT series pedals are crap, and the KH120RHS is a solid State POS.

I would get any guitar with EMG's, such as a High end Jackson, or ESP, and a Mesa Dual Rectifier. Or Mesa Stiletto.

Metallica has always used Mesa Pre amps with Marshall Power amps, and the Stiletto sounds like a Recto and JCM800 put together.

It has enough gain to kill, and it sounds PERFECT for Metallica.

If you have ever even played the KH120RHS, then you would know it sounds perfect for Metallica tones. The KH Sig. Half-Stack is a Solid State, but sounds very nice, and the GT-10 is great. The pickup modeling and a few of the effects are worthless and sound terrible, but the patches are great.
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

There's nothing wrong with wanting to emulate a certain artist's tone. In fact, my quest for the Metallica tone led me to find my OWN sound, which I prefer better.

So keep pushing, but keep this one little factor in mind that noone's mentioned yet...hands. You could walk into their studio, pick up their gear, and play their songs, but you still won't sound like them - because you don't have their hands. That's a factor in their tone, and that's why I quit trying after so many years. If you pick up a crappy guitar and amp, play Master Of Puppets, and someone recognizes it...you did your job.

But like I said...keep going...tone chasing is fun. You'll find your own one day.
Triaxis/Quad/Studio Pre etc (NO Rectifiers)
Strategy 400/500/2:90/2:95 etc etc (^^)
Marshall and MESA 4x12's
Mahogany bodied guitar with EMG pickups, maybe..
These go to eleven...
any guitar with emgs and a mesa/boogie dual rectifier or a marc
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
Just about any EMG equipped guitar and a high-gain amp of just about any kind will get you close but if you really want to be specific then you will need:

Hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of studio quality recording gear.
A sound engineering team.
James Hetfield's right hand.
A host of high-end amps including, but not limited to: Deizel, Mesa Boogie, Marshall, Soldano, VHT.
Several custom, EMG Equipped, mahogany bodied guitars.

All depending on exactly which song/album's tone you want to imitate. Which era of their career are you even going for?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by SenorSmiley

Just like 99% of big rock acts they use old Gibson Les Pauls, old Fenders and maybe a few newer custom made guitars in the studio along with a truckload of great old and new amps (Vox, Marshall, Fender, Orange, Soldano, etc...).

I saw some lame movie on VH-1 where they were in the studio and I was not surprised to see this is the case.

On the new disc they use the soon to be released James Hatfield Marshall MG-08R+

I'm sorry, but that sounds like bullsh!t to me.

As far as I know, they are heavy users of the ESP guitars, and uses Mesa Boogie Rectifiers.
Of course their setup varies, but they are not prominent users of Vox-amps along with Strats... no...
Fender Jaguar
Morley PVO +
TC Polytune
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss DS2
Blackstar HT-40
Digitech Timebender
TC Trinity

(offboard; Whammy IV, Crybaby 535Q, Digitech RP100A)
Page 1 of 2