Delay and echo is a must. Add a touch of chorus.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
spider III
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by gwitersnamps
Delay and echo is a must. Add a touch of chorus.

Echo/Delay, with like a rotary kinda effect = AWESOME. I was just messing with my friends' Boss ME-50(is that the multi-effect pedal? can't remember...) and it sounded so awesome. I was just playing scales too, but it sounded so friggin' kool.
Quote by warpig0001
Drugs and/or soft chorus and delay.

Haha, very true. As far as effects go, definitely some type of modulation like a phaser combined with delay can make a spacey sound. As far as contrasting instrumentation, strum some really open sounding chords with a fair amount of dissonance and let them ring ( with all of your effects) over a really light, fast, and or aggressive drum pattern. Big fat bass chords or octaves with like a bass wah can give you what you are looking fo,r too.
Quote by Lazymusician33
What are some tips in creating songs with a spacey/space-like sound? Thx.
Umm... be completely silent?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Think out of the box.
Don't think in theory.(not yet)
use pitch shifters.
Use awesome chords like Add9 chords.
Crapload of delay and slow string bends
Amorphis
Quote by iceman_8319
The human eye only captures a certain amount frames per second.
By the time you've read this post, 3 ninjas have had sex in front of you.

Phaser and reverb (not necessarily just on the guitar) and extended chords such as maj7, min7, add9, sus2, sus4, etc. But avoid dissonant chords like dim and aug and chords with a very strong resolution like 7ths. Use chromatics, but don't overdo it and make it sound awkward.

Edit: Also, weird panning and maybe some volume swells with delay.
Last edited by werty22 at Oct 4, 2008,
General sparsity and sustain with a few brief, intensive runs. Lots of wide vibrato, and some delay, reverb and chorus with a relatively clean sound.