Let's say for a example there's a blues song in G and I'm playing along with the normal pentatonics, mixolydian, blues, etc. could I go up to the minor third (Bb) and play all of it's pentatonics, mixolydian, blues, etc., having Bb as kind of the root and have it sound all right?

J/W cuz I heard you could at one time and was seeing if it would check out
You mean you want to change the key? Key changes are appropriate. Either that or just go into a different mode, so instead of G Pentatonic minor you would be in Bb Pentatonic major.
wait....it just hit me...i've been up to long

ya going up a minor third just gives you the major pentatonic and you can throw in a few minor notes if you choose
no, going down a minor third from a minor pentatonic would give you a major pentatonic
Quote by jimmyslashpage
Let's say for a example there's a blues song in G and I'm playing along with the normal pentatonics, mixolydian, blues, etc. could I go up to the minor third (Bb) and play all of it's pentatonics, mixolydian, blues, etc., having Bb as kind of the root and have it sound all right?

J/W cuz I heard you could at one time and was seeing if it would check out

you can, but it sounds a little weird. but if you can pull it off go ahead. it just kinda throws off the flow of the song.

SRV pulls it off nicely on his cover of Little Wing. Right after the main intro, when the chords go to A and Bm, he plays A and B pentatonics.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Quote by psychokiller99
you can, but it sounds a little weird. but if you can pull it off go ahead. it just kinda throws off the flow of the song.

SRV pulls it off nicely on his cover of Little Wing. Right after the main intro, when the chords go to A and Bm, he plays A and B pentatonics.

He is able to sneak that in there so well because he's actually playing it over an Am and Bm chord. SRV like to do alot of this stuff even in a standard blues - he would, for example, jump to the pentatonic of the V during the turnaround. Nice, easy way to throw some melodic variety in there.
Quote by Philbigtime
He is able to sneak that in there so well because he's actually playing it over an Am and Bm chord. SRV like to do alot of this stuff even in a standard blues - he would, for example, jump to the pentatonic of the V during the turnaround. Nice, easy way to throw some melodic variety in there.

yeah i know. he changes to those chords and then plays in the key of the chords. i thought that was what the TS was asking if he could do, so i was using that song as an example of how you could pull it off.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's