I dont want this to turn into this sucks or that, I would like input from people who have either tried what I am discussing or offer me their opinion on what they think is best that they have tried or have.

I am looking for an amp that I will be using for home use only.... have my own home with property so I can crank it up as much as I want. I am not looking to get anything over 50 watts. I play/learning to play Metallica, Chili Peppers, Iron Maiden, GNR,Satriani, etc.... My budget is up to $5000 total-for guitar, amp, cables, effects..etc(getting a settlement and dont want to have to or want to upgrade ).

I only have a Sam Ash and Guitar Center by me that I have tried out a few things. My favorite band is Metallica and am looking to get as close to that sound as I can. Things I have tried that I like so far:
Line 6: Flextone, Spider Valve, and HD147 like the sound of the halfstacks.
And also really like the sound of Mesa: liked the sound of the Express 5:50
I also like the pod xt live
I am debating on getting the Mesa and running the pod xt live through it but wonder if there are better options. What do other Metallica fans on this site use?

things that I have heard and watched on youtube that sound good and am interested in: ENGL powerball, Diezel, Hughes and Ketner, Soldano? sorry if I am butchering it.

Things I have tried that I dont like: Vyper, Marshall Heads, Vox. I have seen the Marshall cabinets along with other heads that sounded pretty good on youtube.
Carvin guitar (you pick, check Electric guiyar forum)
JCM 800
I would recommend single pedals instead of a multi effects, but if you insts get the GT-10
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

I read your other thread and all i can tell you is what I did (after purchasing several other guitars and SS amps). i bought a Variax 700, a POD XT Live, a Valve Junior and a Phonics Power POD 620 PA. this gives me every tone i ever want, From acoustic to Les paul to 12 string (acoustic and electric. i get led zepplin, pink floyd, iron maiden, beatles, you name it with a little work I can find the tone. I got about $2500 in it and i'm pretty satisfied.

Now comparing that to an actual mesa boogie. I'm not going to do it. That's a league several steps above where i'm at right now and honestly i won't go there until i'm certain i'm going to be giging alot. Hook up a POD to a mesa? No way. Go analog pedals if any at all. It's one thing to approach low end amps with minor upgrades, but when your talking a pretty nice tube amp digital multi's aren't an upgrade in my opinion. Build a solid pedal board if that's the route your taking.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
High end Epiphones are a great place to start looking.
That Mesa is a great amp, but im pretty sure it wasn't made for massively high gain. If you want a high distortion I'd look into the Recifier series. However most of the bands you listed use Marshall Valve heads like JCM 800.
I don't recomend a multi effects pedal, you should buy the seperate pedals.

Also buy whatever sounds best to your ears, don't buy things you arn't going to use.
Personally I wouldn't recommend spending massive amounts of money if you're only just starting.
Last edited by silly hats at Oct 4, 2008,
all good points

that is a lot of cash to drop at once if you are not sure what you are doing.

no offense, i wish i had that budget but you may want to start more reasonably and add/decide as you figure out your tone.

otherwise- splawn and a strat ftw!
I've played all the high-end amps you mentioned, & yes, they will do the sounds you're after, BUT you'd probably better off trying an EVH 5150 III first. It'll do pretty much everything the $3300 H&K Triamp Mk2 will do, but costs far less (brand new on ebay for $1499 US for the head). It's a great value for the money. The Diezel, Engl, & esp the Soldano are very unforgiving of sloppy technique, & don't sound as good as the 5150 III at low volume IMO, but if you're able to crank them, it doesn't matter. I know you said 50 watts, but there's not really that much volume difference if you're standing near the amp (I pulled 2 tubes on both of my 100W amps to run them at 50W, just to have slightly earlier breakup). If you're going to spend that much, just try as many amps as you can.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by rocket7171
I dont want this to turn into this sucks or that, I would like input from people who have either tried what I am discussing or offer me their opinion on what they think is best that they have tried or have.

I am looking for an amp that I will be using for home use only.... have my own home with property so I can crank it up as much as I want. I am not looking to get anything over 50 watts. I play/learning to play Metallica, Chili Peppers, Iron Maiden, GNR,Satriani, etc.... My budget is up to $5000 total-for guitar, amp, cables, effects..etc(getting a settlement and dont want to have to or want to upgrade ).

I only have a Sam Ash and Guitar Center by me that I have tried out a few things. My favorite band is Metallica and am looking to get as close to that sound as I can. Things I have tried that I like so far:
Line 6: Flextone, Spider Valve, and HD147 like the sound of the halfstacks.
And also really like the sound of Mesa: liked the sound of the Express 5:50
I also like the pod xt live
I am debating on getting the Mesa and running the pod xt live through it but wonder if there are better options. What do other Metallica fans on this site use?

things that I have heard and watched on youtube that sound good and am interested in: ENGL powerball, Diezel, Hughes and Ketner, Soldano? sorry if I am butchering it.

Things I have tried that I dont like: Vyper, Marshall Heads, Vox. I have seen the Marshall cabinets along with other heads that sounded pretty good on youtube.

Alright. The Express is not very high-gain. And I wouldn't use a whole lot of digital effects with a high-end amp. Look at ENGLs, Splawns, Hughes & Kettners, Soldanos, and Orange. You've got a good budget. I'd get something like a Les Paul Studio or a nice HSS strat, and some single effects and call it a day well below 5000.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by riffhog
I've played all the high-end amps you mentioned, & yes, they will do the sounds you're after, BUT you'd probably better off trying an EVH 5150 III first. It'll do pretty much everything the $3300 H&K Triamp Mk2 will do, but costs far less (brand new on ebay for $1499 US for the head). It's a great value for the money. The Diezel, Engl, & esp the Soldano are very unforgiving of sloppy technique, & don't sound as good as the 5150 III at low volume IMO, but if you're able to crank them, it doesn't matter. I know you said 50 watts, but there's not really that much volume difference if you're standing near the amp (I pulled 2 tubes on both of my 100W amps to run them at 50W, just to have slightly earlier breakup). If you're going to spend that much, just try as many amps as you can.

Isn't the EVH 100W?
Quote by theoreticmusic
Alright. The Express is not very high-gain. And I wouldn't use a whole lot of digital effects with a high-end amp. Look at ENGLs, Splawns, Hughes & Kettners, Soldanos, and Orange. You've got a good budget. I'd get something like a Les Paul Studio or a nice HSS strat, and some single effects and call it a day well below 5000.

Only if he truly enjoys those guitars. My recommendation would be to spend a few days at GC (or a local music shop with a good variety of instruments so you don't have as much background noise) over the course of a month or so and get familiar with a bunch of different guitars. Try EVERYTHING. See what you like in feel and tone. Mess around with the amps in the process (that's where the multiple days thing comes in), see what pairings you like. Remember an OD pedal can do a lot for an amp if it's not quite the sound you want. If it's got the gain but not the sound, drop the gain and use an OD or try an equalizer, or just move on. Don't stay too long each day though, your ears will get fatigued and you won't get as good data.
Now, when you figure out an amp you like, get that amp or something really nice in the same category. Don't buy blind if you can avoid it.
Guitars: if at the end of your search you have found the guitar of your dreams, buy it. If not, I highly recommend noting what guitars you liked. Take note of the woods, pickup types, scale, etc, and have Carvin build you a custom guitar to those exact specs.

tl;dr: be patient and try as many guitars and amps as you can, then buy. Carvin is your friend if you want a custom axe.
Good luck!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
all good points

that is a lot of cash to drop at once if you are not sure what you are doing.

no offense, i wish i had that budget but you may want to start more reasonably and add/decide as you figure out your tone.

otherwise- splawn ftw!

+1^^

there is nothing worse than dropping $4k on a diezel and then blowing the amp because of lack of knowledge and experience with tubes amps
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
If you buy used then you're not going to lose any money, you can sell it all for the price you paid for it. Might as well go all out even if you're a beginner.

I highly recommend for your situation a Mesa Boogie Roadster or Roadking combo. it will give you all the versatility you need, the metallica tone, and tons of features. It also has an easy to adjust volume control. It's not really a tweaking amp to get a good sound, but to find more and more tones, definately.

As far as guitars go you have a wide selection and I don't really know where to begin. Check into Carvin, suhr, PRS, ESP (metallica typically uses these), G&L, Ibanez Prestige series.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
thanks,
Like I said before $5000 is my limit, maxed out. I was thinking of being able to get at least 2 guitars I liked as well as an awesome amp.

I am now leaning toward but am not sure if I will be able to try them out: Engl Powerball, Mesa's, Splawn, Diezel, and yes I am sure I will hear a ton of shit -Line 6 hd147 spidervalve, and Flextone. Another thing to think about---- I like the sounds of the halfstacks compared to the combos- and yes I do know I am only in a house and it could /might be overkill.
Guitars I am leaning toward: Esp Eclipse and switching out pickups to Blackouts and KH602 LTd , also like Prestiges with Demarzio pickups in them.--like tone of Dimarzios
House+Tube Halfstack=massive overkill. Trust me. You'll want an attenuator.

Don't judge me.
Quote by PixieDust13
if im not mistakin metallica uses mesa boogie rectifiers? just get one of those?

MkIIIs and IVs, among many other things.

Don't judge me.
Quote by rocket7171
Also with amps: Who has the best warranty???

Mesa Boogie has a 5 year transferrable warranty. Thats pretty good.
Most high end companies will cover their amp for at least a year. I believe Mako has the overall best warranty, lifetime tranferrable warranty. Bogners is lifetime but non transferrable.

Quote by theoreticmusic
House+Tube Halfstack=massive overkill. Trust me. You'll want an attenuator.

Maybe in your situation. When I'm home from college I run 2 half stacks in stereo in my bedroom. My ears arent bleeding. I simply cut the volume down fairly low, and I have some good headphones to cancel out excessive levels of sound. a 30watt tube combo isn't going to be any quieter and usually they'll be short on features such as a master volume knob, which would in turn make the volume less controllable in comparison to the amp higher up in the companies line.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
ok, who uses effects and what? I have had a brief experience with pod xt live but had to sell it quickly. Is it the best if ran through pa system if so what brand...etc. I know I am all over the place, but dont want to regret buying something and later on hearing about something better.
Quote by rocket7171
I know I am all over the place, but dont want to regret buying something and later on hearing about something better.

Then put the bar a little lower and work up as your abilities do. Develop your ear for tone, and your fingers for ability. I would say get a (all used) Peavey JSX/XXX/Ultra combo, 5150 combo, Mesa F-30 or 50, (Hell nearly any tube metal amp) and a good guitar for what you want to play. The ones you listed weren't bad, but everyone has different tastes. Go to GC and Samash to try amps, but buy used so when you want to "reload" you can sell your stuff for about what you paid for it. Don't make a $5K mistake when you are just getting into this.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I dont want to get expensive gear just cause I want to. I want to be happy with what I buy and buy the best possible gear so I will be happy and wont want to upgrade for a long time. I am getting a rather large settlement, so for once in my life I can say $5000 is fine to spend. But I am sure it will be a one time deal. So I am taking my time and wanting to get a bunch of feedback to help me make my decision as well as playing as many guitars and amps as I can.
I am actually doing alot of research on the Splawn Nitro, my only concern is I dont think I would be able to try these in person first. I tried their website and it wont come up. any body know of dealers in NC? I have watched a lot of clips on youtube with them along mesa's and they sound great as well as other videos alone.
Quote by rocket7171
I am taking my time and wanting to get a bunch of feedback to help me make my decision as well as playing as many guitars and amps as I can.

Smart thing to do. I just don't want to see you make a $5000 mistake and have to sell it all used and lose $3000 on a life lesson. I have a lot of "experience" in making some bad decisions so I am cautious on your behalf. You can hang on to the money until the time you have made the right choice. In the meantime, grab a used 6505 combo and great guitar is my point.

But hey - I'm just trying to help you not make a bad decision because you have cash burning a whole in your pocket. Good luck friend.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
as much as i think that is a good idea - i don't think he/she knows his tone yet. You would be better off buying a 1,000 amp and a 1,000 guitar and putting 3,000 to better use.

i can't believe i'm still posting in this thread.

and my guess is your resale value would be like 75% on the higher end stuff.