So i've been using a solid state combo amp forever pretty much, and I just wondered what valve amp would be good for practacing with that I can get for a pretty reasonable price even if it was used, i'm not really bothered about it being brand new.

I play a Fender MIM strat, just to give some idea of what kind of stuff I play.
The Strat doesn't give much of an idea on what you play...

I'm guessing blues or rock? Maybe indie?

But anyways, a cheap one would be an Epiphone Valve Junior. That's cheap, and sounds decent.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
yeah i mainly play blues/rock, so you got it pretty much, haha ;p

I'll take a look at that, I'm also in the UK if that makes any difference to what's available to me.
vox adv 15 ?
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
Orange tiny terror? not exactly cheap but awesome for those genres.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
the vox isnt an actual tube amp though is it?

and i looked at the epiphone amp and it looks pretty nice! I might see if i can try one somewhere.
They're fantastic little amps, I'm getting one in a few months, and they overdrive very nicely at nice volumes.
Gear
Fender Jaguar > effects (x9) > Orange AD5

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE EUNEIROPHRENIAC σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I'd probably buy the half stack version of it as opposed to the combo, since theres not much different price wise, and I'd assume sound wise they'd be pretty much identicle, right?
also, due to it only having a volume nob, what would be the best way to control EQ? thanks for all the help!
Quote by Magic_Joel
also, due to it only having a volume nob, what would be the best way to control EQ? thanks for all the help!

Maybe getting a EQ pedal or an overdrive pedal with an EQ on it.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
The Valve Jr, and get an OD pedal to go with it. I use a Blackstar HT and it works beautifully for those genres!
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
I have a peavey classic 30 and I love it

first amp myself
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah
Check out the HOT ROD DELUXE by Fender, or the Blues Junior or the Blues Reissue.

I have tried them along side, Laney valves, Peavey and even proper, expensive Vox AC30s (which are massive and less wattage than a Hot Rod) and much prefered the Fender options.

Even the shop owner agreed they sounded better for me and they were cheaper!
Quote by Jackolas
Check out the HOT ROD DELUXE by Fender, or the Blues Junior or the Blues Reissue.

I have tried them along side, Laney valves, Peavey and even proper, expensive Vox AC30s (which are massive and less wattage than a Hot Rod) and much prefered the Fender options.

Even the shop owner agreed they sounded better for me and they were cheaper!

Lies, AC30 > hot rod/blues deluxe, from what i tried anyway.

But depending where you are take a look at the blackhearts, epiphone, laneys (if your in the UK, VC mainly), the fender BJ, peavey classic etc. etc.
Also check out Fender Champ 600. You'll want an OD and EQ pedal though, since it only has a volume knob.
Saint Louis Blues
Quote by beckyjc
Lies, AC30 > hot rod/blues deluxe, from what i tried anyway.

But depending where you are take a look at the blackhearts, epiphone, laneys (if your in the UK, VC mainly), the fender BJ, peavey classic etc. etc.

Well check out my youtube videos and a few tunes, I believe I get a good amount of varied sounds from it.

At the end of the day, alot of people don't know how to use the gear. If people can't use an AC30 or HRD for home playing there is something wrong.
Quote by MoonageDaydream
They're fantastic little amps, I'm getting one in a few months, and they overdrive very nicely at nice volumes.

actually it's pretty loud before it overdrives.

it's nice, but you need to be aware it's loud.

how about a laney vc15? that's a nice amp for a decent price for the tones you want, has a gain control so you can get overdrive at lower levels (though the price rose recently, which is annoying, from £215 to about £250)...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Magic_Joel

the tone will change a bit depending on what the volume is set at...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?