Hey guys. I've been trying to find the right amp for a kind Tool ish sound.

I've been deeply looking and have three options.

Mako Mak2

Splawn Nitro

Reason SM-50

All 100 watts except the reason. I love the Mako the diffrent midshifts from the freak knob are amazing. It has excelent tone. I just think it might be too sterile.

The splawn is amazing it fills so well, but I'm not too sure if it will do tool well and It's really marshally, but the sound Killswitch Engage get's out of them is great.

The reason is made locally and I have no complaints but It's alot more expensive.

What do you guys think?
Schecter Synyster custom

Washburn custom ( I remodeled)

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

How many vegetarians does it take to eat a cow?

One if no one is looking.
What's E rock?
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

Erock is a UG member who's used a lot of high end metal amps and owns a Splawn (...or two?).
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Yeah, his full name here is Erock503 if you can't locate it. He's definitely the best guy to ask about the Mako & Splawn. Great guy, very helpful. Don't hesitate to ask him stuff!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
I think you're right in your original assumption that the Splawn is really Marshally. KSE may use Splawn but they use a ton of high end amps and mix them, and I wouldn't say that the Splawn is a big part of their tone or that it's based off of a Splawn tone. The main amps in their tone are probabably the Mesa Recto or the Framus Cobra.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Yeah your right Sonic. What do you guys think about the splawn and the mako?
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

They're both great. Seriously, go to Erock503s profile and listen to his clips. He's owned both.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
I'm already on it, I've heard alot of clips. I just haven't heard them in person or got better opinions.
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

When you're spending that much, you should get personal experience.

Don't judge me.
^Exactly what i was gonna say. In this price range it really comes down to your preference.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I think the Mako is more along the lines of what I want. But I have no way to try either of the amps.
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

I dont think youll be disappointed with either.

Don't judge me.
what do you think about them doing tool?
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

I'm liking them alot
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

For a Tool tone I'd probably go with a German amp, such an an ENGL powerball, Framus Dragon or a used Diezel Einstein. VHT's also have the German tone, dry low end, sizzly top end, and a cutting low midrange with lots of upper midrange harmonics.

I've heard a good tool tone from a Mark IV, and I got a good adam jones tone from the one I had a while ago. A Rivera K-tre, KR7, or KR would be a good choice, they all have quite a bit of saturation, and the gutsy tone of a German amp. A Bogner uberschall might be a good choice, not too sure, I've heard it sounds more like Metallica but A7X used them and had a pretty good tone, sounded good.

Honestly, you're not going to be able to mimic Adam Jones tone itself, because it changes drastically from album to album, and he's got an unlimited gear budget. If you want to sound like him, you gotta have his style down before you have his gear. Anyone would think wow, that sounds like his tone if you're playing a song correctly moreso than someone playing a Diezel VH4 and playing some thrash riffs. Make sure you get the playing down first
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Not to sound like a cocky asshole, but I've got Adams playing down almost as good as Adam. I've been playing my whole life and constantly at that. I'm only 16, but I've been deciating my life to music longer than I've been in school. Haha. I think the Riveras are alright, they are good they just have a weird voicing in the mids I don't always like. I've only heard the K-tre, apparently they designed that amp for amp, but I doubt it. Thats what some tech said. The uberschall is a little out of my price range, great but single toned.
I don't like the Diezel's all that much, sterile by themselfs. I'm not looking to mimic his tone, just get in that ballpark. That kind of dynamic crunch without dimed gain. And also The Engls look great, I can never find them. Anyone got some good clips of the engls?
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

netmusicians.org

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Badass, thanks mesa I really appreciate it. Do you think that the Mako is in my range of sounds though?
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

Well, Adam has 2 dimensions to his tone.

You have the cutting mids, and harmonic highs

and

The dry low end and huge low mid grind.

The nitro does the mids and dry low end, while the Mak 2 does the highs and the low end isn't as big as the Nitro nor as dry, the Mak 2 is a bit more articulated on the low end though.

Out of the 2 of those, I believe the splawn might do a slightly better job. But I'd really look other wise.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Like otherwise, you recommended the Engls and stuff, If it was your choice what'd you look into ? Mesa roadking?
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

Quote by korn klown 14
Like otherwise, you recommended the Engls and stuff, If it was your choice what'd you look into ? Mesa roadking?

I had a Mesa Roadking, didn't really do a good Adam Jones tone. Great for John Petrucci, not so much Adam Jones hah.

For Engl's the powerball has a huge low end and dry bottom end that jones has. You can find those all the time on Harmony Central for $1300-$1,500. If you still have money left over I'd look for a Ceriatone marshall style head to run stereo with that and you would have a phenomenal tone. Although it probably wouldn't be necessary since you have the playing down.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
What do you think about the Blackmore, and the SE? And would the splawn/ mako be bad or would the ENGLS be better. They seem a little too dry but Idk. what about the Fireball?
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

Quote by korn klown 14
What do you think about the Blackmore, and the SE? And would the splawn/ mako be bad or would the ENGLS be better. They seem a little too dry but Idk. what about the Fireball?

I've heard the blackmore is more 80's based, should have the midrange of Adam but not as dry, then again it is an ENGL. THe SE isn't as typical ENGL, as the powerball, it's a bit brighter, it's more versatile. Dave MC has one. Erock503 had a blackmore for about a week.

A splawn and mako will give you a great tone, but it's not going to be Adam Jones but it's going to be damn good. It comes down to whether or not you're going to be disappointed in not sounding nearly identical to someone, or if a good tone to you is just a good tone.

Me personally, I'm searching for a specific tone, and I've flipped 4 amps over the last few years because the tone isn't exactly what I want. They sounded good but they weren't what I wanted. Now I have a few friends that have kept the same amp for a few years just because they can't justify buying another amp for a slightly different sound. In a live situation, you're not going to be able to tell the difference between an Orange, Splawn, or Marshall, but for personal playing you can. It's a lot of trial and error.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
If dry is what you're looking for, go for a VHT and, depending on the model, an OD.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Definatley don't want Dry. I don't want Adam Jones exact tone, I love his tone and I want something very loosley based on his. I think the splawn and the mako are both badass and idk. I'm not digging the ENGLS all that much. I want a specific tone but I haven't had any tube amps except an ac-30, thats where I've got the money for this amp. I have been playing 8 years and I need a good reliable great sounding tube amp for that style of music.

www.myspace.com/tsaemusic some old demos
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

I'm just going to recommend the splawn. Oh crap i'm biased like fox news about those amps though...
Don't listen!

I would just get the nitro for maximum tone-shaping.

Anybody know how Carvin V3s do for tool?
Quote by Highwaytohell
I'm just going to recommend the splawn. Oh crap i'm biased like fox news about those amps though...
Don't listen!

I would just get the nitro for maximum tone-shaping.

Anybody know how Carvin V3s do for tool?

I dunno, they don't have as much gain as they're made out to. My Legacy can only really get to NWOBHM and hair metal comfortably, which is with the gain around 7 (I don't like to push it any higher, it starts to fizz). So I have to boost it a bit for my thrash metal band. Of course the V3 is supposed to have more gain, but I doubt it's that much more.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X