This is my second attempt at writing Black Metallish Songs. Surprising since the closest bands to Black Metal I listen to are Nevermore and Opeth. I started on this song yesterday and finished it this morning, so not a very big gap :P. C4C as usual.

Be warned, this song is 11.29 minutes long, and feedback regarding song arrangement is most appreciated. Any other feedback is helpful too .

Also, the song sounds much better with the RSE. Midi just sounds awful in some places. If you haven't got RSE, then I have uploaded this song onto my Acidplanet page, which should be in my signature.

Update 10/08/08 (damn I hate putting dates in American :P)

Altered the Tempo slightly. Originally it constantly changed from 120-125, its now constant at 123.
Removed some of the Gaps.
Removed "Thing" because I couldn't see it going anywhere at this current time. Also added another of the clean parts before the interlude.
Add some little guitar bits in.

I haven't fixed everything, because with Gyroscopes opinions, I don't feel that there is anything wrong with the song itself,its just his personal tastes :P
I also intend to add an orchestral section into it at some point, make it even more epic :P
And yer, I also changed the title, it kinda like, says Death Metal instead of Black Metal (previously I honestly didn't know the difference :P)
Songs Length is also shorter, its now 10:52 from 11:29 :P
Attachments:
Riddles.zip
Riddles (Updated).zip
Last edited by adaeha at Oct 7, 2008,
Which song is it.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
I don't have guitar pro, and you said it was on your site, but I don't see one that's 11 minutes long that's classified as metal
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Ok, i'll give a direct link then :P
http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=1161712&t=518
Should work :P

Edit:
I think I made a mistake with the upload. I gave it a PG rating and those who aren't longed into the website can only see G :P
Last edited by adaeha at Oct 4, 2008,
I am listening to the song as I write this.

The intro / clean guitar is kinda haunting... might I suggest using a delay pedal to get this more haunting effect it is very nice intro. It is a good intro!

Solo 1 sounds sounds okey, solo 2 is also nice.

The riffs are okey aswell, pretty nice. I like 'em.

I like how it sometime stops but somehow I feel like it ain't powerful enough when it comes back in. But that could be only guitar pro which does that

It sounds pretty nice, thou Dimmu Borgir is like the only Black Metal I've listened to I feel this is Black Metal like... So Nice work.

Please tell me the part "Thing" has some background effects or vocal cause it doesn't fit if it is just alone, I feel that way...

The songs stops kinda often, a few stops are okey but it gets little repetitive.

Nice work otherwise.

C4C? Click My Signiture!
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
Just left a crit on your song ^_^. And yeh, as to points:

At the parts where it stops... this is usually the worst aspect of my writing: Transitions. Usually I try to add something different, because when there isn't really a "proper transition" it just seems to kinda drone on. It keeps people alert I guess.

And for the "Thing"... well... that section is still being considered. Originally, this was gonna be a Black Symphonic Metal thing, so there were gonna be keyboards and stuff. However, due to the limitations of midi and lack of Virtual Instruments for Classical Instruments, I decided against it. I'm making up for that choice in another song ^_^. What I wanted to do there was a Piano with distortion/delay effect on it (this is always possible in the world of virtual instruments). Was also gonna have some background effects, and also vocals, hopefully (if i was any good at writing vocal melodies :P). Low vocals with distortion would have been good :P
Quote by adaeha
Just left a crit on your song ^_^. And yeh, as to points:

At the parts where it stops... this is usually the worst aspect of my writing: Transitions. Usually I try to add something different, because when there isn't really a "proper transition" it just seems to kinda drone on. It keeps people alert I guess.

And for the "Thing"... well... that section is still being considered. Originally, this was gonna be a Black Symphonic Metal thing, so there were gonna be keyboards and stuff. However, due to the limitations of midi and lack of Virtual Instruments for Classical Instruments, I decided against it. I'm making up for that choice in another song ^_^. What I wanted to do there was a Piano with distortion/delay effect on it (this is always possible in the world of virtual instruments). Was also gonna have some background effects, and also vocals, hopefully (if i was any good at writing vocal melodies :P). Low vocals with distortion would have been good :P

I think you should definently add some strings and effect cause it would really give the song a better character Strings can give some great effects to song, making them stronger and such...
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
The only part I can really say I like that much is bar 26 and 27 and everything that sounds like it. The parts where the bar progresses up a half step every time just bugs me.

What did you use to generate the drums?
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Last edited by Gyroscope at Oct 5, 2008,
The drums are generated with the RSE from Guitar Pro O_o

And what about that riff is it that you like? Really the question is what is it about the other riffs you don't like? Try and be a bit more specific please, because being vague can't help me make it any better O_o.

And I like that progression
I like that part in particular because it has a really nice "evil" sound to it, and it really reflects the song title. I don't like the chromatic progressions because it sounds out of key and it really throws me off. It started off sounding really bad ass, and then bar 10 came in and ruined it for me. However, at the same time, it improved the transition between bar 13 and 14, as kind of a "relief".

The solos and melodies clashes with the rest of the song.

The chorus was okay.

Too much dissonance and chromatic progressions for me.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Thanks for the crit.
I love the intro, especially when the guitar comes in, it sounds very evil. The solo was nice and it fit the mood well. I like the second solo a lot, especially with the octaves playing underneath it, it sounds a lot like Nile. The main riff A was pretty nice, I like how the harmonies after it too. The verse is awesome too, it sounds very sinister. I love the bends in the verse. The chorus was very good too, but it needs a better transition. I like the breakdown at lot. The way the clean guitar comes in sounds very King Crimson-ish. I think you should have repeated the clean part once more before "the thing". The thing didn't really do anything for the song, I think you should remove it or at least make it a bit more interesting.
All in all, I really liked this song. I wouldnt call it black metal though, its more like death metal (especially the A# tuned guitar sounds death metal).
Hey guys, thx for the crits, I've made some improvements so feel free to give any further suggestions ^_^
Just from reading the title I expected that I'd hate this one.

I was wrong. This is a damn good song. Great opening, good riffs, good lead guitar parts, and you even manage to avoid the overly obnoxious drumming that plauges music of this style.

There were a couple weak transitions/pauses, nothing too major, it just kind of felt like they were lacking power at certain points.

Also the solos while not bad, sounded a little awkward at points, and as a whole weren't really all that memorable.

Other than that, great job.
aw man this piece is pretty epic

throw some strings in there in one or places, and get this shit recorded :P

10/10