I want to upload mp3's to show I can do what I say, but I'm not sure how to record it. I think my friend's computer can convert to mp3's but how do I record? I am planning to get a cord that hooks my amp directly to the computer, but I don't know what to do from there. I want to do it without buying any kind of recording software, is it possible? I read somewhere that you can plug it into the microphone jack and use sound recorder, but it has terrible quality, and then it said to plug it into the line in jack, but nothing else, is that where the software comes in? PLEASE HELP, EVEN IF YOU HAVE A BETTER, CHEAPER WAY.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
dude the cheapest way is probably to get a line 6 toneport interface (about $50) and buy the cakewalk guitar tracks pro software (around $70). The quality on these two, especially for cakewalk, is pretty good. IMO the line 6 could be better, but for $50 it's pretty damn good. You won't get decent quality for cheap. Or, you might be able to rent about an hour of studio time, if you just want to one-shot it.
I don't think you understand, $120 is nearly worth my guitar (yes, it does suck). That is expensive. I just want it to get pretty good quality. I don't suppose it's possible to record off basic windows crap is it?
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
If you have a decent amp already, buy a set of singstar mics and the audio interface it comes with off ebay for like $20-30AU (so around $15-25US i guess), download a copy of audacity. Guitar -> amp, mic up the amp with the singstar mics and record through the audio interface. Of course, the amp has to be quite loud to get a decent recording level, and you will need a quiet room to minimize any excess noise (audacity has a noise removal tool too...or you could just use a high pass filter if you know what you're doing).

If not, i guess toneport is the way to go...
OK, audacity is free, isn't it?
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
Audacity is free.

Just get this cable, stick it in the line-in, and make sure Audacity's recording from that. Then you should be ok to go.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Ok, thanks a lot, that will save me 120 bucks.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
Quote by guitarmaniac88
Ok, thanks a lot, that will save me 120 bucks.

And....it will get you the shit*iest recordings as well!
Ignore Psychoman. It should give you pretty decent recordings because there will be no external noise to interfere. Just make sure you're running it through an amp (plug your guitar into an amp, and the line-out on the amp into the line-in on the computer).
Thanks, I figured since I have heard about audacity being pretty good, that it wouldn't suck.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
Well, it's a question more about sound quality...in particular, your card.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
I am pretty sure it's a good card.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
Quote by guitarmaniac88
I am pretty sure it's a good card.

computer sound cards arent designed for recording, it'll work but chances are it'll sound pretty bad