Page 1 of 2
So...
my Grandma died the other day. She's been ill for ages so it wasn't a surprise, tbh we were kind of waiting for the news. I didn't really know her at all, I mean I saw her a couple of times a year, or maybe just every other year, but I didn't really have any emotional attachement to her. Just kind of the relative you had to go and see. So I didn't really feel sad at all when she died. I kinda feel bad for my mum, who will have to look after my Grandad, but I kinda feel like I should care more...

tl;dr: I'm wondering, does anyone here also feel like they lack an emotional attachement to alot of things?? Lack of sentiment?
If you didn't know her i don't see any real reason to be overly sad about it.
Yeah i know i won't be sad when either of mine die, i'll just have to fake it to make my parents happy
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
I'm the same way with my grandma.
I visit her all the time, and i know her and stuff.
But she can't even pick up a pen and write her own name, i feel like when she dies, I wont care that much, because i know Its going to happen soon.
same thing happened to me TS, i rarely saw my grandmother, maybe once sometimes twice a year
Sig space available, give me some praise
same with my great grandma. She died when i was about 10 years old... and she was sick about 65% of my whole life 'till then... and i just came to see her in the nursing home when she was sick.... i was kind of sad when she died, but i didn't like bawl my eyes out or anything...

If you're not close, it's okay.
You don't cry everytime you read the obituaries, do you?
It's, imo, the same thing.
O O

___
Yeah, I guess it's normal.

But I'm the same way with objects. I mean, I don't ****in look over old photos or toys and think "Ahhh remember when....." I'd just rather throw that shit away lol.
Quote by the1
Yeah, I guess it's normal.

But I'm the same way with objects. I mean, I don't ****in look over old photos or toys and think "Ahhh remember when....." I'd just rather throw that shit away lol.

I like my old toys and photos....
not really, she lived out her full life, old people die, its just what happens.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Hey, why make yourself sad? Better than not being able to be happy.
Staff Sergeant of The Megadeth Military
PM BlackicN to join

Archbishop of Zeppelinism
PM heartbreaker

Gear
Guitars
ESP LTD MH1000
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat
81 Gibson SG
Parker PM20
Amps
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland Cube 60x
This reminds me of my great grandpa.
Before he died, he couldn't remember my name or who I was, and I've known him all my life.

MC name = Bearrorism
I'm the same way, my grandpa passed a couple weeks ago. I knew him, but we weren't very close. It was an awakening, since it was my first relative that died, but I wasn't very sad. It was more saddening to see my dad's reaction, since he was pretty down and he hardly ever shows emotions like that.
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
This reminds me. My grandma died about a year ago. I think I could've been a little more respectful to my mom that week. I mean I was playing my guitar like usual, loud and such, a couple of days after like nothing happened.
Yes, I am a cold hearted prick too, TS.

Both my grandmothers and my one grandfather (the other died 5 years before I was born) died within 2-3 years. Didn't cry once (almost at the first funeral, because it was the first one I've ever been to).

And we lived very close. My grandmother (first funeral) was across the street from me my whole life and my grandfather (third, small funeral) and grandmother (second, cremated) only lived a few blocks away. Only felt close to my first grandmother, but I really don't "miss" any of them. I'm 20, they died when I was in high school.
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
It makes perfect sense that you wouldn't be emotionally attached to someone that you only saw once a year or so. The fact that she was your grandmother doesn't mean anything emotionally significant if she wasn't an active part of your life to begin with.

People aren't growing less emotional, or losing interpersonal connection skills, the traditional idea of family has just fallen apart.
Well, I guess shit happens.
I live away from home at school so I ain't exactly a big family kinda person lol.
yeah, i'll probably feel sadder for my parents by proxy when by grandparents die... i barely know them, and rarely see them. i don't get upset about old people passing though... gotta happen sometime... i say once you're 60, you better be ready to kick off at any time.
I feel like I should be closer with my grandparents, but I have nothing in common with them and we barely see them. I also feel like I should have a slightly deeper connection with my immediate family. I'm not emotionally disconnected from them, but I think I could have a much stronger bond with them.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I think as a medical student I sometimes look back and reflect on how callous medical students can be. We spend our time in the Dissection Room with up to 20 dead bodies lying on metal tables exposed and opened up, yet we rarely consider them as human beings, and more just as something which is quite soft and slimy that resembles what we need to learn. It's extremely surreal. I also wonder if we empathise enough when meeting actual patients. I don't want to become a careless doctor who sees everyone as another disease.
Quote by Gargantuan
This reminds me of my great grandpa.
Before he died, he couldn't remember my name or who I was, and I've known him all my life.

-hug-

I see my grandparents maybe once every two years, since they live in China. My paternal grandmother has heart disease now, and my maternal grandfather doesn't recognize anyone but his wife. I love them because they're part of my family, of course, but I know I'll never be very close to them.
I couldn't even talk to my grandmother (she spoke Cantonese which I don't speak) yet when she died I was really sad. I didn't really feel much until I saw her inside her coffin and that's when I started to cry.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
Quote by tyronelab
I think as a medical student I sometimes look back and reflect on how callous medical students can be. We spend our time in the Dissection Room with up to 20 dead bodies lying on metal tables exposed and opened up, yet we rarely consider them as human beings, and more just as something which is quite soft and slimy that resembles what we need to learn. It's extremely surreal. I also wonder if we empathise enough when meeting actual patients. I don't want to become a careless doctor who sees everyone as another disease.

I think if I ever were to become a doctor, that would be the main thing I would have to try not to succumb to. I wouldn't want to be so un sensitive.
I lived with my grandad for the first 15 years of my life and when he died I didn't feel anything (aside from feeling bad for my mum) until about...a year and a bit later? when I just started crying all the time about it.

lol
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by meh!
I lived with my grandad for the first 15 years of my life and when he died I didn't feel anything (aside from feeling bad for my mum) until about...a year and a bit later? when I just started crying all the time about it.

lol

That "lol" suggests cynicism. Join the club.
the lol was just cause I thought the situation was odd my self. I had know idea why it suddenly hit me so hard such a longer time afterwards and it was strange.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by metaldud536
I like my old toys and photos....

so do i, i cant bare to get rid of them

and i remember when my grandma died, i cried really bad, because she had just become ill and she died a month or so later.

but my grandad is now 94, and hes a lonely man, in pain. i will be sad when he goes, but in a way i wont. i'll see it as a relief for him
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
tl;dr: I'm wondering, does anyone here also feel like they lack an emotional attachement to alot of things?? Lack of sentiment?

A lot of things.
I'm along the same lines as most of the people here, emotionally detached from family. I would be more sad if my friends were to die than my parents I think. Then again I just got a new stepfather like 3 years ago and we're not very close.

But I think I'm just emotionally detached in general. Last night one of my best friends was having a hard time. She used to do all sorts of drugs and alcohol, but then stopped, 6-7 of her friends from high school have died this year, and her mom brings it up like every time they talk. This girl was bawling, and I felt bad for her, but I couldn't make my face show it. It was like I was a freaking statue. I wanted to cry for her or something, just show something, but I couldn't. I'm such a calloused person
Quote by aaciseric
But wouldn't all that be worth it to ride a zebra around campus? Perhaps dressed in chainmail? Maybe with a plastic sword and a wench who may or may not just be a prostitute?

My Grandma died this summer and I felt nothing. We were pretty close, I maybe saw her every other week. Everyone else in my family was crying (except me and my brother). I just felt bad for my Grandpa. Then again, I can't even remember the last time I actually cried.

Desensitization ftl.
I'm not empathetic.
If you barely knew her, how could it be any sadder than the thought that the fellow at your local supermarket, who you've probably talked to a fair bit over the years, will soon die?

One thing I often find funny is, next time you pass someone on the street, think about them. You could go the rest of your life never seeing them; statistically, if you're in a crowded place, say, 250 people in a town square, I would guess one of them would be dead within the next few days.
Also, 1 in 4 (or 5?) will have a sexually transmitted disease.
Yes, and I love it.

I mean, look at the average teenage slut who cries over nothing, knows nothing and expects everything.

I am cold as ice with good grades and zero expectations.

The whole system is falling apart anyway, just a matter of time before a) the New World Order gets what it wants (centralized world government, European Union, NAFTA, NASA, CIA, Elite families ****ing up the banking system by withdrawing money - that doesn't exist - into their own pockets while selling the remaining idiots the illusion that we have to fight for our survival, LOL) or b) we start a new, better world based on love and knowledge, unlike our current one where hate, fear and hierarchy is controlling us.

Don't be afraid though, we are just having front seats in the cockpit while the plane is crashing - we'll wake up somehow, it's just a matter of time !
Last edited by -Vogel- at Oct 4, 2008,
my uncle Grandfather died when i was ten, but i didn't feel anything. i saw him, what, 2 times a year?
There are less then 3 people that if they died i would cry. Not that i don't love / care about my parents but I guess it just isn't the way I am.
I have to admit I am totally unattached to things & people. The few people I do care about really are all that would merit more than a shrug if something happened to them. The rest I just fake to appear more normal
ive seen my grandma maybe 6-7 times in my enitire life but i deeply love her, and my grandpa on my mom's side i only met when i was four, but i was devastated by his death.
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Page 1 of 2