can it be done? i have heard both ways. i am looking to make a custom SG project and would like to use a neck with an angled head stock like a les paul. thanks
The latest issue of Guitar Player actually has some info on this if you read between the lines. Neal Schon of Journey has added FR style tremolos to his Gibson Les Pauls. What's interesting though is he mentions that with a standard Les Paul the neck set angle is too much and the tremolo ends up sitting too high off the guitar top for his comfort (which makes perfect sense). He actuall had some Les Pauls made with a reduced angle so the tremolo ended up at a more normal height. IF you're prepared to live with the higher bridge it could be done but of course you need to do some routing on the top & back as well for the block and springs. It's a heavy modification and maybe you should consider just buying a guitar designed for this.
Moving on.....
well i will not be using an actual les paul neck so i will look at custom neck companys and see if i can have one made with less angle. gibson necks are 13* correct? how many * do you think i will need to take off? maybe 3?
^ Well he is building the guitar... so I'm pretty sure that in itself is as heavy a modification you can do.

You know, modifying a tree into a guitar?

Also, standard SG bodies are too thin to accept a FR trem. You would need to make yours thicker.

And, why would headstock angle affect what bridge you use? If you mean neck angle, then yeah, but the headstock won't really matter.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
^ Well he is building the guitar... so I'm pretty sure that in itself is as heavy a modification you can do.

Also, standard SG bodies are too thin to accept a FR trem. You would need to make yours thicker.

And, why would headstock angle affect what bridge you use? If you mean neck angle, then yeah, but the headstock won't really matter.

alright thanks for telling me about the body i would of been pissed when it wouldnt of worked. a 350 dollar body and 200 dollar trem. ha maybe ill just go back to the strat idea like i originally had. or i'll ask the shop if they can make the body thicker. this is my first build so i am not cutting the body and everything myself until i see how this goes.
^ Good idea. I could measure my SG for you, and my FR, to see how much thicker it needs to be.

However, I'm sure you can find that information on google just as fast.

Also, if you are getting th body custom cut, I'm sure they can do it to whatever thickness you specify.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
^ Good idea. I could measure my SG for you, and my FR, to see how much thicker it needs to be.

However, I'm sure you can find that information on google just as fast.

Also, if you are getting th body custom cut, I'm sure they can do it to whatever thickness you specify.

exellent thanks for the help. i think i will ask warmoth to make me an sg to strat thickness since i already know i like the feel of it, and ill have them do the routing for a floyd original.
Quote by Øttər
Sounds awesome. Just post us some pics!!!

soon as i sell my paintball gear i can order. anyone want a 2005 angel 05 speed? ha
Quote by Øttər

Most people don't build guitars, they assemble them from pre-made components, hardly rocket science or major wood working compare to starting with trees!

I agree with the rest of your comments though.
Moving on.....
so the verdict is i can have what ever head stock angel i want? i'm using the locking nut anyway so i didnt see how it would matter but ive just heard both ways.