This is my first time buying strings for my guitar and I was wondering what kind I should get. I need something $25 or under for a full set. I'm playing classic rock, metal, and some fusion. My bridge is double locking, I don't know if that matters or not.
under $25? are you getting bass strings or what...? Decent guitar strings are like $5

Try some Ernie Ball Slinkies, or DR strings if the store has 'em. I would NOT reccommend D'addarios or Elixirs.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Couple things:

1) For $25 buying guitar strings will net you a handful of new sets. If you were buying bass, those are in that price range but unless you're buying Elixer or Cleartone brand strings, you shouldn't spend more than $7 on a pack.

2) I'd almost suggest having a tech restring for you, and ask if you can watch them do it? So you can ask questions and get familiar with it. It's not hard at all, just... specific.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
I know all about how to restring the double locking bride-the spring tension and everything.
Good. Now go to your local music store and get some strings.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
I'd say Ernie Ball Super Slinkys are good beginner strings, well any 09's for that matter but I always use Ernie Balls and never have trouble with em. Once your comfortable with 09's I'd recommend going up to 10's for the simple fact that it will give you a better sound for big chunky classic rock riffs and you can tune down for metal without the strings becoming a floppy mess.
well ... works like this: you enter the store.. go to the desk and say: i need some new strings.. i want some "ex: d'addarios 10's" for electric guitar ...
D'addario is the name of the string manufacture.. "10's" are the thickness of the strings.. 10 refer to the thickness of the highest string (high E string)
if you don't know what thickness you need then go for 10's.. they are the basic standard and are good for everything.. and probalby your guitar is mounted with 10's..
for the manufactiure.. there is not a huge difference.. but you DOn't wanna buy the cheapest.. because they are like steel wire.. and your fingers will hurt after a short time of playing.. i recommend D'addario and Ernie ball strings... don't go for fender strings.. they suck.. DR strings might also be good i dunno.. but a lot of guys in metal use them..
Last edited by Roopelatvalafan at Oct 4, 2008,
yeah, dont get 09s, its like playin with twangy spaghetti. get at least 10s, especially if you tune down. my standard tuning is Eflat, and i use 11 EB slinkys, and i love em. dont get d'addario. i used them for a while, and they werent anything special.
Quote by monkeysintheday
I have trained a live tarantula to calm and sit on my guitar due to the awesome powers of my rocking. When I am not playing it angrily bounces about my room hitting everything that isn't me.

Quote by stef123

rageagainst64 you are a legend!
Quote by dude9521
When you say 09s u mean the guage of the strings, right?

09 is the gauge of the high E string in mm.
If you have a double locking trem, I'd get the same string gauge you have right now. If you don't know what that is, take it in and have the tech measure them. Then buy that gauge. Especially if you like it.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
All personal preference. I prefer DR 10s for what you want them for. D'Addario makes better 9s though.
GHS boomers are the best electric guitar strings. in my opinion.

I've tried at least 10 different brands of strings, and GHS was my favourite, been using them for 2 years
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
do you know what gauge is on there know because you cant change gauge on a floating trem without setup
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by lewis_grey
09 is the gauge of the high E string in mm.

that's .09 in mm, the decimal makes a huge difference
i couldn't imagine a 9 mm high e string... or any string for that matter.
Quote by danyellenik
GHS boomers are the best electric guitar strings. in my opinion.

I've tried at least 10 different brands of strings, and GHS was my favourite, been using them for 2 years

+1

I love my Boomers, and with $25, just get a few different brands and try 'em out.
DRs ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IM TELLING YA, THEY ARE THE BEST!!!!