Hi, im pretty convinced im going to buy an active EMG for my epiphone les paul standard, but I had a few questions about active EMGs first.

1) What do you use for batteries? Is it just any nine volt? Or are there special batteries that the emgs use that you need to buy from a guitar store or something?

2) Is it quite easy to replace batteries when you need to? Is it basically just opening the back of the guitar quick rip the old one out and put the new one in?

3) how often do you on average need to change batteries?
1) a 9v is what you use, you can do some mods to run it using 2 9v's
2) yes it's easy to replace, chances are your going to have the battery in the electronics compartment, just take the plate of, take battery out and put a new one in
3) ehh, depends i would just change them every 6-8 months (for one pup) if your running 2, then about 3-4
Last edited by Ghold125 at Oct 4, 2008,
Alright, thanks a ton. That settles it, im going for one. I was just worried before that once my battery runs out i have to go out and spend another 20 some dollars or whatever on a special emg battery. And if all that it requires to replace it is removing the plate, i should be able to handle that easily.
Quote by brockg1214
3) how often do you on average need to change batteries?

as long as you unplug your guitar after every use, you should get 6 months to a year out of the batteries, in my experience.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
You know, I don't know where all of these small amounts of time are coming from with battery life..

I've had EMG's in my Jackson Warrior for about three -years-, and I've yet to change the battery. Just pull the cord out of your guitar when you're done playing..
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by Ghold125
o yea, you might also to have to all new wiring with all new pots...

you will have to have all new wiring with all new pots. they come prewired, but if you're putting them in a Les Paul, you have to order long-shaft pots from EMG through the place that you buy the pickups because Les Pauls have a plate in the control compartment.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
you will have to have all new wiring with all new pots. they come prewired, but if you're putting them in a Les Paul, you have to order long-shaft pots from EMG through the place that you buy the pickups because Les Pauls have a plate in the control compartment.

Right, not only that, but switching to EMG's isn't quite a quick swap for Duncan's or DiMarzio's or something. If you haven't ever didn't any electronical work on your guitar, you're probably reeeeeaaallly better off letting a music store put them in.
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by HavokStrife
Right, not only that, but switching to EMG's isn't quite a quick swap for Duncan's or DiMarzio's or something. If you haven't ever didn't any electronical work on your guitar, you're probably reeeeeaaallly better off letting a music store put them in.

It's not that tough, just requires a soldering iron, solder, and a little bit of skill. It's hard to screw anything up irreparably, and they come with pretty clear instructions. That said, it'll only be like $40 to have them installed, so if you can part with that, go for it.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
what amp are you using?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I use to run 18 volts, but it gives the sound to much bass. It sounds better to just run 9 volts. It keeps the guitar in the guitar range of the mix if that makes any sence.