Hey guys, i'm after a new amp, i've been playing 2 years now, and seriously wanting to move away from my tiddly little 15watt fender frontman practise amp and onto something a lot bigger, louder and something to more suit my taste for metal.

Orginally i was looking at a Line 6 Spider III 30 Watt, but i was told by my local guitar store that it wouldn't handle even small gigs and would distort at high volumes, so i'd like some suggestions for something similar.

What I'd Like:
- Cheap
- Loud enough to practise with AND for small gigs
- Durable
- Onboard reverb if possible
- Suitable for heavy metal but also clean reverby stuff like Metallica

Please help guys, amp noob here knows nothing and would like a new amp!

Cheers guys
Luke
I'm glad they were honest with you at your shop.
Roland Cube 60
Peavey Vypyr/Vypyr Tube
Peavey Valveking

Whats your budget?
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
What's your budget? Cheap doesn't mean anything.

But, seeing as you want a "cheap" amp:

Roland cube 60.

EDIT: It seems that I was ninja'd by the above poster
Hardly being honesty, probably just trying to get him to go with a higher wattage amp, the spiders shit, so its a good job you avoided it really, save your money a bit TS and go for a roland cube.
a peavey vypyr tube 60
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
What exactly do you mean by "cheap"
Really, you'll need about 500 for a good metal amp. Although the Cube is good for metal and is cheaper
I think a VK with a good overdrive would fit the bill nicely. Its definately loud enough to gig with, it has onboard spring reverb, altho the onboard gain might need a little boosting/tightening, its nothing a good drive pedal wouldnt fix easily.
Cheap, under 200-250.

I'm not really a fan of the cubes.
I play through a multi fx, so i don't wanna spend extra on one with onboard as i won't use it. Thanks for the feedback, seems Valvekings are the way forward.
Quote by Daniels192
Cheap, under 200-250.

I'm not really a fan of the cubes.
I play through a multi fx, so i don't wanna spend extra on one with onboard as i won't use it. Thanks for the feedback, seems Valvekings are the way forward.

No.

In that case, get a tiny terror.
Quote by DerekTheDominoe
No.

In that case, get a tiny terror.

for $300?

Don't judge me.
what major city do you live near, maybe we can find you a good quality used amp.

otherwise, new - you are limited to the Cube, Valveking, Vypyr and Orange Tiny Terror as mentioned. Not sure on the gigging part outside of the VK. You really need a budget closer to $500 to open up your options.
If you have FX Crate V Series.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by theoreticmusic
I'm glad they were honest with you at your shop.
Roland Cube 60
Peavey Vypyr/Vypyr Tube
Peavey Valveking

Not sure exactly what your prices are across the pond, and basically I'm too lazy today to pull up GAK to see. But all of these are good rec's. More importantly tho, I would try to find a used Laney or Orange too. There has to be a good UK used gear market, ring every store near you to see.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I honestly don't think you can find a gigging amp for under $250, used or new. You're going to want at least 30watts tube, at a bare minimum, usually those run about $250+ used.
50+ watts is highly recommended for the additional headroom.

And like the previous recommendations, look for a Bugera or Valveking combo. Sounds most feasible.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I honestly don't think you can find a gigging amp for under $250, used or new. You're going to want at least 30watts tube, at a bare minimum, usually those run about $250+ used.
50+ watts is highly recommended for the additional headroom.

And like the previous recommendations, look for a Bugera or Valveking combo. Sounds most feasible.

Yes, but Bugeras are 120 watts. He wants it for small gigs and bedroom practice.

I've gigged with a 5w Laney Lionheart combo once, so any statements about 30 tube watts minimum for SMALL gigs are false.
Quote by DerekTheDominoe
used.....or theft

its tough to find them under 400 used.

Don't judge me.
Quote by DerekTheDominoe
Yes, but Bugeras are 120 watts. He wants it for small gigs and bedroom practice.

I've gigged with a 5w Laney Lionheart combo once, so any statements about 30 tube watts minimum for SMALL gigs are false.

I'm sure you played metal through it with a hard hitting drummer, bassist, and another guitarist.

Still then, 120watts isn't difficult to deal with in a bedroom. In fact, bedroom practice means nothing, I can crank my amps in my bedroom, no one cares. If you live in an apartment, you can still cut it up enough for the amp to open up, maybe not be fully saturated, but at least it will have some presence.

A 5watt tube amp isn't going to cut at all. Much less have enough bells and whistles on the amp to make it worth it. I probably wouldn't even be audible next to a metal band playing a small gig. If you can disprove me, go ahead. Until then I call BS.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I'm sure you played metal through it with a hard hitting drummer, bassist, and another guitarist.

Still then, 120watts isn't difficult to deal with in a bedroom. In fact, bedroom practice means nothing, I can crank my amps in my bedroom, no one cares. If you live in an apartment, you can still cut it up enough for the amp to open up, maybe not be fully saturated, but at least it will have some presence.

A 5watt tube amp isn't going to cut at all. Much less have enough bells and whistles on the amp to make it worth it. I probably wouldn't even be audible next to a metal band playing a small gig. If you can disprove me, go ahead. Until then I call BS.

+1 also, I've yet to find a good metal tube amp under 50 watts, never mind 5!!!

(the tiny terror does an okay job, but that's it pretty much for under 50 watts)
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
+1 also, I've yet to find a good metal tube amp under 50 watts, never mind 5!!!

(the tiny terror does an okay job, but that's it pretty much for under 50 watts)

There is like 2 parts to the equation for having a good metal tone in a tube amp.

Big transformers + lots of preamp gain = good metal tone

It takes a lot of power to make big transformers push low end well, which is why most metal heads are 100watts.

Lots of preamp gain comes from either 4 preamp tubes pulling a 1 channel amp, or 5+ pres pulling a 2+ channel amp. (pretty general I know) And gain stages for all those pres.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
There is like 2 parts to the equation for having a good metal tone in a tube amp.

Big transformers + lots of preamp gain = good metal tone

It takes a lot of power to make big transformers push low end well, which is why most metal heads are 100watts.

Lots of preamp gain comes from either 4 preamp tubes pulling a 1 channel amp, or 5+ pres pulling a 2+ channel amp. (pretty general I know) And gain stages for all those pres.

someone's gotta make sometime a small amp, like 5-15 watts, that has a huge output transformer, and lots of gain, great for metal. that would be awesome
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Someone(s) did.

Hughes and Kettner Edition Amp - 20 watts.
SuperChamp XD - 15 watts.
JSX mini Colossal - 5 watts.
Windsor Studio - 20 watts.

I'm sure there are others. But Mesa is right, big transformer plus preamp gain mean great metal tone. But low wattage tube options do exist. (I realize the Champ isn't an "all tube signal path" and I don't really care, it's a great amp).
Generally I'm getting kind of people not recommending these amps. All are very good amps - admittedly I wasn't fond of the Windsor but that doesn't mean the next guy won't be.
Quote by gregs1020
Someone(s) did.

Hughes and Kettner Edition Amp - 20 watts.
SuperChamp XD - 15 watts.
JSX mini Colossal - 5 watts.
Windsor Studio - 20 watts.

I'm sure there are others. But Mesa is right, big transformer plus preamp gain mean great metal tone. But low wattage tube options do exist. (I realize the Champ isn't an "all tube signal path" and I don't really care, it's a great amp).
Generally I'm getting kind of people not recommending these amps. All are very good amps - admittedly I wasn't fond of the Windsor but that doesn't mean the next guy won't be.

these amps are GOOD for metal
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
these amps are GOOD for metal

Low wattage bedroom stuff sure, actually the JSX was the worst of the 4 because at low volume the break up was weak. They aren't going to blow the top off of an arena no. But depending what kind of "annihilate a small country black throbbing death" you are into, sure.
Quote by MESAexplorer

Fine, I played blues/ funk fusion with it, that's why it cut. I forgot he wanted a metal amp, though. My bad.
Last edited by DerekTheDominoe at Oct 4, 2008,
Still Crate V Series.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Thanks for the feedback guys but it's not in $. <£200 is about $400.

I live in blackpool, near manchester and liverpool, north west england. Not many well stocked stores round here but my local guitar shop, only got about 50 guitars in there advised me to buy tubes. Been looking around the net and have seen some 30 watt tubes for under £200/$400 so i'm confident you guys can find me something. As i said, i use a mulitfx, will be upgrading to a better one soonish after i get this new amp so i won't need distortion on the amp.

I still don't really get all the tubes and preamps and stuff so if anyone can, brief explanation?

Cheers guys.
the powertubes are the ones that amplify your signal and the preamp tubes are the one that flavor and color your signal.

That being said, power tubes have a huge effect over the tone also. The main difference is, the power tube tone isn't shaped by the amp's EQ or controls, but instead is effected by how hard they are being pushed. This is why guys tell you to crank your tube amp. The downside to this is that tube amps are really really loud. A 5 watter in a bedroom will make your ears ring if you crank it. This is why many guys also advise a power attenuator. it lets you crank your amp but control the volume, these work great but there is a bit of tone loss in comarison to actually cranking it. Some of that tone loss might be due to how your ears perceive volumes as they increase, such as bass sounding more dominant as the volume of the amp goes up; and some tone loss is due to the fact that you're running your signal through more hardware.

As far as amps go, I'm going to recommend Bugera again. 120watts isn't much louder than 30 watts. And because it has a more linear volume adjustment, it's going to be much easier to control than a vintage styled amp.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio