So my bass player in my band has a 300w bass amp while I have a 100 w combo amp. Would I need to get a more powerful amp since he keeps saying he will always overpower me.
Dean From Hell
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Marshall Valvestate 2000
A bass amp can never drown out a guitar amp because they project different frequencies.

You should be fine, although you could probably get a better amp.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Turn your mids up. That should help.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
well, it depends. is your combo a tube or ss. tubes are much louder. it may help to just turn your mids up. turning your mids up makes you cut through quite a bit better.
--------------------------------
GEAR
Guitars----
Aria:Ariana
Ibanez:RG7321
Peavey:Raptor Sig. series
Peavey:EXP Sig. series
ESP LTD: V-500
Amplifiers----
Orange 2X12 cab
Peavey: JSX
Peavey: XXL
Thanks for the quick responses. Mine is a hybrid so basically it's a solid state.
Dean From Hell
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Marshall Valvestate 2000
bass amps also have to be louder... i think they should actually be around the same vol.

If your friend thinks it's gonna be way louder b/c it's just got more watts, tell him, please, that "he's retarded." Thanks.

EDIT: Well, if it's a hybrid, you'd be better off w/ a tube amp. He still doesn't have to turn his amp all the way up... it's got a vol. knob.

I use my VK (50w tube amp) for bedroom practice... just turn the volume to 0.3
O O

___
Last edited by TheBax at Oct 4, 2008,
100watts can cut through 300watts of bass amp.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Quote by TheBax

If your friend thinks it's gonna be way louder b/c it's just got more watts, tell him, please, that "he's retarded." Thanks.
:

I will lol
Dean From Hell
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Marshall Valvestate 2000
Mid scoops=Drowning out.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Again, i have the EASIEST recommendation... just TELL HIM TO TURN THE VOLUME DOWN!!! He doesn't need to play all the way up... you can both find a "meeting" point...
O O

___
Quote by TheBax
Again, i have the EASIEST recommendation... just TELL HIM TO TURN THE VOLUME DOWN!!! He doesn't need to play all the way up... you can both find a "meeting" point...

thats what i was going to say, you would think people in bands would work round the quietest person and set everything us so they can be herd, but from what i hear people say they cant be herd cause other guys in the bands are to loud so they need a louder amp
Quote by scottish nutter
thats what i was going to say, you would think people in bands would work round the quietest person and set everything us so they can be herd, but from what i hear people say they cant be herd cause other guys in the bands are to loud so they need a louder amp

I'm pretty sure my bass player knows that he will turn down if he is that powerful.
Dean From Hell
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Marshall Valvestate 2000
Quote by scottish nutter

Yeah, i hate it when i see thread on here, like, "I NEED A BIGGER AMP, MY OTHER GUITARIST KEEPS GOING LOUDER THAN ME..."

I just wanna find the other guy drowning out the guy w/ the little amp, and just break his guitar in half! I can't stand it when people are so disrespectful to others... especially in the SAME band!

[/RANT] Lol...
O O

___
again, how is your amp eq'ed?

Volume and cutting through a mix are two completely different matters. Being drown out by a bass amp sounds like the typical problem of scooped sound, you're using a Boss metal zone, which naturally cuts mids and boosts low end.
Quote by al112987
again, how is your amp eq'ed?

Volume and cutting through a mix are two completely different matters. Being drown out by a bass amp sounds like the typical problem of scooped sound, you're using a Boss metal zone, which naturally cuts mids and boosts low end.

I feel like a retard now because all I do is turn up the treble and put down the mid.
Dean From Hell
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Marshall Valvestate 2000
Quote by TheBax
Yeah, i hate it when i see thread on here, like, "I NEED A BIGGER AMP, MY OTHER GUITARIST KEEPS GOING LOUDER THAN ME..."

I just wanna find the other guy drowning out the guy w/ the little amp, and just break his guitar in half! I can't stand it when people are so disrespectful to others... especially in the SAME band!

[/RANT] Lol...

No, ya know what sucks. I play in a band and theres one other guitarist, but some other kid who plays guitar comes to jam sometimes. I have the most experience out us 3 but they play louder than me. The one kid has a Spider III 75w and the other one has a shitty Yamaha 50w(sounds like complete shit). And the sad part is I HAVE A 5150!! But I have mine quieter than theirs because im trying to not be a douchebag.
Quote by Hitman 49
I feel like a retard now because all I do is turn up the treble and put down the mid.

There you go. I recommend ditching the Metal Zone, at least when playing with a band.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?