i bought this amp used 3 months ago from guitar center. i sound was brutal and loud as hell. then a couple of days ago the sound started cracking and cutting out... lights always stayed on but you could barely hear any sound. play with knobs and then you would get sound again, but eventually the sound would start crackling and then... nothing. i took the tube cover off to check out the tubes. inside are harmonix on the 1st, 3rd, and 4th connectors... on the second and 5th is sovteck. i cut the amp on and thumped each pretube... the 5th one(sovteck) made a really funny tingy bell sound. sooo... i was like there is my damn problem, just get a new tube and i want have to buy a whole set. before i headed out to guitar center i figured i'd do one more trouble shoot. i switched the 5th sovteck with the 2nd second sovteck. still i only got that weird tingy bell sound to come out of the 5th pretube slot. i also tried putting the harmonix pretubes were the sovteck's were... got a weird electric buzz sound but no sound from the guitar and no tingy bell sound from the 5th pretube slot.

question 1...

1. on the 6505 combo, is there suppose to be different pretubes just for reverb?( a guy from guitar center said that the sovteck pretubes could be there just for reverb)

2. what the hell is wrong with my amp!!!!
I would do a complete retube. I know that's not cheap, and maybe not what you wanted to hear, but the problem(s) you are describing really sound like a tube issue.
Quote by TheEsupremacy
I would do a complete retube. I know that's not cheap, and maybe not what you wanted to hear, but the problem(s) you are describing really sound like a tube issue.

any suggestions on what tubes to get? i hear jj is pretty good. i have my guitar drop tuned pretty low... i'd like to clean up the mud a little. i know tubes aren't cure all, but they do effect the sound a little...
they normally put 12AX7's in 6505's stock so i'd suggest those
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Order the high gain set of tubes from

www.eurotubes.com

they are all JJ's and after the retube it will sound spectacular, although probably a bit darker.
I used two Black Sable 6L6's for my power and five JJ's 12ax7's for my pre. I couldn't be happier with resulting tone.

I'd be willing to bet a retube would solve your problem instantly.
new tubes my friend, i would go look around and see what would be the best tubes for your style and sound you want to achieve.
mesa tubes work wonders in 5150/6505s
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Quote by spiff389
mesa tubes work wonders in 5150/6505s

DO NOT WANT
why would you want a mesa sound in a 6505, thats like using a condom with a hole in it. it just doesnt make any sense.
It's your power tubes. The 5th preamp slot is the Phase Inverter, which is part of the power amp, not to mention what you explained is exactly what happens when power tubes die

Quote by convictionless

DO NOT WANT
why would you want a mesa sound in a 6505, thats like using a condom with a hole in it. it just doesnt make any sense.

I don't think he's saying it'll make it sound like a Mesa, but really Mesa tubes are really overpriced, they're just rebranded tubes that Mesa tests to work in their own amps.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
yeah, they won't make it sound like a mesa. true that they're overpriced, i've got them in my vtm and i love 'em
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.