how does necrophagist manage to get such an eerie, evil sound in their songs?
what I'm more confused by is how they have the music so technical but still manage to create that atmosphere?
bands like mayhem are/were quite good at creating an evil sound, but are mostly simple riffs and melodies.

why is it that them playing a D minor arpeggio sounds so much better/eviler than me playing a D minor arpeggio for example?

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Context is a big part of it. All of the elements of the music, the powerful drums, the low,low bass, and the growling all helps the evilness. And atmosphere might come from how the production as well.
Quote by qotsa1998
Context is a big part of it. All of the elements of the music, the powerful drums, the low,low bass, and the growling all helps the evilness. And atmosphere might come from how the production as well.

how would i write for drums to help get me a sound a bit closer to them then?
and looking at the bass parts i cant see anything special about them compared to what i normally write for a bassist.
how would the production affect it? do you mean bad quality kind of helps with the weird sound? it probably does, why does every black metal band try to do it ?

thanks for helping qotsa1998!

Generally they go for more diminished arps than minor arps, but the thing that makes Necrophagist work is their tone and mixing. You've got to rehearse it with a full band and get the chemistry and sound right.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by duncang
Generally they go for more diminished arps than minor arps, but the thing that makes Necrophagist work is their tone and mixing. You've got to rehearse it with a full band and get the chemistry and sound right.

i know they mostly use diminished arps but in stabwounds they manage to make a D minor arp sound quite evil, with just a d power chord and the low d on the bass, which cant be any different to when i play that.

im curious about the thing about tone and mixing though, and shred201 i didn't mean it was bad, just different to children of bodom's production for example - wrong words to use eh?