I have a body with a square neck pocket. I also happen to have a neck with a rounded heel.

I'm thinking that even if they had matching scale lengths and everything, they would not be compatible. Am I correct?

Also, if I have a Floyd Rose, and locking tuners, do I need the locking nut?

That is all, please help me with this simple question. Thanks UG.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
I'm gonna guess on question numero uno, and say no they wouldnt work.

for question two, as far as I understand it, the locking nut is a large part of how a floyd works, by reducing chances that your strings get caught in your nut, and holding them in place. So I'd get them anyway, but with locking tuners whether or not you need them, is up in the air.
^ thanks for posting, but I'm back where I stared

Rofl... k I'll wait for a more "definitive" answer.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
The neck will work with the body. All you have to do is make the neck fit the body such that the bridge is as far from the 12th fret as the 12th fret is from the nut. Even if it's a different scale length from before, it will work great as long as the 12th fret is exactly halfway between the nut and the bridge.

A floyd rose does not need a locking nut. All a locking nut does is keep the guitar in tune while you use the trem. A locking nut really helps if you're gonna use the trem a lot, though, as the guitar will want to go out of tune quite a bit. But the locking tuners should keep the guitar in tune fairly well. I'd recommend a roller nut, though, so there is no binding in the nut if you use locking tuners.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
Last edited by DuctTapeNinja at Oct 4, 2008,
Quote by Øttər
I have a body with a square neck pocket. I also happen to have a neck with a rounded heel.

I'm thinking that even if they had matching scale lengths and everything, they would not be compatible. Am I correct?

Also, if I have a Floyd Rose, and locking tuners, do I need the locking nut?

That is all, please help me with this simple question. Thanks UG.

Chances are, it'll work. For example, the "rounded" neck heel of a Strat neck will work on the "square" neck pocket of a Tele.

I've seen non-FR necks with locking tuners matched to bodies with a FR and they stay in tune. I'd use the locking nuts though.

Quote by Ippon
Chances are, it'll work. For example, the "rounded" neck heel of a Strat neck will work on the "square" neck pocket of a Tele.

I've seen non-FR necks with locking tuners matched to bodies with a FR and they stay in tune. I'd use the locking nuts though.

Chris Broderick? He barely uses his floyd.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
As long as the scale length works out okay, just make the heel fit with some sanding/routing.

As for the Floyd.. you 'can' run a FR without a locking nut and locking tuners instead, but it puts a LOT of pressure on the nut during divebombs and whatever other crazy trem tricks people do. With a locking nut, the stresses from bends and dives are spread across the neck and taken by the neck wood and truss rod. Without a locking nut, they concentrate on the nut area and the neck-headstock join.. which isn't the strongest part of a guitar.
Ok thanks for all thew info.

The thing is, I have my guitar project which many of you have seen, that white one. Well, the neck is ****ed beyond repair by me. So I have this old yamaha body and neck laying around, I thought I could put the neck to use. Apparently I can, so I will. Thanks for that.

The yamaha neck, though, won't accept the FR nut. I won't use the trem at all anyway, so I figured I could just use a regular nut with some locking tuners. Which, apparently, I can also do.

So, if any of you think that putting a rounded heel neck onto a square pocket is bad idea, please tell me not to, and try to explain why.

For those of you who think I should use a locking nut, even though I won't use the trem, please explain why.

Thanks again guys, I'm going to measure some scale lengths .
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
The nut shelf isn't wide enough for the FR nut, and the headstock drops off, so I can't route for it or anything.

I would need a shim, and from my past experience, that just doesn't go too well.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Yeah the neck will fit in the pocket, but a prick will also fit into a shirt sleeve, just not very well.

Obviously, you want a tight fitting neck pocket for maximum wood to wood contact equalling maximum sustain, and stability.

If you use a rounded off neck with a squared off neck pocket, you'll have gaps either side of the centreline. I wouldn't do it, but if you're willing to fit a floyd and then not use it, then you might aswell go all out and bodge the whole thing.
My Sig Is Coming Soon