Well, I've never been that great at improvising, which I know is what a lot of metal players do to come up with their solos, but I've never been that good at improvising because I tend to play the same licks and arpeggios over and over. So my solution is to write out my solos note for note. However, I want to write the solo so that it flows really well, and sounds like it's being improvised. I am way into shredding and playing fast (I try to emulate players like Jeff Loomis and Jason Becker). So UG... any tips? Thanks.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
Steal licks from your favorite players, combine them together and let's call that composing a solo.
how much theory do you know?

if you know the notes that go together then it should be alot easier
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by Don Rickles
Steal licks from your favorite players, combine them together and let's call that composing a solo.
Because originality is so uncool.

To T/S
You really need to learn to improvise. Most of those famous solos you hear are improvised, they might not use the first take though. Other than that, some guys play their new songs live before they record and improvise until they find stuff that sounds good. Either way you really need to learn to improvise.

Its really not that hard, but trying to improvise a shred solo as your first solo would be like jumping into thee deep end without knowing how to swim.
My advice is this: Learn 2 or 3 pentatonic shapes and become good at moving through the shapes.
Phrase your early solos like a singing melody, think of this as if your singing with your guitar.
Listen to some blues, I know metal fanboys generally hate the blues but blues solos are so similar to metal solos.
Try to be able to use your ear and be able to pick out the stressed beats (when playing over something), on those stressed beats try to play chord tones (you might want to avoid the root though).

Take it slow, after a while you'll be able to improvise some shred.
I usually improv over the track everytime the leads come in, after playing in enough times you just find leads you like over the progression. Its pretty rare if I actually try and compose the leads, i'd have to have a melody in my head already
I usually will write a bare bones melody to start. The main points that i want to get to in the song. After that, I mean, it's like asking how to paint an amazing painting. You need to have an idea yourself as to what you want to achieve. One thing I recommend though, which some shred detractors will giggle at, is keep it musical. While it's convenient to just memorize patterns and arpeggios and then shift them around the neck, it'll bore most serious musicians to death. You can play fast without making the music in poor taste. A personal hatred of mine is when guitarists single out their techniques, as in like, 4 measures of pure alternate picking, 4 measures of sweep picking, etc. But the basic idea, which parallels the way I write papers, is to outline the main points, and then stress over clever ways to fill in the gaps.

On a personal note, I'm not a big fan of improvisation. One thing to keep in mind though, is that the good improvisational players don't usually pick up the instrument with absolutely no idea what they want to achieve. They're not playing a rehearsed piece, but somewhere in there they have an idea of what they want to do, and as such are not just playing random licks and notes. Take an improv poet, although they're going up without a rehearsed poem, they're not going up without a vocabulary or knowledge of grammar and sentence structure (and clever ways of bending the "rules" =D). So even if you just want to improv, you'll still need to pay your dues writing (or copying/stealing) all sorts of musical phrases and then experimenting with them to see how you can string them together.
One way of writing solo's is just to listen to the song and try to imagine the solo over it. Only when you have a good idea of what you want to play do you actually then try and play it. Good improvising is done like this too, but much faster. You have to think of the next phrase in your solo while your playing it, otherwise you can end up just playing random notes or maybe things you found by accident another day.

Hope this helps