Hello Pit,

For those of you that actually read (that have the mental capacity TO read), do you think Tom Clancy is a good author?

Personally, I feel he is the author that pretty much invented the modern Political/Military Thriller genre.
He's okay... I was never able to get into most of his stuff, but I've read a few.

I don't think he deserves a statue or anything, but he's not bad.
Quote by Shortay
Hello Pit,

For those of you that actually read (that have the mental capacity TO read), do you think Tom Clancy is a good author?

Personally, I feel he is the author that pretty much invented the modern Political/Military Thriller genre.

WHAT? WHAT?

WHAT?

WHAT?

Anyway moving swiftly on, I have half read the book white book of his.. forgot what it's called.. Tom Clancy... Self titled? Damn, can't remember. Anyway, it was quite a good read; going to start it again as this was years ago. It's the one where it starts on a plane and involves the IRA somewhere and a theme park.

TAKEN FROM WIKIPEDIA -

Rainbow Six (1998)
Released to coincide with the computer game of the same name. John Clark and Ding, who is now John's son-in-law, lead an elite multi-national anti-terrorist unit that combats a worldwide genocide attempt by eco-terrorists. (Jack Ryan is the U.S. President and only mentioned or referred to as either 'The President' or 'Jack'.)

That one.
Last edited by Jackolas at Oct 4, 2008,
Quote by Jackolas
WHAT? WHAT?

WHAT?

WHAT?

Anyway moving swiftly on, I have half read the book white book of his.. forgot what it's called.. Tom Clancy... Self titled? Damn, can't remember. Anyway, it was quite a good read; going to start it again as this was years ago. It's the one where it starts on a plane and involves the IRA somewhere and a theme park.

Yeh, that book is called Rainbow Six. Even based a bunch of games off of that book.
Quote by Shortay
Hello Pit,

He's great. If you really like him, you should check out an author named Vince Flynn.
i like most of the games but i've never got round to reading his books...might give them a try
Sig space available, give me some praise
Quote by Shortay
Yeh, that book is called Rainbow Six. Even based a bunch of games off of that book.

Yeah I remember it being good, the games were sweet too (still made aren't they? the Vegas ones..)

Is it regarded as one of his best? Also, you should check out Andy McNab if you dig this stuff.
Quote by b2spirita
Red Storm Rising was his best work IMO

Agreed, but R6 is up there.
Quote by ttreat31
Agreed, but R6 is up there.

I personally loved "Hunt for Red October". Just finished Rainbow and am moving on to "Cardinal of the Kremlin"
I loved Rainbow Six and Hunt for Red October.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
i started reading one and this guy was on a plain and it kept going on about his gun and how he was gonna take down some guy and then there was some really dull bit about setting up a 'sting'.

Bored me rigid. If it's gonna be about guns and actions and that i'll watch a film so i can see the pretty explosions.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by Shortay
Hello Pit,

Wait we are on internet forums... I thought the mental capacity to read was required for that?
Quote by meh!
i started reading one and this guy was on a plain and it kept going on about his gun and how he was gonna take down some guy and then there was some really dull bit about setting up a 'sting'.

Bored me rigid. If it's gonna be about guns and actions and that i'll watch a film so i can see the pretty explosions.

that sounds like Rainbow Six. i know it started with them on a plane, and there were terrorists or something.

it was actually a pretty good book.
He hasn't had a new book in a while. Enjoyed most of his books that I've read, R6, Red October, Red Storm Rising, Patriot Game, Debt of Honor and Executive Orders.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt