Can humbuckers affect pinch harmonics? I can hear the harmonic, but my pickups seem not to be able to pick them up...am I just not doing it right? I already asked in the Pinch Harmonics thread, but that hasnt been posted in for a while...
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
Some pickups are more sensitive to harmonics than others but if your technique is good then the pickups don't make that much difference.

Make absolutely certain your technique is good then look to gear.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I have a strat with 3 single coils... and the pinch harmonics on it lack....
I have an esp f series with 2 humbuckers and it gives me decent harmonics

then i have 2 guitars with active emgs......which own for pinch harmonics
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
you can hear the harmonic but the pickups don't pick it up

sounds like an electrical issue - I'd go get it checked out - but also check you're technique before this otherwise you could get a little embarrassed in front of a guitar tech
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
Yeah, I think so. Single coils don't pick them up very well while Humbuckers do.
UG's AC/DC Lover
Quote by Rocker_94
Yeah, I think so. Single coils don't pick them up very well while Humbuckers do.

That's a myth; Single coils pick them up just as well and anyone who says otherwise is lacking technique, if I can get a decent pinch harmonic out of all the switch positions on all of my guitars then it all comes down to technique and I'm not even that good with them.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
though even with single coils..you should still hear it....
if you dont hear it at all something is wrong...
it just wont scream like a humbucker would....

also make sure you have your pickups set to the bridge position
and you are using a lot of distortion
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
That's a myth; Single coils pick them up just as well and anyone who says otherwise is lacking technique, if I can get a decent pinch harmonic out of all the switch positions on all of my guitars then it all comes down to technique and I'm not even that good with them.

Whenever I play guitars that have humbuckers, the pinch harmonics always pick up.
On any strat or tele or anything with single coils, they barely do.
UG's AC/DC Lover
Quote by Rocker_94
Whenever I play guitars that have humbuckers, the pinch harmonics always pick up.
On any strat or tele or anything with single coils, they barely do.

Then you should work on your harmonics a bit more... I think. I can hear harmonics just as good on the single coil neck position on my strat compared to the bridge humbucker on it, or the humbuckers on my SG. I've played with a guitar that had active EMGs, which made them "scream" a bit more, but I think they're meant to boost the harmonics more then other pickups.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Sir..... I disagree with you...

because I own several guitars.... and have played several other single coil guitars... and pinch harmonics just don't ring the same with a single coil...

how is it a matter of technique... when I can play a pinch harmonic on any string of a guitar with humbuckers...though when I decide to play a single coil guitar my skills are lacking?

it makes no sense
Total Failure

david gilmour seems to hit them ok...

although im no expert on them...i can barely do them
Quote by Slovak_Ghost
Sir..... I disagree with you...

because I own several guitars.... and have played several other single coil guitars... and pinch harmonics just don't ring the same with a single coil...

how is it a matter of technique... when I can play a pinch harmonic on any string of a guitar with humbuckers...though when I decide to play a single coil guitar my skills are lacking?

it makes no sense

I don't know but if guys like Malmsteen, Takayoshi Ohmura and many other players besides can make pinches sound just as well as anyone else then I fail to see how it can possibly be the pickups.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
assuming your technique is decent, yeah.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hahaha I didnt say it was impossible to do pinch harmonics with single coils....
with the right equipment it can work out just fine....

you can do pinch harmonics with single coils...i've done it

that is not what i am arguing

i am saying that predominantly with humbuckers.... pinch harmonics are more sharp and clear.... thats all
Total Failure

Just found this to illustrate my point: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RNKnhQIRHPw

I know it's a Slipknot song but bear with me, there are pinches in there and that guitar he's using has stock single coils in it; sounds fine to me and he's hardly some kind of virtuoso.

Edit: So essentially you're saying that pinches sound different on single coils because...*drum roll*...single coils have a different tone? Wow. What a revelation.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Oct 4, 2008,
using 2 humbuckers and i find it alot harder to do pinch harmonics on the neck pickup, much easier on the bridge pickup o_o
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
and he's hardly some kind of virtuoso.

hahahahahahahahhaahahahaha
ahhh I love youtube guitar videos.......

either way....IMO they sound better with humbuckers.....
Im not saying you are wrong
I just don't agree
Total Failure

Quote by vismbr
using 2 humbuckers and i find it alot harder to do pinch harmonics on the neck pickup, much easier on the bridge pickup o_o

That's absolutely normal, because of the way strings vibrate when you do harmonics the bridge pickup 'hears' the sound much better than the neck but it is possible to get a good scream out of the neck position too with practice.

Edit:
The tonal quality of them wasn't even really up for debate, what I originally said was that single coils do actually pick up the harmonics just as well as humbuckers as long as your technique is up to par. If you can't hear the harmonics it's almost certainly a technique issue, not a hardware problem.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Oct 4, 2008,
Well, i'm playing through humbuckers...cheapy, shitty humbuckers at that.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Pinch harmonics are about 90% technique. If I can make them audible on an acoustic guitar than you can make them audible on a single coil. It just takes a lot of practice making often hideous squealing noises out of your amp for a while. People will think you are murdering kittens, but just tell them:

"Hey, it's OK man, they're just pinch harmonics".
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
My friend, who can do them better than I, couldnt get one out of them...i'm going through a 10 watt amp, but with gain all the way up. Would a better amp help?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Quote by Jango22
My friend, who can do them better than I, couldnt get one out of them...i'm going through a 10 watt amp, but with gain all the way up. Would a better amp help?

Possibly, if it's not a technique problem it's more likely to be the amp than the guitar really, try going into a shop and seeing if they'll let you try a decent mid-to-high gain tube amp and then see if you can do them. If you can then you need a new amp.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Well, i'm getting a peavey vypyr 30w later this month...
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300