Well I'm pretty annoyed at the moment. I read Roc8995's tube sticky, and I figured I'd take a look in my Classic 50 to see what the tubes were. It's a 1994 model that I got used last March and it's served me very well, but lately I'm wondering if I can improve my tone.

So I open up the back (which was quite the operation, these tubes are well-protected!) and find none other than the stock tubes. Unbranded made-in-China 12AX7s and none other than Sovtek EL84s. Not only are the tubes crap, but they haven't been changed in 14 years!

Of course another letdown I had recently was discovering my Artcore's stock pickups are ceramic. I don't know if that's bad or not since it would make sense that the extra treble from the pickups would balance out the dark hollowbody sound.
/random tangent

Anyway, I'm one paycheck away from ordering a new Catalinbread V8, which is expensive enough. But should I get the tubes instead? I would probably order JJ El34s and Tung-Sol 12AX7s if I can get them.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
JJ el84's are 20 for a matched pair and tung-sol 12ax7's are 15 each so it wont add up to that much
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
^ Its possible but unlikly that they are the original tubes, many people/guitar stores could care less and put in what ever is the cheapest tube, or what ever they have laying around. Sovtecs are pretty popular tube for their cost and performance I would bet they have been swaped out. I did know that Peavey ever used China 12ax7 ussually they use Sovtecs
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
That's a relief. I'm pretty pressed for cash though and new tubes will still set me back.

Quote by Johnbryant
^ Its possible but unlikly that they are the original tubes, many people/guitar stores could care less and put in what ever is the cheapest tube, or what ever they have laying around. Sovtecs are pretty popular tube for their cost and performance I would bet they have been swaped out. I did know that Peavey ever used China 12ax7 ussually they use Sovtecs

Sovteks might be popular, but they haven't gotten good reviews. The sticky basically says to throw them away. Of course I won't take that for granted, but many other sites have described their tone and it's pretty close to what I hear.
And I googled Classic 50 stock tubes, and mine are at least the same brand as the stock tubes if not the actual ones. Still not an improvement.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Last edited by stradivari310 at Oct 4, 2008,
I didn't say they weren't poor sounding tube, I don't care for them at all, many people are uninformed and just put in what ever tube is the cheapest, or what ever their LGS has in stock. Also most guitar stores really rape people when it come to tubes as well, expect to pay double at most places, so limits some people as well.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6