Hello, I am after a little guitar related advice please...

I've been playing acoustic for about 4 years now and I'm frankly bored of it
So, I'm after a new electric kit.... I'll be a' needin':

I've so far been looking at the Epiphone Les Paul Studio's, as well as the Vintage V100's but have no real clue wether they are 'good' or not.

The sort of stuff I want to play is: Rage Against The Machine (I can do the morello style scratches - allready learnt that), Smashing Pumpkins (88-95, not the new stuff), Gun's n' Roses, My Bloody Valentine , Audioslave, Hell Is For Heroes etc etc.

I have a budget of about £300-£400 for my kit, so a bit, but not alot.

Any help would be very very welcome
    Last edited by Mankz. at Oct 4, 2008,
    If you're going to be playing my bloody valentine, the les paul studio won't work. You need something with a tremolo bar, preferably a Fender Jazzmaster or Jaguar, since those are the only guitars they ever used. Not sure how that'll fit into the budget though.
    for the cables, cleartone are amazingly good for the money. you can get a 10ft lead for under a tenner which is far better than any of my old cables (including planet waves, horizon etc. which were more like £20).

http://www.award-session.com/cleartone_cables.html 10 ft instrument cable is plenty if you're only playing at home.

i would seriously consider getting a roland microcube at £65 (or, if you can stretch the budget a little, a cube 30- the cube 15 and 20 aren't as nice as they don't have all the amp models) together with a washburn x50pro (£300 on gak)... that should keep you under budget, or be a little over if you go with the cube 30... you have enough money for a good guitar, so you might as well get one, especially considering that the roland cubes (as long as you avoid the cube 15 and 20, as i already said) are remarkably good for the money if you need a range of tones... the cube also has some effects built-in (not a wah-wah, but i'd skip that and buy one later to be honest, there's no point in having to make do with a much worse guitar and amp just so you can have a wah..)... vox valvetronix da5 or ad15vt might be worth considering for the amp, too...

that's what i'd do, anyway.
    I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
    Quote by K33nbl4d3
    I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
    Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
    Et tu, br00tz?
    I would still be happy if I couldn't properly play 'valentine, its mainly Rage I want to be playing.
    zup mankz. Don't believe that you're budget will do for all dose things, sry. But i think that u can get a fair Vintage Guitar for that price, espacially the V100, This guitar kicks most of the Epiphone guitars and I believe that u can get it for like £400.

Save up more money and buy a Peavey Bandit 112 amp.

Peace out
    Quote by Mankz.
    I would still be happy if I couldn't properly play 'valentine, its mainly Rage I want to be playing.

problem with rage is that some of it's humbuckers and some is single coils, which is difficult on the one guitar... the washburn has coil splits which imitate the sound of singles though... should be close enough for a beginner, anyway.
    I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
    Quote by K33nbl4d3
    I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
    Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
    Et tu, br00tz?
    yea i would say you could also fit at some point a coil tap as there are good quality pickups
    =========

Nathnialm

====
    washburn x50pro. jeez. why go with a beginner guitar when you can afford a good guitar? it's a false economy.
    Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
    Et tu, br00tz?
    That EM2 would actually be perfect. The active Epi pickups are fine for hard rock, which is Rage, but they can be turned passive and give a warm clean tone, and the Floyd Rose lets you do whatever you want. Although, my best suggestion since you're gonna have to buy a lot of stuff, would be to get a Kramer Striker Custom FR-424CM. You get a licensed Floyd, H/S/H Config. with Rail pickups. I bought one a while ago for a guitar I could throw around the house without worrying. Great value, and it can pump out the sound of just about any band you want.
    Quote by Dave_Mc
    washburn x50pro. jeez. why go with a beginner guitar when you can afford a good guitar? it's a false economy.

+ 1 zillion
    Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
    Epiphone Korina Explorer
    Line 6 Flextone III 75w
    Quote by Mankz.
    http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/77481

^^ what about something like that? Would I be able to pull of all the riffs with that sort of pick-up slector, or would it be easier with the V100?

i don't see why not, but i haven't tried it. my main concern with that one would be the poplar body, i haven't tried that many poplar guitars, but the couple i have tried i didn't think sounded all that good. though obviously if you try that one and like it, that's fair enough.

Quote by EclipseCT
    That EM2 would actually be perfect. The active Epi pickups are fine for hard rock, which is Rage, but they can be turned passive and give a warm clean tone, and the Floyd Rose lets you do whatever you want. Although, my best suggestion since you're gonna have to buy a lot of stuff, would be to get a Kramer Striker Custom FR-424CM. You get a licensed Floyd, H/S/H Config. with Rail pickups. I bought one a while ago for a guitar I could throw around the house without worrying. Great value, and it can pump out the sound of just about any band you want.

too hard to get over here, and not all that great IMO. by the time you pay expensive shipping from the USA, and customs (not to mention he's a beginner so he won't know how to set it up, i know my factory setup was atrocious), you'd have eroded any savings and be well within range of a better guitar...
    Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
    Et tu, br00tz?
    Thanks for all your help so far, but one last question on the EM2...

I notice that it doesn't have the same style 3position switch that the V100 does. Its the EM2's effectivly the same, but with a slide?

This is a rather important thing for me on the guitar, I need ze morello style-ee effects.
    i would guess it's the same except a slider, yeah.
    Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
    Et tu, br00tz?