Hey guys, here's the deal.

I've had my guitar for about a year now and my output jack has broken. I'm going to bring it over to Guitar Center in a couple days to get it fixed because I'd rather have a professional do it than me trying and end up doing more damage than good. I was wondering if I should get the guitar setup while i'm at it. What exactly does a "setup" mean? I've heard a lot of people doing this but I have no idea what they do it for. The only thing I know about it is getting the strings to a specific height, but i'm perfectly fine with the way mine are. Is there anything else to it? Any help as to what it is and if I should do it would be great. Thanks guys
Quote by Fire_At_Will555
Hey guys, here's the deal.

I've had my guitar for about a year now and my output jack has broken. I'm going to bring it over to Guitar Center in a couple days to get it fixed because I'd rather have a professional do it than me trying and end up doing more damage than good. I was wondering if I should get the guitar setup while i'm at it. What exactly does a "setup" mean? I've heard a lot of people doing this but I have no idea what they do it for. The only thing I know about it is getting the strings to a specific height, but i'm perfectly fine with the way mine are. Is there anything else to it? Any help as to what it is and if I should do it would be great. Thanks guys

ok for one if you got a small shop around take it there it will cost less usally
second a setup adjust your action and inotation so it will remove fret buzz and adjust your inotation (if you dont know im not 100% sure but i think if you guitar is in tune if you play a note it will be that note for example a tuned e string 5 fret you expect for a tuner to read it as an a) and they usally will change your strings
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
A setup means that they'll check the intonation, action, truss rod adjustment and things of that nature. If it's a particularly good setup they might even clean it for you.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by alternitivebass
ok for one if you got a small shop around take it there it will cost less usally
second a setup adjust your action and inotation so it will remove fret buzz and adjust your inotation (if you dont know im not 100% sure but i think if you guitar is in tune if you play a note it will be that note for example a tuned e string 5 fret you expect for a tuner to read it as an a) and they usally will change your strings

intonation is actually when a note lower down on the neck is in tune with a note higher up. ie, fret 3 and fret 15 on the same string are exactly the same note, and neither is sharp or flat.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
just a truss rod adj, maybe adj p.u height. Tell em what kind of music you play, what kind of string (ga.) you like...then just listen to what they have to say. you dont need it but I sugg you get your truss rod adj every so often to keep the right distance between fretboard and stings..Google or you tube truss rod adj.Learn to do it yourself SAVE $$$) ..Hope that is some help
I LULZ at guitar center... the ones by me are horrible. the people they have working there wouldn't know how to do a proper set up for their own gear. and should probably stop hiring drummers for the guitar section.

EDIT: and should stop trying to sell ALL my friends line 6 spider III's , i mean seriously i went with my friend that has a mesa dual recto and they were like... DUDE if you want some AMAZING tone u gotta step up to the SPIDER III
Last edited by rcmaster0072002 at Oct 4, 2008,