Hey guys, here's the deal.

I've had my guitar for about a year now and my output jack has broken. I'm going to bring it over to Guitar Center in a couple days to get it fixed because I'd rather have a professional do it than me trying and end up doing more damage than good. I was wondering if I should get the guitar setup while i'm at it. What exactly does a "setup" mean? I've heard a lot of people doing this but I have no idea what they do it for. The only thing I know about it is getting the strings to a specific height, but i'm perfectly fine with the way mine are. Is there anything else to it? Any help as to what it is and if I should do it would be great. Thanks guys
^^^

If you have a good tech, a set up is a really good idea, makes the guitar play a zillion times better.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by R.D
^^^

If you have a good tech, a set up is a really good idea, makes the guitar play a zillion times better.

yea, theres a real good guy at my local shop and he sets mine up, it makes a world of difference.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
hehe, my personal preferences account for a lot, intonation is about spot on. Action is a little low, gets a little fret buzz. Some tech's would gripe endlessly about this, but to me, it's just easier, as long as it doesn't affect sustain or sounds from the amp. .. I'm only mentioning this because sometimes people would set it up correctly, but it may not be to your liking. Preference is about 1/5th of a setup, so if you can, get them to set it up and continually test it.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris