Just to make sure I don't develop any bad habits, generally if I want to tune my acoustic to an open tuning, I just decide what I want it to be and tune the strings to either the I,III, or IV of the major scale. Am I correct in assuming thats the way to go about it?
Um, now that I feel decimated and utterly stupid;

can you elaborate as to why there is no III in the major scale?
Quote by TheGallowsPole
Um, now that I feel decimated and utterly stupid;

can you elaborate as to why there is no III in the major scale?

Because the chord built off of E is a minor chord.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
The chords of the C major scale are C Dm Em F G Am Bdim. The third chord is minor and minor chords are represented with lowercase Roman Numerals, while major chords are capital; iii is the third chord in the major scale.

When you encounter diminished and augmented chords, you treat them as minor and major chords, capitalization-wise. Don't worry if you don't get the preceeding sentence yet.
^Eh? I don't get it.

Quote by Archeo Avis
Because the chord built off of E is a minor chord.
Only C has a major scale now, Arch?

Though the TS got what you meant, so...
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Eh? I don't get it.

Only C has a major scale now, Arch?

Though the TS got what you meant, so...

Goddammit.
For some reason I tend to default towards C major.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
So do I. However, Arch just got lucky this time; you understood what he meant. For most people that wouldn't be the case, so Arch (and all of us) has to remember not to do something like that.