It was a 30 minute session. I played a bunch of stuff I knew cuz the guy wanted to feel my style out.

So my homework for tonight (lulz) is to practice the a minor and c major scales we worked on today. When I said I didn't know any scales after 5 months of playing it was like blasphemy to him lol.

We;re gonna work on Pull Harder On The STrings of YOur Martyr and Crazy Train (I figured I should work on this since EVERYBODY knows it) next week.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
Amin = Cmaj
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
Quote by Jango22
Amin = Cmaj

I think somewhere along the lesson he told me something like that lol. If you are saying they are the EXACT same thing, than maybe I'm saying it wrong but he wrote down "A minor standard tuning" and then the tabs for that and then "C major" and then tabs for that.

they're both different but VERY similiar patterns if that's what you're saying.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by Big_Rat
Well i havent learned (m)any scales and i've been playing 2 years

That's just sad.
" When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Big_Rat
Well i havent learned (m)any scales and i've been playing 2 years

Thats probably why you suck as bad as I do
I didnt learn any scales until recently, and i've been playing for THREE years. Though, I hadnt been serious during the first two years or so.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
Quote by TheBodomBullet
I think somewhere along the lesson he told me something like that lol. If you are saying they are the EXACT same thing, than maybe I'm saying it wrong but he wrote down "A minor standard tuning" and then the tabs for that and then "C major" and then tabs for that.

they're both different but VERY similiar patterns if that's what you're saying.

The patterns are different. A major scale pattern is WWHWWWH. A minor scale pattern is WHWWHWW. (W=whole step, H=half step).
" When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix
nope theyre identical...just different root note, and each note in the scale has different relation to the root...but they are the same
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Quote by nemjeff13
nope theyre identical...just different root note, and each note in the scale has different relation to the root...but they are the same

That's seriously the dumbest thing I've ever read on this site. You can't look at a major scale and a minor scale and say they look the same, any musician will slap you for that. Each major scale and its relative minor scale will have the same notes but their pattern is different. If you want to go more into it, look up Scale Sequences/Patterns and Modes.
Last edited by Warheart1188 at Oct 4, 2008,
Quote by nemjeff13

Man you're dumb. The relative minor of the major scale (in this case A min is the relative of C Maj), starts a third below the root of of the major scale. If it is a harmonic minor scale, the 7th is raised a semitone, and if it's a melodic minor scale the 6th and 7th are both raised a semitone on the way up, but not on the way down.

The moral of the story is, don't start telling people theory if you have no idea what you're talking about.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Quote by nemjeff13

The guys who are gettin mad at this guy don't know exactly what he's saying. The notes (key signature) are exactly the same in both scales, they just start on a different root note. Because of this, E will be the major 3rd of C Major, while that same E will be the perfect 5th of A minor.

At least I think that's what he's saying. If that is the case, then he's right.
Bugger me I know very little musical theory and I know more than a few people in this thread.

If you play the C major scale from the 6th (A), it is essentially A minor. It's just like D Dorian is the C major scale shape played with a root note D instead of C. It was mentioned that A minor is the relative minor for C major.

I do agree the initial wording may be a bit vague, but it is pretty easy to see what he was getting at.

'The moral of the story is, don't start telling people theory if you have no idea what you're talking about.' (not taking a poke at you camrock)

But Camrock is also right. There is more than one minor scale. Harmonic minor is great, and definitely doesn't apply here.
Last edited by ljohn at Oct 5, 2008,
They're not "the same"

They use the same notes, but that's it. They each have a different pattern of intervals and they each "exist" in different circumstances, having different tonal centres. Yes, there's a relatonship between the two, but they're far from the same and the differences go a lot deeper than "the note you start on".

I personally would question the wisdom of having someone practice both of them when first introducing them to scales as it just leads to exactly this kind of confusion...Mr Bodombullet's teacher has a fair way to go to convince me he knows what he's doing.

TS, you'd be well advised to read Josh Urban's Crusade articles to get the proper lowdown on basic theory. Basically, if any of that contradicts what your teacher is telling you then your teacher is wrong
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
e|-----------------------578----------------------------------------|
B|------------------568---------------------------------------------|
G|---------------57--------------------------------------------------|
D|----------579-----------------------------------------------------|
A|-----578----------------------------------------------------------|
E|578---------------------------------------------------------------|

That's what he wrote down for A minor standard tuning

e|------------------------------------7 8-------------------------------|
B|------------------------------8 10-----------------------------------|
G|----------------------7 9 10-----------------------------------------|
D|--------------7 9 10-------------------------------------------------|
A|------7 8 10---------------------------------------------------------|
E|8 10 -----------------------------------------------------------------|

That's what he wrote down for c major

I g2 practice that ascending and descending.

Btw links to said article?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?s=crusade&w=columns

...start with the first one and go up to number 4 I'd say, should be plenty for the time being. It'll take a while to absorb all the information that's in them, I'd say expect it to take around a month to start sinking in.

I wouldn't teach any scale patterns myself without first going through the basics of what a scale actually is. Having said that there's an alarming number of guitar teachers out there who are shit-hot technically but don't actually understand much theory, and sometimes what they do know they haven't learned properly.

Technically he's got you practicing is the exact same thing in 2 different places. Both those patterns are part of the C major scale across the whole fretboard, they're also both A minor - it all depends on the context.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Oct 5, 2008,
The C major pattern he gave you isn't very good. That was the first major pattern I learned and it's pretty impractical. This one is better.

e - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 10 12 13 - 
B - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 10 12 13 - - - - 
G - - - - - - - - - - - - - 9 10 12 - - - - - - - - 
D - - - - - - - - - 9 10 12 - - - - - - - - - - - - 
A - - - - - 8 10 12 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
E - 8 10 12 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
The C major pattern he gave you isn't very good. That was the first major pattern I learned and it's pretty impractical. This one is better.

e - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 10 12 13 -
B - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 10 12 13 - - - -
G - - - - - - - - - - - - - 9 10 12 - - - - - - - -
D - - - - - - - - - 9 10 12 - - - - - - - - - - - -
A - - - - - 8 10 12 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
E - 8 10 12 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

How so?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Learn both. And more.

It is a wider interval from root C on the 8th fret to a high F on the 13th, it covers more notes in total, so it is more versatile in a song situation, if that makes any sense. Gives you more options.

You'd be better off learning both, and another, and another, so you know where they are and can join them so you basically know where the right notes are on the board when playing, and oyu aren't confined to a single section of the fretboard.
Quote by madshatter
this thread turned into a flame thread so fast. hahaha, kind of funny XD

I stand as an innocent bystander...
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet
How so?

Like I said, it's impractical. You won't be able to do as many licks, and if you want to play it fast it will be very inconvenient because of the unequal amount of notes per string.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by TheBodomBullet
I stand as an innocent bystander...

Hmm... has your teacher given you all 5 shapes of the major scale? ( I 've forgotten what specific type of minor it's called XD)
Quote by nido
how much does he charge per session? just curious

I am not sure about TS, but mine charges $30 per 1/2 hour.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
I've been playing for about 6 years and I can't remember any of the theory taught to me in my lessons. I know where to place my fingers for different scales, but I have no idea what scale I'm playing

Very sad... this I know
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by nido
how much does he charge per session? just curious

I g2 pay monthly.

I think it's like 200$ a month but don't hold me to that I might be wrong.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon: