Hey guys. Im not sure if this is in the right section or not, but I picked up a Ibanez RG series electric guitar here few months ago and have learned a few things on it, but not much, as the learning is slow for me with a guitar. So a buddy of mine recommended getting a bass to start out learning on, as im only using 1 string at a time for the most part (using notes instead of chords). So I just picked up one of these for 115.00 shipped that needs strings. What is the common consensus on this bass? Is it a decent bass??? Should I have spent my money on a different one in the same range?? Any comments/help is appreciated. Im sure Ill have to set the action on it to where I like, but I can do that myself, as I taught myself on the ibanez and have it down.

http://ibanez.com/bass/guitar.aspx?m=GSR200FM
I knew I would get the "bass is not easier then guitar" line, and I should have mentioned that I wasnt trying to cast that out there. I tooled around on a buddys bass the other day and it felt natural to me. It was much easier for ME to play then my guitar. Just because of the single note and the string spacing. I will keep both, but im confident the bass will be easier for me to learn, then I will start back up on the guitar.
Ibanez basses are great starter basses. They are amazingly good value for the money. Your call on purchasing the bass was a good one.

I know how to play both bass and guitar. From my experience, bass may seem easier to play but in the long run is a harder instrument to play well. While the mechanizcs of playing may seem more straightforward to you right now, you need to encorporate much more of a sense of timing, melodic structure and overall theory than guitar. A good bass player can make a so-so guitarist sound wonderful; the opposite is rarely, if ever true.
anarkee, I do agree on the good bass player making so so guitar player sound wonderful, and not the other way around. Ill learn them both in time, just think the bass will be easier for me to grasp right out of the gate. Glad I got the bass then, I have been watching bass's for quite awhile now, and just got the money to purchase one.
Just remember to get a bass amp so you don't damage the guitar amp and you are set to go.

I won't bother reiterating what anarkee has said, but bass is far harder to make sound great, than guitar. A power chord riff can sound great on a guitar. A root note riff, even if it is for the same progression as the guitar riff, usually sounds boring.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
It's good that you recognize that early on. Now, on the subject of you ibanez. the thing about GSR basses is calling them "a decent starting bass" is an understatement. they are in of THE BEST starter basses. Ibanez's in general are hard to beat in bang for your buck. So, yes, you made the right choice
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
sweet. Everyone here is a tough crowd eh? Geez. LOL Im not harping on the bass players one bit, nor saying guitar is superior in any way. But its good I got something decent. I love the ibanez guitar I have already, as it feels great, isnt too heavy and plays awesome. Has good sustain, etc... Hope this beast treats me the same!! Im looking at a few bass amps right now and will definatelly snag one of them up.
That actually is the same exact model I have(Transparent Blue), and I love it. Like everyone said, great choice. On bass amps, just general thought around here, don't buy behringer. The price may look good but it's a bad brand of amps. If you just want a "bedroom" practice amp check the FAQ's.
Quote by kugelspot
It's good that you recognize that early on. Now, on the subject of you ibanez. the thing about GSR basses is calling them "a decent starting bass" is an understatement. they are in of THE BEST starter basses. Ibanez's in general are hard to beat in bang for your buck. So, yes, you made the right choice

they really are. and you chose the best with flame maple. so it's even cooler.

but, make sure you can keys and theory down- it's even more important for a bassist.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by RodneyPierce
sweet. Everyone here is a tough crowd eh? Geez. LOL Im not harping on the bass players one bit, nor saying guitar is superior in any way. But its good I got something decent. I love the ibanez guitar I have already, as it feels great, isnt too heavy and plays awesome. Has good sustain, etc... Hope this beast treats me the same!! Im looking at a few bass amps right now and will definatelly snag one of them up.

Yeah you know, it's always said that Ibanez basses are one of the best values out there (with which I agree, Ibanez is my favorite brand of basses)... but really, Ibanez guitars tend to be quite good too.

As for amps, I have two entry suggestions:
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/SWR-LA12-Bass-Combo-Amplifier?sku=482037
and
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B20-1X12-Bass-Combo-Amplifier?sku=481622

The SWR is a lot more... but it sounds sexy as whatnot. It seriously sounds like a lower end SWR. The Acoustic is a balling deal though, and still sounds nice. Either way, I would suggest getting a 12" for your practice amp. I mean, I'm a 15" kinda guy myself, but well... I think 1x12 is the best thing to start out on.

EDIT: Although, if you can win it for a good price, this would be amazing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/SWR-Workingmans-12-Combo-120-Watt-4-Ohms-Great-AMP_W0QQitemZ300263281281QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item300263281281&_trkparms=72%3A1163|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

DOPPELEDIT: Aha, same amp with a buy-now option!
http://cgi.ebay.com/SWR-WORKINGMANS-12-BASS-AMP_W0QQitemZ120312904736QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item120312904736&_trkparms=72%3A1163|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Last edited by WhyLater at Oct 4, 2008,
woah man, im not looking for anything that big. I just need a small practice amp. I dont plan on joining a band or anything just something to tool around on.
well, that 20 watt Acoustic would be a good one to get. so would their AB50, 50 watts for much cheaper than most other companies. avoid Behringer though, they are terrible. so is Line 6.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Really, you dont like Line 6 either eh? My guitar amp is a line 6 and I love it. All my buddys play with Line 6 half stacks and heads and they also love them. For the money they cant be beat IMHO. But its still more them im willing to spend on a amp just to play around with.
well... do you have a price range?

and in my opinion, Line 6 is not terrible for guitar, but just utterly fake sounding with bass. especially those effects. ugh.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

i have a few im looking at on ebay in the 100-150 range. I dont want to spend more then that. And I dont mind buying a used amp either if its in good shape. Sorry, im broke and dont have a ton of money to spend on this. The wife wants me to continue work on the house we just bought, puts a bind on my "fun funds".
Quote by the humanity
well... do you have a price range?

and in my opinion, Line 6 is not terrible for guitar, but just utterly fake sounding with bass. especially those effects. ugh.

It's not so much the effects, but how bland the clean tone is. No effect can make that sound genuinely decent. I played an Ash Corvette through one, and got no growl at all, and it sounded slightly muddy with an incredibly bright bass.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by RodneyPierce
i have a few im looking at on ebay in the 100-150 range. I dont want to spend more then that. And I dont mind buying a used amp either if its in good shape. Sorry, im broke and dont have a ton of money to spend on this. The wife wants me to continue work on the house we just bought, puts a bind on my "fun funds".

This is the amp I currently have, it's 15 watts 100 dollars (USD), so IMO its great for a little practice amp.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-MAX-158-Bass-Practice-Combo-104003454-i1145640.gc
ashdown perfect ten
cracking little practise amp for £100, if you cant afford it then the after eight is even cheaper.
and line 6 are good for a little practise amp, but i wouldnt use it for anything other than that. it would have to be something a bit more lively with some real effects, the line 6 ones just dont cut it imo
-Gear-
Ibanez SR-500
Epiphone EJ-200
PRS SE EG (SSH version)
Ashdown Perfect Ten 30w
Ashdown ABM500 Evo II

Based in Birmingham, available for any bass work.
MSN or email narcolepsy_patrol@hotmail.co.uk
^A side question here to James Gadd. Do you have a perfect ten? I need a smaller amp for practice with an acoustic player that is highly portable. I was looking at a used perfect ten, but then I heard that they suffer a bit from hiss issues.
I never like the practise range of ashdown amps i like the mags and abm's but the lack of eq and other issues i hated. Look for something else anarkee.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by anarkee
^A side question here to James Gadd. Do you have a perfect ten? I need a smaller amp for practice with an acoustic player that is highly portable. I was looking at a used perfect ten, but then I heard that they suffer a bit from hiss issues.

The perfect ten is rather on the heavy side, if you're gonna be shifting it around a bit maybe look into the After Eight. I've got it, been playing through it for 3 and a half years and although the treble gives hissing if it's turned up, it's been brilliant. No complaints.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Quote by RodneyPierce

When I linked you those amps, the bids were like $70 and the buy now was a little over $200 I think...

I think my suggestions were good.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by Jonn0
The perfect ten is rather on the heavy side, if you're gonna be shifting it around a bit maybe look into the After Eight. I've got it, been playing through it for 3 and a half years and although the treble gives hissing if it's turned up, it's been brilliant. No complaints.

Thanks--I'll check them out. I have a heavy GK backline combo. I don't mind moving heavy amps, but the studio is in a downtown area where there is never nearby parking and its just a pain to schlep the thing back and forth 2x week several blocks from the car. Plus I never push it beyond 1 on the volume when I'm playing with the group (a drummer with brushes and an acoustic guitarst).
Quote by WhyLater
When I linked you those amps, the bids were like $70 and the buy now was a little over $200 I think...

I think my suggestions were good.

naw man, I appreciate the suggestions forsure man! Ill keep me eye on few, and also run to the GC and check out what they have there.