If I Could Play 15 Songs, I could get a new guitar

Could you recommend some?

I like,
Nirvana
Foo Fighters
Red hot chili peppers

Mostly Grunge/Alternative

ps. I already know the intro's to like
Scar Tissue, About a Girl, Otherside, Sweet Home Alabama, Smoke on the Water, enter sandman. and alot more
You could probably learn 15 nirvana songs in 30mins
Quote by John Petrucci
When it comes to practicing, I would spend about 63 hours a day
if you just want to get this over with as quickly as possible heres what you learn

Brain stew-greenday
Hitchin a ride-greenday
fell in love with a girl-the white stripes
seven nation army-the white stripes
the effect and the cause-the white stripes
10 am automatic-the black keys
strange times-the black keys
in bloom-nirvana
vasoline-stone temple pilots
all the small things-blink 182
free fallin'-Tom petty and the heartbreakers
pork and beans-weezer
Horse with no name-america
like a stone-audioslave
blizstriek bop-the ramones

Theres a list of 15 songs that you could learn very quickly
Last edited by frostfire100 at Oct 5, 2008,
Why not work the system a little. They said you need to play 15 songs, but did they say they had to be difficult songs?

1. Happy Birthday
2. Jingle Bells
3. Mary Had a Little Lamb
4. My Country Tis of Thee
5. Twinkle Twinkle Little Star

there ya go =) 5 songs and yoru 1/3rd of the way to a new guitar.
1. Pokemon theme song

2. Digimon Theme song

3.power rangers theme song.

Those three shouldn't give you a problem at all.
Quote by Jaksar
Why not work the system a little. They said you need to play 15 songs, but did they say they had to be difficult songs?
Agreed. You can learn and perfect more difficult music later, but get your guitar!
hell, even do Chris Brown's "With You" - 3 chords needed
Forever feels retarded in MT forum

-Equipment-
Squier Champ 15
Squier Bullet Stratocaster
-Shopping list-
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
1 guitar cable for that pedal
You're learning for the wrong reasons. Your parents made a generous deal with you, but they want you to get somthing out of it (besides a new guitar).

Learn songs you genuinely like and put an honest effort into them. Don't just slop your way through Green Day and say "that's it". Aside, you haven't said how long you've been playing, but I'm betting it'll be a year or two before a new guitar will even make a difference in your playing. Learn chords and fundamental techniques like hammer-ons, pull-offs, and slides. Learn to do them accurately. It'll make it far easier on you in the future and 15 songs will seem like nothing.

I hope you actually do that, but it's your decision. Feel free to slop around a bunch of easy songs, it'll be less competition for me
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by Garou1911
You're learning for the wrong reasons. Your parents made a generous deal with you, but they want you to get somthing out of it (besides a new guitar).

Learn songs you genuinely like and put an honest effort into them. Don't just slop your way through Green Day and say "that's it". Aside, you haven't said how long you've been playing, but I'm betting it'll be a year or two before a new guitar will even make a difference in your playing. Learn chords and fundamental techniques like hammer-ons, pull-offs, and slides. Learn to do them accurately. It'll make it far easier on you in the future and 15 songs will seem like nothing.

I hope you actually do that, but it's your decision. Feel free to slop around a bunch of easy songs, it'll be less competition for me

I'm Not Playing JUST so i can get a new guitar. if thats what your getting at.

I want to learn. Ive Been Playing for 4 Months, I Know Most of the chords, Hammer offs and Pull Offs.

My Guitar is a piece of shit, and I want the songs to sound actually halfway decent.
Quote by -Frusciante-
I'm Not Playing JUST so i can get a new guitar. if thats what your getting at.

I want to learn. Ive Been Playing for 4 Months, I Know Most of the chords, Hammer offs and Pull Offs.

My Guitar is a piece of shit, and I want the songs to sound actually halfway decent.

For one, you don't know "most of the chords". There are a lot of chords. A LOT. In 4 months maybe you know a few open chords, a couple barre fingerings, and maybe a diminished/dominate 9th/augmented chord, but you don't know most of ANYTHING in 4 months. Even hammers/pulls. You may be able to do the technique, but I doubt it's even remotely accurate or clean, and even if it is, can you apply it?

For two, you haven't even been playing long enough to develop a playing style, let alone long enough to know what you want in a new guitar. There are a ton of different guitars for a reason, each has it's own nuances and build types. A Les Paul has a heavier and less contoured body then a Fender, a Scheter will generally have a thicker neck stock then an Ibanez, etc. You're lining yourself up to end up with somthing you hate and can't swap out later.

I'm not trying to flame or be hard on you, but if you want my advice (and you can take it or leave it), spend some real time learning 15 songs. And not that "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" B.S., but 15 songs you really like. Beginning to end, solos and all, in your sleep, LEARN them. Plan to have a year under your belt before you start guitar shopping. You'll thank yourself later and respect yourself and your own playing more for it.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Last edited by Garou1911 at Oct 5, 2008,
Well dude you are right about not knowing nothing at 4 months. But hey, I was dedicated, and after 5 months from buying my first guitar, my parents surprised me with a schecter hellraiser c-1 out of freaking NO where.

It happens to everyone, we eventually can't learn a technique on the guitar we have.

Also. I've found that getting a new piece of GOOD equipment helps keep things fresh and new, and also adds a feeling inspiration to keep going forward.
like garou911 said

slow down dude, you are still a beginner, your first guitar SHOULD be crappy, wait a couple more months (its been a year for me and im still playing my first guitar), learn easy songs (by easy i dont mean EASY, i mean easy for you, since you are only a beginner.

And dont rush, there are many things to consider in a guitar, humbuckers, strat or LP or even Flying V, it looks like you're into rock so probably a strat or LP is good.

what do you have? an acoustic or electric? learn songs from bands such as Nirvana, Green day or Blink 182, rock and punk are probably the easist.

if you want a challenge try sweet child o mine, see if you can do the solo or not, if you cant thats OK, just skip it.
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
I rekon you could do 15 Ramones songs with exactly the same chord progresson
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Garou1911
For one, you don't know "most of the chords". There are a lot of chords. A LOT. In 4 months maybe you know a few open chords, a couple barre fingerings, and maybe a diminished/dominate 9th/augmented chord, but you don't know most of ANYTHING in 4 months. Even hammers/pulls. You may be able to do the technique, but I doubt it's even remotely accurate or clean, and even if it is, can you apply it?

For two, you haven't even been playing long enough to develop a playing style, let alone long enough to know what you want in a new guitar. There are a ton of different guitars for a reason, each has it's own nuances and build types. A Les Paul has a heavier and less contoured body then a Fender, a Scheter will generally have a thicker neck stock then an Ibanez, etc. You're lining yourself up to end up with somthing you hate and can't swap out later.

I'm not trying to flame or be hard on you, but if you want my advice (and you can take it or leave it), spend some real time learning 15 songs. And not that "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" B.S., but 15 songs you really like. Beginning to end, solos and all, in your sleep, LEARN them. Plan to have a year under your belt before you start guitar shopping. You'll thank yourself later and respect yourself and your own playing more for it.

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but It's not like im going to have the next guitar i'll get forever.

and you're sort've acting like your the all knowing super master awesome guitar player, and have to downpour when people say they want a new guitar.

all im saying is.

Back off a tad.

I like your help, your just acting like you know everything about me.
ie. how many chords i know.
Pick some songs off RHCP: Greatest Hits, American Idiot by Green Day, Blink-182 Greatest Hits, maybe All The Right Reasons by Nickelback, and learn them thoroughly. Some of the RHCP ones may be a little more challenging for you, but the rest are pretty simple, shouldn't take you long to learn them... but don't rush through them and play sloppy, learning them thoroughly and properly won't take much longer.
Quote by -Frusciante-
I don't mean to sound like a dick, but It's not like im going to have the next guitar i'll get forever.

and you're sort've acting like your the all knowing super master awesome guitar player, and have to downpour when people say they want a new guitar.

all im saying is.

Back off a tad.

Other than sounding a bit retarded with that post, he just suggested a more productive method to you...and he even said he's not trying to flame you....

He doesn't know how many chords you know, but he does know that there are almost an infinite amount of chords, and you probably won't know or understand most of them in 4 months.

Do whatever you want, but getting a new guitar won't help your guitar playing or make it sound better...look at it this way, you aren't playing it well on your old guitar, you won't play it any better on the new guitar.
Quote by StewieGriffin93
Other than sounding a bit retarded with that post, he just suggested a more productive method to you...and he even said he's not trying to flame you....

He doesn't know how many chords you know, but he does know that there are almost an infinite amount of chords, and you probably won't know or understand most of them in 4 months.

Do whatever you want, but getting a new guitar won't help your guitar playing or make it sound better...look at it this way, you aren't playing it well on your old guitar, you won't play it any better on the new guitar.

there are not an infinite number of chords.. not even close.
Tiananmen Square Dance
Last edited by CraZzZy Diamond at Oct 6, 2008,
Quote by CraZzZy Diamond
there are not an infinite number of chords.. not even close.

Oh yes there is.
Think of all the voicings and all the chords you can't actually play, because your hand doesn't have 6-8 fingers.
Oh no there isn't.

There are only so many combinations of notes on a fretboard. There might be 9999999999, but that's still not infinite.
Quote by -Frusciante-
I Made a deal with my parents.
It was

If I Could Play 15 Songs, I could get a new guitar

Could you recommend some?

I like,
Nirvana
Foo Fighters
Red hot chili peppers

Mostly Grunge/Alternative

ps. I already know the intro's to like
Scar Tissue, About a Girl, Otherside, Sweet Home Alabama, Smoke on the Water, enter sandman. and alot more

Judging by your name, and from what you've written you really dig the chili peppers.
Well here is your answer learn a whole album, Californication, Stadium Arcadium, By The Way, Blood Sugar Sex Magik.

1. Californication
2. By The Way
3. Otherside
4. Snow *test your hammer on's*
5. Desecration Smile
6. Dani California
7. Wet Sand
8. Turn it Again
9. Ready Made
10. Can't Stop
11. Parallel Universe
12. Purple Stain
13. Easily
14. Funky Monks
15. Under The Bridge

15 songs there, that will ultimately improve your playing, and atleast give you something to be proud of and show, if you perfect them.
Quote by nbmack
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=846398

and don't rush to finish a song just to get a new guitar. Learn it, understand it, and play it to backing tracks. Your playing will be sloppy if you rush, and sloppy playing is BAD.

This is very true, If you are looking to learn fast just pick some easy songs but dont rush them, Maybe try some stuff from the Beatles.
Olipticle is reforming into something greater then ever! Come check our sites and leave any comments you want!

www.myspace.com/olipticle
http://
Quote by -Frusciante-

all im saying is.

Back off a tad.

I'm certainly not "the all knowing super master awesome guitar player". And of course, I don't know exactly how many chords you know. However, I have been playing for a while now and I'm telling you that you'd be better served both in your playing and in the choice of guitar you make if you take it slow. I also know there's a pretty drastic limit in what you can learn in 4 months. You're barely a pup when it comes to playing.

But w/e. Like I said, I'm just offering my advice. Take it or leave it.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H