I like to play different tuning Drop D to Drop B by going to C STD and Drop C.
When I change tuning (example going from Drop D to Drop B) I can see that if im doing :

Drop B
E------------------------------
B------------------------------
G------------------------------
D---3--------------------------
A---3--------------------------
E---3--------------------------

Drop D
E------------------------------
B------------------------------
G------------------------------
D--0---------------------------
A--0---------------------------
E--0---------------------------

Which is the same note at the same octave with the same guitar. And for me it sounds the same but kinda darker. I dont think im tone deaf or idiot but it just sounds the same but with a darker tone. Especialy when its from a big tuning diffrence (like from Drop D to Drop B)

So I was wondering if a tuning can change the tone?
Yeah it can. The lower I tune, the more flabby my sound gets. I compensate with added gain and volume.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
I compensate with added gain and volume.

The satisfying response from a true guitar player

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
The satisfying response from a true guitar player

Really. I thought the good way of compensating for a crap sound was to play better. Man I've been going about this deal compeletely wron...

Wait... you like sum41. Nevermind.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
yes it does change tone, since the strings are looser, they will be able to vibrate more freely producing more bass and lower mids, where if you increase tension, the bass decreases and the treble increases.
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
Really. I thought the good way of compensating for a crap sound was to play better. Man I've been going about this deal compeletely wron...

Wait... you like sum41. Nevermind.

what a ****ing dick...you must be an AMAZING player then to get a good sound out of that amp youe using

sorry to everyone if anyone got offended by my comment....i dont like dicks
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
Quote by goatsrock117
i agree, and the higher up on the strings you play, the more different it sounds depending on guitar, amp, etc.

DUDE, you stole my avatar. not cool bud

and to TS, yes it does change tone
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by Otsugua713
what a ****ing dick...you must be an AMAZING player then to get a good sound out of that amp youe using

sorry to everyone if anyone got offended by my comment....i dont like dicks

Yes I am. Thank you. Now bathe in the light of my glory. Oh, remember the ultimate logic:

If someone is being a dick. Be a dick in return.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by Mark G
Yeah it can. The lower I tune, the more flabby my sound gets. I compensate with added gain and volume.

naturally, because the lower you tune the more flabby your strings get
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com

If you cant play good, drop the tuning and crank the volume!

It must be tough playing with more than one finger!

And to think I've wasted so much time using all four fingers
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
Yes I am. Thank you. Now bathe in the light of my glory. Oh, remember the ultimate logic:

If someone is being a dick. Report them

Fixed

Also, on topic: Tuning in general effects tone. It deals with string tension, and also, a note played on an open string has a certain pop that a fretted note doesn't.
Quote by mcbc

If you cant play good, drop the tuning and crank the volume!

It must be tough playing with more than one finger!

And to think I've wasted so much time using all four fingers

Hahahaha, anyone want to take this one?
gear:
-Ibanez ART 120 (w/EMG 81/85)
-Ibanez RG 1570
-Peavey 6505
-Tube-Town TTC 212V
-ISP Decimator G-String
-Maxon OD-9
-T-rex Fuel tank Junior

Coming soon:
-BBE Sonic Maximizer
-EQ
try playing the same note on the open high E string or the 19th fret of the A string

same note

completely different sound

the harmonics in the string are in different places and it vibrates through the body differently and its picked up by the pickup differently

this is the reason why playing around the 12th fret when using the neck pickup gives that smooth round tone, its getting the sound from the very center of where the string is vibrating so it emphasise the fundamental the most without too many harmonics
Wow, so much hate I really don't need sarcasm and insults when you don't agree with me. When I said increase the gain or volume I wasn't go for MOAR BROOTALS or whatever retarded memes some people here use. When you down tune without getting heavier strings I find that the sound isn't as tight and articulate. By turning up the gain and volume you can push your tubes a bit harder to compensate.

/end rant
WTLTL 2011