I was wondering which rig type would have the best tone, and clarity. I play mostly metal, but also some shred. Some bands I play like are mainly Lamb of God, Megadeth, Testament, Machine Head, Steve Vai, etc. What I'll do is get the main portion of the rig(obviously the amp/poweramp/cab), then save for the effect, since I have a RP500.
If you know of a different product that is better, and around the same price, let me know.
Also, what is your opinion about the Rocktron Poweramp vs. the Tech 21 PE-400?
I hope I make sense.lol

Rack Rig:
Engl Preamp
Rocktron Velocity 100 Poweramp
TC G-Major or Rocktron Xpression Multi Effects
MIDI controller
Furman PL-8 II Power Cond.
Mesa 2x12
SKB case

Head/Effects:
Carvin V3
Matching Cab
Keep my RP 500
I believe your rack plans would be superior to the V3. When I tried the V3 I really wasn't impressed. It sounded similar to the B-52 AT 100.

I recommend you getting a Carvin power amp though. All tube 100watts. Probably better than Rocktron. It's going to cost a bit more but you can hold off on effects for a while. Take some time getting used to the rig first. It's like drumming, if you have a ton of money you still don't go out and buy 2-3 more cymbals, a new tom, or whatever effects; you buy it one at a time so you can work it into your playing.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I figured the rack would be more high-end, I just wanted to have a simpler setup thrown in as well.
Well, a rack is only going to be more complicated the very first time you get all the stuff and want to set it up. Outside of that it's going to be nearly identical to having a head/cab and effects unit.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio