If you don't know what a starcaster is, its basically a beginner guitar made buy fender looks like a stratocaster, is sold in stores like best buy, wal mart, and target. What I want to do is basically turn it into a fat strat, so I need to get a new pick guard with the hss setup since this one has sss, and I need to get humbucker. So does anyone know if this guitar has the cavity big enough to fit a humbucker. I took off the pickguard , and looked under it, but I couldn't get a good look since I left the strings on, although I think it does. But if you know just let me know to reassure me. Anyway, how hard would it be to remove the bridge pickup from the wiring and attatch a humbucker? Also what kind of humbucker would you reccommend for a nice heavy distorted tone, but can also give a good clean tone? I'm looking for something around the 50 dollar price range.
I'm sure that you're only doing this as a project and that this isn't gonna be your main guitar, but still $50 isn't gonna get you much at all. I suggest you save and get a guitar that is actually worth modding, like an agile.
I think most/all squier strats are routed for HSH configuration, but have pickguards that make them SSS or HSS. Try checking yours. It might turn out that all you need to do is change the pickguard style and buy a humbucker. Maybe a GFS pickup. They're cheap and good.
Thats exactly what I said I wanted to do is just swap the pickguard, and get a humbucker, but I wanted to know if it was too difficult to remove the sss wiring and attatch the humbucker, oh and it won't be my main guitar, it will just be like a jam guitar. I plan on getting a mexican strat and that will be my main guitar.
ur not gonna get much with $50, and a starcaster is not worth modding, just get a nicer guitar first($400 range), and then see what it's lacking, and mod it to make it a very nice guitar. like a mim strat. get a pickup swap probably, and see if u could use a new neck, or a some new tuners, maybe a new bridge, and u could add something like a killswitch or put in a coil tap or something. idk. but a starcaster is not worth modding.
Quote by backlash92
If you don't know what a starcaster is, its basically a beginner guitar made buy fender looks like a stratocaster, is sold in stores like best buy, wal mart, and target. What I want to do is basically turn it into a fat strat, so I need to get a new pick guard with the hss setup since this one has sss, and I need to get humbucker. So does anyone know if this guitar has the cavity big enough to fit a humbucker. I took off the pickguard , and looked under it, but I couldn't get a good look since I left the strings on, although I think it does. But if you know just let me know to reassure me. Anyway, how hard would it be to remove the bridge pickup from the wiring and attatch a humbucker? Also what kind of humbucker would you reccommend for a nice heavy distorted tone, but can also give a good clean tone? I'm looking for something around the 50 dollar price range.

Kudos on getting the Starcaster! I too have modded my Starcaster, and I can tell you that once its been upgraded, it is an amazing guitar. I can't believe people haven't caught on to how great their build quality is. My Starcaster is now my main axe. Here are some tips for you:

Yes, every Starcaster is routed for HSS, even the ones with single coils, so you're fine. Wiring pickups into your guitar isn't all that hard; I won't go into specifics because it'll depend on what brand of pickup you're putting in, but basically all you need is a soldering gun, solder, and some patience. If you've got that stuff then you can do it all in less than a day.

With your budget, I strongly recommend GFS pickups from guitarfetish.com. These pickups are dirt cheap and are amazing sounding.
Quote by Underjoggle
The hambucker is the revolutionary new pickup that removes unwanted ham from your output signal, and collects it on a croissant with melted cheese.

Quote by Eddie4President
Shoop unto others what you would have shooped unto you.
*-dude did the same exact thing with mine!!1
and the humbucker i put in was only 50 bucks, and its the best i have ever used, iki swear.
bill lawrence FTW!.
and its a good learming experience, so do it
Fender MIA Standard Strat
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Starcaster by Fender(modded with Bill Lawrence l-500-xl)
PEAVEY 6505+ (FJA transistor modd)
Peavey 65 watt transtube studio-112
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
Quote by stratdud39
ur not gonna get much with $50, and a starcaster is not worth modding, just get a nicer guitar first($400 range), and then see what it's lacking, and mod it to make it a very nice guitar. like a mim strat. get a pickup swap probably, and see if u could use a new neck, or a some new tuners, maybe a new bridge, and u could add something like a killswitch or put in a coil tap or something. idk. but a starcaster is not worth modding.

Whoah dude. Calm down. The only reason I want to mod my starcaster is so I will have a guitar with a metal tone and I think it will be fun to mod I'm getting a mexican strat and leaving it stock so I can keep that classic strat tone. Also I don't play too much metal to where its worth investing on a full metal guitar so I just want to mod this one.
Don't listen to stratdud. By the time you get all that new stuff like he said (neck, tuners, bridge, pickups), it would cost quite a bit. And honestly, you're better off doing that to the starcaster because the only difference would be the body which doesn't seem to bug you much.

I have one, and i dunno how yours looks, but mine has a sunburst finish. Also, it has 3 different gradients of sunburst. Repainting yours might be a good idea if you're already going to do a lot to it.

Also, i was not repeating what you said, just saying that most squiers have HSH configuration, and the starcasters might as well.
It's not the best guitar, and with $50 you can still scrounge up some upgrades. I'd say go for it. Like i said, check out GFS pickups from GuitarFetish.
A couple more questions, can I attatch a cover like one of those metal covers that some gibsons have, without having to make the humbuckers pickguard hole bigger, and on the tone knobs, do those have like screws behind them inside the pickguard, or how do I take those off? Oh and how good are these http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lace-?sku=305420
Last edited by backlash92 at Oct 5, 2008,
Look, um not for 50 bucks but, get a hot rodded pick up. Size of a single coil, sound of a humbucker. But if you dont want to do that, just cut a bit into your body. Or have someone who knows what they are doing do it. All in all, why the heck would you want to mod up a startcaster? Ive played them, OH MY GOODNESS!!!! My little squier plays 10 times better. But, if u insist, that is ur best bet. Hot rodded pick ups work well from what ive heard.
Quote by vanklef92
Look, um not for 50 bucks but, get a hot rodded pick up. Size of a single coil, sound of a humbucker. But if you dont want to do that, just cut a bit into your body. Or have someone who knows what they are doing do it. All in all, why the heck would you want to mod up a startcaster? Ive played them, OH MY GOODNESS!!!! My little squier plays 10 times better. But, if u insist, that is ur best bet. Hot rodded pick ups work well from what ive heard.

I'd rather go full Humbucker so that later I can upgrade to something like a Seymour Duncan or a DiAmarzio.
I've got a starcaster right now... and i love it. Goes out of tune too often, but it's the crappy tuners on it.

I WOULD mod mine, but i'm planning on selling it (to a friend for $100) after i get my Agile AL-2000.
O O

___
if you buy the right pedal or pedals, you wont need a humbucker install.

if you buy a pedal you can use it on any guitar without tools.

take your star to a gc and try out some pedals. you can get them cheeper on ebay.

with a live.com 30% off ebay BIN
Last edited by BR0THERALEX at Oct 14, 2008,
Seriously dude? This one is from OCTOBER!
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Hello.
I have two (soon three) of these starcasters with pointed heads. One is made in Indonesia and is a really nice guitar, even with stock pickups. No doubt that this is a true fender. For the price it is outstanding. I also have a Fender Highway 1 and I would say that the difference isnt all that big as the difference in price would suggest (yeah yeah, I know someone will get all upset now ).
The other one is made in china and appears to be a little cheaper in quality, more of an entry level Squier. Still a pretty nice guitar though. It appears older than the indonesian one. Maybe they improved the quality by moving production to Indonesia(??)

Anyhow, its definitly worth modding these little treasures. Ive tried some cheap Dragonfire pickups as well as GFS on other guitars and they sound really good for the price.

Best regards
Karl