I need help deciding between these two guitars. Epiphone G-400 SG and an Ibanez ART 100 Artist (or the 300, just different body work).

I like to play a lot of rock, and once in a while some acoustic (mostly Jack Johnson). Which one is best? I chose the Epiphone because it's a copy of the Gibson SG I hope to get eventually (in a nice dark red). The Ibanez I found is nice and the white looks good or the brown looks good on the ART300.

Ibanez: link (in white, or silver from somewhere else)
Epiphone: link (Bottom right color)
sg for sure over art100. its a really nice guitar. but you might have to get it setup, every one i play has terrible action past the 12th fret. once you do get it set up, its a dream though
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
There about the same guitar as far as I can tell, electronics excluded. I'd go with the Ibanez for these reasons, the art100 looks a tad bulkier adding to it's acoustic resonance, it's cheaper, The G-400, even though it's a decent guitar, it's pickups are a tad on the muddy side, while any Ibanez I've ever played high end or low end guitars, weather or not they produced quite the sound I wanted always rang clear as a bell.
Would the Epiphone have the same or maybe better sound for rock/metal (like RATM metal, not death metal) than the Ibanez? That's the most important thing.

edit: changed as the epiphone to than the ibanez.
Last edited by courtkid1012 at Oct 4, 2008,
Quote by courtkid1012
Would the Epiphone have the same or maybe better sound for rock/metal (like RATM metal, not death metal) as the epiphone? That's the most important thing.

You mean better than the ibanez? Honestly they're both really versatile. Paul Gilbert uses semi hollows sometimes. I think it's mostly up to which one you think feels better.
Quote by courtkid1012
Would the Epiphone have the same or maybe better sound for rock/metal (like RATM metal, not death metal) as the epiphone? That's the most important thing.

I think they would both excel at what you need them for. Again, I'm going to have to lean towards the Ibanez, just because in my experience you get more bang for your buck with Ibanez, but the G-400 would do well also, I would think.
From what I hear, the Ibanez is great for soloing and sounds great. I've been looking at that one for about two months though. I don't know much about the Epiphone. Like I said, the reason I like it so much is because it's a copy of the Gibson SG.