Alright, so in my band we're currently just me and my brother, looking for a drummer, and possibly a bassist...1 slight problem my brother is 19..turning 20 in like 2 months and I just turned 17 in may. I just got an email a little earlier from someone 16 that may be interested in joining the band....not much of an age difference to me, but my brother really would prefer no one younger than me joining the band...I guess it just feels weird for someone who is almost 20 to go over to some random 16 year olds place?....and maybe that's also gonna be atleast 1 more year extra before we can play alot of bar gigs? Anyways, kicking my brother out is not an option. Any suggestions on what to do?
good job scoring tips and the sandwich shop, hit on older women they tip huge!!!!

but as far as the age thing goes. Don't get the 16 year old. bad idea, because it'd be really annoying to ur bro who's prolly the best musial member of the band
hey im in the same situation as u r in but my friends and i started a band called DragonFire. i need a singer, and another guitar player, im lead guitar, sonic3014 is our bassist (to bad he doesn't know how) and turf82, he will b a 3rd guitar/pianist. we live in Greenfield,IN and we r in high school
You may as well give it a go, i recently formed a band with me (16) and my mates who are 16, 15, 20 and 22. It's early days, but things are going good so far.
Quote by captaincrunk

but as far as the age thing goes. Don't get the 16 year old. bad idea, because it'd be really annoying to ur bro who's prolly the best musial member of the band

+1
hey im in the same situation as u r in but my friends and i started a band called DragonFire. i need a singer, and another guitar player, im lead guitar, sonic3014 is our bassist (to bad he doesn't know how) and turf82, he will b a 3rd guitar/pianist. we live in Greenfield,IN and we r in high school
I think the above provides you with all the info you need.
Quote by HorizonShadow
Just eat the headstock.

That'll make you look mad.
age difference dont mean jack
my band is tight as
me and the guitarist are 16
and our drummer is 38
it works
Quote by Ed Hunter
Kick your brother in his penis adorned head.
Quote by captaincrunk
good job scoring tips and the sandwich shop, hit on older women they tip huge!!!!

uhhh....no...I write all of the music, and he writes like 60% of the lyrics...I write the other 40% obviously..
I was 15 and was in a band with an 19 year old. I've been in a band where me and the guitarist were 14, the other guitarist 19, our singers were 20 and our drummer about 40-50. We played some badass shows.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
What's his problem? There's only four years difference between him and the drummer, slightly less if he's not already 20.

I'm 42, do you think it makes much difference to me if a guy in my band is only 38?
Personaly it makes no difference to me if someone else in my band is 15 years old or 90 years old. All that really counts is their ability and personality.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
What's his problem? There's only four years difference between him and the drummer, slightly less if he's not already 20.

I'm 42, do you think it makes much difference to me if a guy in my band is only 38?
Personaly it makes no difference to me if someone else in my band is 15 years old or 90 years old. All that really counts is their ability and personality.

god slacker your making me look young!

I know a band with a prodigical 12 year old guitarist and a 23 year old drummer. Works fine for them.
Just go with it man.
Assuming he's committed, the only real potential problem I can see is the kid's parents. You might want to make sure they know how old your brother is and they're cool with it. And if your brother feels weird going to his house, then rent a jam space.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Good to see another old fart! 38 going on 16 here.
Quote by Swap-Meet
Ahh...well I just talked to my brother about it, and he said he just feels uncomfortable going to a 16 year olds house....but if we rent a place where we jam with him he's okay with it.

Yeah, it's when his parents ask him if his 'little friends' would like some 'cookies and milk' during the break that tends to embarrass everyone.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Oct 6, 2008,
a band called DragonFire. i need
lol that was an epic... what were you thinking buddy??
Quote by se012101
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Wanna put a band together?
as long as everybody can get along alright the age differnce shouldnt be an issue. Me and my drummer are both 19 and our guitarist is 42 and we get along great
Quote by se012101

Hey! Me too!

Anyone know any Skynyrd? Wait.... nobody going on 16 would say that. Anyone want to do some Disturbed?

...but seriously.....

Age difference of 16-21 is bigger than the age difference of 42 to 38. The latter... you're all adults. The former... you've got adults (albeit young ones) along with teenagers, which I can see feeling a little awkward. That said... if you are on the same page musically and ability-wise, and every bit as importantly.... in line with each other with respect to your goals, then you should be able to make it work pretty easily. The 20-year-old will feel like he is playing with a kid if he has the ability of a kid. If he is jamming with an equal, it'll be fine.

My own fairly recent experience.... we lost a guitar player and had to find another. We had responses from some kids who seemed to talk a good game and had good demos. However, we're in the 38-48 age group. We all have jobs, wives, mortgages, etc. We've all 'been there, done that.' We really didn't feel that we would have much in common with an 18 year old or whatever. Not only that.... we're all old enough to be the kid's dad. The relationship would almost definitely take on one of guardian supporter/youth protege rather than a team of equals, I think.

Also, from our experience, with youth comes a whole different bag of priorities and goals, which we weren't willing to take a chance on them being different enough to end badly for all concerned.

It *can* make a big difference... but with the right people, it doesn't *have* to.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Oct 6, 2008,
Quote by axemanchris
Hey! Me too!

Anyone know any Skynyrd? Wait.... nobody going on 16 would say that. Anyone want to do some Disturbed?

...but seriously.....

Age difference of 16-21 is bigger than the age difference of 42 to 38. The latter... you're all adults. The former... you've got adults (albeit young ones) along with teenagers, which I can see feeling a little awkward. That said... if you are on the same page musically and ability-wise, and every bit as importantly.... in line with each other with respect to your goals, then you should be able to make it work pretty easily. The 20-year-old will feel like he is playing with a kid if he has the ability of a kid. If he is jamming with an equal, it'll be fine.

My own fairly recent experience.... we lost a guitar player and had to find another. We had responses from some kids who seemed to talk a good game and had good demos. However, we're in the 38-48 age group. We all have jobs, wives, mortgages, etc. We've all 'been there, done that.' We really didn't feel that we would have much in common with an 18 year old or whatever. Not only that.... we're all old enough to be the kid's dad. The relationship would almost definitely take on one of guardian supporter/youth protege rather than a team of equals, I think.

Also, from our experience, with youth comes a whole different bag of priorities and goals, which we weren't willing to take a chance on them being different enough to end badly for all concerned.

It *can* make a big difference... but with the right people, it doesn't *have* to.

CT

All absolutely true, but, when a young band is just getting together, it's purpose is usualy to put down the ground work and plan for the day that it can play professional type gigs and make professional type recordings. This obviously takes time and it's not going to happen within a couple of months, infact I'd say it could take nearer to a year or two before a new band is established as an act that has gained enough experience through low key gigs and demo recordings to really have a serious go at it.
By then, the 16 year old is an adult.
David Silvera joined Korn when he was 13.

I think it really depends on how determined the person is too, as parents have a huge influence on kids that age. No parent is going to want their kid to get too deep in a band and with younger mates not being old enough to do anything, that might leave you without a member.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
All absolutely true, but, when a young band is just getting together, it's purpose is usualy to put down the ground work and plan for the day that it can play professional type gigs and make professional type recordings. This obviously takes time and it's not going to happen within a couple of months, infact I'd say it could take nearer to a year or two before a new band is established as an act that has gained enough experience through low key gigs and demo recordings to really have a serious go at it.
By then, the 16 year old is an adult.

my band has been around for about 2 years, but we lost our drummer in july (took the summer to patiently look for a drummer, while I re-wrote material, and wrote more songs.) and now that I've fixed up / re-wrote about 10-12 songs, and wrote another 10-12 I want to get back to jamming with a steady band, and record a demo before January (so I can put it up on the internet for free downloads to get our name out), and start to gig about 2-3 times a month, and in the summer, I want to seriously gig (try and open for bands that come to montreal, try and play shows in other cities such as Ottawa, Sherbrooke, Drummondville, Troi-Riviers etc..) Yes I know I may be a little ahead of myself with those goals, but even if I just open for one band, or get to play one or two shows out of Montreal, it'll just be such a huge sense of accomplishment.
I'm 23. In my band we have ages 18, 19, 23(me), 30, 33, 43, 45, and 5-something (yeah, big band).

My bro is 18. he is the second-oldest in his band (lead singer is 21). The youngest member of his band, the lead guitarist, is 15.

Guess who the most impressive musicians are out of all of those people? The 15 year-old guitarist, my 18-year old brother on bass, the 19-year old sax player in my band, and the 43-year old drummer in my band.

Yep, age doesn't have much to do with it as long as you get along.
I am 16, my band's drummer is 15 and the second guitarist is 17 and our keyboardist is 22 (and a girl, in a metal band, OMG!!!)) tell your brother age doesn't matter if the guy can play the music you are going to play.
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
well in my band we me and the basist are 17, the lead is 16 and the drummer is 21-22 dunno exactly. And we get on wery well and generaly have a lot of fun.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
It shouldnt matter as long as ye get on and gel musically, however it could prove to be difficult to get bar gigs etc..

Just ask your brother to try it out, you never know, ye might have found a real gem
im 19 and everyone else in my band is about 30.

but we aren't dating we are playing music so its not awkward
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
With boys it's like "here's an incredibly complex sport to learn with sophisticated rules and various interdependent roles to play in a social unit."

For girls it's like "here's Barbie...you're fat!"
Hey, Swap-Meet, I live in Montreal. I'm 17.
PM me if you wanna jam sometime.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Quote by sbikram
lol that was an epic... what were you thinking buddy??

hey it wasn't my idea, it was turf82's idea, but i liked the name
lukas marlett
Age doesn't matter if you're all 20+ but when you're still in high school it matters.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
Not really, my college band (As in UK college... not like US) ranges from just turned 16 (me and the bassist) to nearly 18, and we're all fine. Admittedly, mentally we are about 5 but that doesn't make a difference. We get bar gigs too even though we're all under the age of being able to drink.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice