I just put an emg-hz (h4) in the bridge of my Kramer Pacer.
If anyone has had any experience with this pickup please let me know, I have yet to plug in and play with it.

Thank you.
They sound great in my Schecter for distortion but not so nice for cleans.
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Thanks.
I have a (h)(S)(S) set up on my Kramer so I will still have nice pickups for cleans.
I had read what you said on some other sites, but thanks man.
meh, there's much better pickups for the price, i wouldn't spend more than 20 bucks on that pickup, i think most stock pickups are better
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
They're essentially attempting to mimic the active 81-85s in a passive form, correct? I had them on one of my guitars for awhile. To be honest they do a fairly good job and I was more than pleased with them. As noted above the distortion is great but the clean tones do lack sustain and I always found them to be a bit trebble'y/twangish. Really though I have no complaints, personally I ended up opting for the 81-85s in the end run for the extra kick, but for sticking to a passive setup they're pretty impressive.

EDIT: Still, compared to something like a Dimarzio D-Activator etc. they pale, but as you got them for free I'd say you made out pretty good. They're higher end than most stock pickups.
Last edited by FrayedSanity at Oct 4, 2008,
Quote by ugg im kyle
Hah, well the thing is a friend of mine gave it to me.
And the stock pickup in my Kramer was lacking a lot.

well in that case if you were given it, that's great! grats on the new pup
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
I have HZ-Hs in 2 of my guitars, and a 3rd one for the Telecaster I'm getting and I love them. They will get you pretty damn close to that EMG active distortion. I love them. And I think the cleans sound great too, but you kinda need a tube amp to get the full EMGness of them, they don't sound quite as good on SS.
Quote by drbobgfx
I have HZ-Hs in 2 of my guitars, and a 3rd one for the Telecaster I'm getting and I love them. They will get you pretty damn close to that EMG active distortion. I love them. And I think the cleans sound great too, but you kinda need a tube amp to get the full EMGness of them, they don't sound quite as good on SS.

I thought it was only the active EMGs that need a tube amp for their true potential?
Yeah, it uses two bar-loaded coils. So it is the non-active version of an 81.
If I had the money for an 81 I would get it, plus the money to router out a battery slot.
Quote by HighPotency
I thought it was only the active EMGs that need a tube amp for their true potential?

Clean tones always tend to sound better on tube I'd say, passive or active. But yes, the difference between a solid-state and tube on active pickups is night and day (at least to me).
Quote by FrayedSanity
Clean tones always tend to sound better on tube I'd say, passive or active. But yes, the difference between a solid-state and tube on active pickups is night and day (at least to me).

I would have to agree with that.
I plan on getting a 6505 after christmas.
I like the set I have. Tone wise, they're pretty identical to the active 81 and 85 set.
There just isn't as much output and the highs aren't as sharp the 81 and 85. (Some interpret this as being muddy, but they aren't)
The bridge HZ is very noise free when compared to other high output pickups. They also have that tradmark EMG note clarity and definition.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
I thought the HZs I had in my old Jackson were the worst pickups I've ever heard... until I got my Strat which had EMG Selects, which I quickly changed.

The HZs sounded horribly muddy and not defined at all, cleans were pretty poor as well. If you buy EMGs, it's for their active, nothing else, period.

Quote by ugg im kyle
If I had the money for an 81 I would get it, plus the money to router out a battery slot.

I've yet to see a guitar where a battery won't fit in the control cavity. You don't need to route anything for active pickups.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

I've yet to see a guitar where a battery won't fit in the control cavity. You don't need to route anything for active pickups.

What?
Quote by ugg im kyle
What?

He means that you almost never need to rout out more space in your control cavity for a battery. It's true. Try to put a battery in your control cavity now, and if it doesn't fit, you'll need to rout out more space. Most people do it without needing to.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by ugg im kyle
I would rather router out a separate spot to be honest.
But since I don't need to it's what ever.

If you rout out a separate spot and then decide to go back to passive, you'll always have that spot.

Don't judge me.
You might decide you don't like them.

Don't judge me.
Quote by ugg im kyle
Why would I go back to passive if I have the money for actives?
8)

Because you actives aren't necessarily better than passives. Cost isn't a factor, a great set of passives will cost more than set of EMGs anyway.

I certainly would never use active pickups as i feel they sound sterile and overshadows the guitar's natural tone.
Quote by ugg im kyle
Why would I go back to passive if I have the money for actives?
8)

I had EMGs in my SG, the DiMarzios in my Ibanez and the Gibson pickups in my other SG destroy them imo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com