I was wondering if anyone knew any video tutorials on how to strum inner strings on an electric guitar without strumming any of the other string. I see vids of bands using fast, wide strums and doing powerchords on the G, D and A strings, but when I try strumming them I always either hit the low E string or the high e and B strings. is there a specific technique for strumming only those strings without hitting the ones you don't have to strum?
How Do You Get To Carnegie Hall?

Practice Practice Practice!
can also mute E with your index finger...
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
The key with power chords is muting all the strings you're not playing.
Quote by ttreat31
The key with power chords is muting all the strings you're not playing.

+1
Take your plam (the meaty part) and rest it at the bridge. Move your plam back and forth on the strings (slight movements!) while strumming to get an idea of how it affects muting and tone.

Pressure is important here to get what you are looking for. That is to say, apply differant amounts of pressure on the strings. One thing I have found is, movements, pressure, et al, are slight, don't make the mistake of doing huge movements or applying too much pressure. Easy does it!

Hope this helps

Chris
Thanks you the replies guys, but does anybody know or have any videos to show specifically how to do this? I'm not saying I don't get what you guys are saying, I do, like I've tried muting some of the other strings with unused fingers, but i think I'll understand them 100% if I can visually see someone doing it and explaining it.
I would suggest some searches on YouTube using "power chord" and "palm mute". I would also suggest www.justinsandercoe.com. He has some lessons on both these techniques to help you in his video lesson section of his website.

Good luck and remember...practice, practice, practice

Chris
Muting or not, you still need to learn to hit the right strings and there's nothing you can do about that other than practice. A video won't help because you already know exactly what it is you need to do, namely stop hitting the strings you don't want to hear...you just can't do it yet.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Muting or not, you still need to learn to hit the right strings and there's nothing you can do about that other than practice. A video won't help because you already know exactly what it is you need to do, namely stop hitting the strings you don't want to hear...you just can't do it yet.

+1, as always..
I struggled with this a lot a while back, but even though it looks like the player is hitting all the strings when they strum ... they aren't. They are still trying to hit only the strings for the power chord and are muting the others. I never could find an instructional video but eventually figured out what was going on from watching other players and asking people better than me. Unfortunately a video can't really show exactly how to do it either because hands and guitar necks are all different sizes, and people have differing abilities in their hands to stretch and bend their finger joints.

For 6th string root power chords just try to angle your left hand fingers to mute the 2nd & 3rd strings (maybe 1st too if the hand position is not too natural) and try to not strum any strings but the 6th, 5th, and 4th. You'll probably hit the 3rd and maybe the 2nd sometimes but if they are for the most part muted it won't matter. For 5th string root power chords do the same thing but try to mute the 6th string with the tip of ur index finger on the root note. For 3rd or 4th string root power chords more of the same but use your middle finger to lay across the lower strings to mute them. There is no special technique to learn other than learn those 3 power chord positions, get used to muting with the index and middle finger (and finger angle), and work at only strumming the strings that make up the power chord. Eventually your hand will be trained to do it.
The wide strums are only for show. The trick is to not view a strum as a wide sweeping motion that keeps the pick parallel to the strings, you do it in a controlled arc. It's the same idea as missing the first two strings when you play a D chord, just backwards. They might be hitting the bottom strings a little, but mostly they're pounding on the top, coming in at an angle and flicking their wrist to make an arc.