Alright....so in the coming months I wanna get all of this stuff.

Guitar :
Fender Mustang (790$ taxes included)

Effects :
EHX Small Clone (80$ taxes included)
BOSS DS-2 (50$ used)
maybe an OD pedal & a reverb pedal?

I also wanna get a PA system which is a little under 400$

I get paid on friday, and I wanna know in which order should I get all this stuff?

If it matters I usually make 300-350$ a paycheck + an additional 20-30$ a week in tips
Last edited by Swap-Meet at Oct 5, 2008,
Guitar

then PA then pedals.

unless your current guitar is decent, then guitar last.
You're not getting a decent PA for $400...trust me. My band bought a really nice JBL speaker, and a cheap peavy mixer. I sounded good and it was loud enough to hear over drums and guitars. This was used for vocals only though. If you're running other things through the mixer you'll need a decent mixer, and at least two speakers to get a balanced sound. A good PA is expensive to build. Most PA packages like the Fender passports and Behringer and stuff like that aren't worth the money and virtually are crap for music performances. The best thing to do if you're strapped for cash is borrow another band's PA.
Quote by MacFamousKid
You're not getting a decent PA for $400...trust me. My band bought a really nice JBL speaker, and a cheap peavy mixer. I sounded good and it was loud enough to hear over drums and guitars. This was used for vocals only though. If you're running other things through the mixer you'll need a decent mixer, and at least two speakers to get a balanced sound. A good PA is expensive to build. Most PA packages like the Fender passports and Behringer and stuff like that aren't worth the money and virtually are crap for music performances. The best thing to do if you're strapped for cash is borrow another band's PA.

I don't need PA's for shows, I need it for jamming, in montreal even the sleeziest of bars have big ass PA systems.

I am getting the Peavy PA system for like 299$

Quote by burn the stars
are you in band already? what gear do you currently own? what pa do you want?

uhhh...a drummerless band.

currently my rig is

Squier JAgmaster --> BOSS DS-1 --> EHX Double Muff ---> Danelectro Fab Flanger --> Crate V-50
Quote by burn the stars
id get the guitar first, then the pa

I really wanna get the mustang, cause i've wanted one since I first played one (like 3 years ago?) but it always seemed like something came in the way.. but now that I have a job i know that it's just a matter of time...and I'm kinda being impatient with it...the thing is the PA seems a little more important so when me and my brother jam with people that wanna join our band, vocals can be heard over everything. this friday I'll have almost 600$ (i think) everything I wanna get will come out to like 1,300$ (if i can get the mustang a little lower that is..) that is including the PA, the mustang, small clone, ds-2, and a SD-1.

Quote by forsaknazrael
What do you need the PA for? Vocals? A cheap used keyboard amp of sufficient power will do the job.

yeah vocals..

what about a bass amp with two imputs (vocals / bass) I know it may not sound very good...but it may be the most affordable thing to do?

how much power should I be looking for?
Quote by forsaknazrael
I dunno about the bass amp.

Keyboard amps...depends. I've seen decent ones on my craigslist go for 100-250 bucks.

well, I may have 2x 200 wat speakers in my house lying around...but i think they were used for entertainment systems (cd players, VHS)....could they get hooked up into a mixing board?
Small Clone, DS-2>PA/Keyboard Amp>Guitar.

You need to be able to practice with audible vocals before you start gigging.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Small Clone, DS-2>PA/Keyboard Amp>Guitar.

You need to be able to practice with audible vocals before you start gigging.

Yeah I know that.....but like I said, I may have some 200 wat speakers in my house that my mom hasn't used for liek atleast 10-15 years...dunno if they'll be able to be connected to a mixing board? if so I can get a mixing board for liek 100$ + 2 mics & 2 stands for like 100$ more.

so that cuts the cost of a PA system in half?

Why do you think I should get the pedals first though?

it's really just a matter of time, cause liek I said i'll probably be getting it all by the middle of november...at the latest.

do you think it would be best to get the mustang & the mixer / pa system in one shot?

if i spend like 1,000$+ they'll probably knock off the taxes + a little more from the guitar and pa?
Last edited by Swap-Meet at Oct 5, 2008,
You want the pedals first because you just got a new amp, and a guitar doesn't play that much into your tone. You need to cement your sound, and if you plan to use pedals, the sooner you have them, the better. I certainly think you should buy the PA and guitar together, much more negotiable.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
You want the pedals first because you just got a new amp, and a guitar doesn't play that much into your tone. You need to cement your sound, and if you plan to use pedals, the sooner you have them, the better. I certainly think you should buy the PA and guitar together, much more negotiable.

ehh..I just realized in the guitar store where i'm gonna buy my guitar and PA/ mixing board they have different salesmen for each department....so I wouldn't be able to get two different guys to lower the price on both...will i?
Quote by forsaknazrael
'Kay.

Yeah, it has to be a powered mixer, otherwise, you won't be gettin' anything.

I still think that a used keyboard amp is the way to go.

it will be more expensive if the speakers I have will work with a mixing board. + i think I can get up to 4x 200 wat speakers (my dad has 2, my mom has 2 and neither of 'em use them)
what amp do you have?
and for 800 bucks, i think you could do alot better than the mustang. i feel that they are cheaply made, it feels like it will fall apart after a few months. not to mention it seems like you need to it every day. intonate
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by Swap-Meet
it will be more expensive if the speakers I have will work with a mixing board. + i think I can get up to 4x 200 wat speakers (my dad has 2, my mom has 2 and neither of 'em use them)

Well, remember, the wattage of the speaker does not mean volume. They're only as loud as the power amplifier being used.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, remember, the wattage of the speaker does not mean volume. They're only as loud as the power amplifier being used.

Uhhh....power amplifier? you mean the mixing board?

Quote by chea_man
what amp do you have?
and for 800 bucks, i think you could do alot better than the mustang. i feel that they are cheaply made, it feels like it will fall apart after a few months. not to mention it seems like you need to it every day. intonate

Crate v-50 just got it a week ago....I'm getting the mustang, i really don't care what people say about them, I love them....and I am aware that they are overpriced....but I am still getting it.
Usually, on cheaper systems, the mixer is intergrated into the power amp, (called a powered mixer)
However on the more expensive systems the PA (power amplifier) is seperate from the mixer
Gear List:
Ibanez S320
Lavey LV200
Squier Stratocaster Affinity HSS
No-Name Wesley Fat Strat copy
Peavey Rage 158