Page 1 of 2
So I just re-enlisted in the army, and they gave me a $7500 bonus. That being said i'm ready to move up from kindergarden($200 guitars and $50 amps) to the big leagues. I've already decided on a Gibson SG Standard, and a Boss ME 50. But the only thing i don't have a clue on is what amp to get. like i've said, i've only played on the marshal 15cdr, so i have no real experiance.

I love tube amps, my buddy has a tube amp in his band and the clean tones are simply amazing. So there is no question that i want a tube vs ss. But other than that i don't know. Should i go combo amp? I only play at home right now since i am stationed in korea. I REAAAALLY want a full stack, but from what i'm told, 100w tube amp full stacks sound like crap at low volumes. and since i live in the barraks, that poses a problem.

but at the same time, if i ever get in a band i don't want to have to buy another amp. so theres my problem. what do i get? i've put myself on a $2000 budget seeing as the SG is $1400 and the ME 50 is $300.

Any advice, ideas, anything?

Thanks

PFC Crabill
US ARMY

-EDIT I play mainly rock, my influences being, weezer, 30 seconds to mars, killswitch engage, taking back sunday, the redjumpsuit apparatus, bullet for my valentine. stuff like that.
Last edited by racerokc at Oct 5, 2008,
what style of music do you play/ what bands do you like and listen to? For $2000 dollars you can get a nice all tube half stack, depends what sound your looking for.
You'll be fine with a 50w combo in a band situation... what type of music do you play?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
You'll never need a 100W full stack. And to tell you the truth, 50 watts tube is more than enough volume for pretty much anyone. What kind of music/ styles do you play?
What kind of music?
Just curious, do you actually do anything in Korea (South Korea I assume)? Like do you ever see any action?
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
yeah dude...start over.

$800 max on guitar and $1200 minimum on amp. Look second hand and you will find tons of great deals. Forget that $300 ME.

How far away is Edmonds from Seatle?

From what I read, he has 2000 to spend on an amp after that stuff.

But, I will say that he should get something like a used faded SG and not an ME.

Then he can spend 3000 on a amp.

Like a Rocca HG30.
Quote by TheArcadeFire
I say you get a Peavey JSX combo.

^ damn right, those things are f*cking brilliant
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Randall RM50 + Treadplate (or some other high-gain module) and Blackface mods. That'll get you a good clean sound plus the high-gain Mesa recto sound for only about $1400 US. Then, I would scrap the ME, and use the remaining $800 or so for single effects. As far as SG's go, you would probably be better off in terms of chances for quality getting a copy such as an Edwards; I bought my Edwards LP copy blind off Ebay and it's fantastic. That's a nicely rounded rig in my opinion; take from it what you will.
Screw the Boss ME
That is crap

amp time-

(used or new)
Peavey JSX
Peavey XXX
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Rectoverb
Mesa Stiletto
Carvin V3
He has effects, buy the Vibrolux Custom or Super Reverb reissue.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
you should be able to find a mint gibson sg standard for around 800-900. for that much amount of money you should get a EVH 5150, i see these going 2nd hand mint on ebay for around 1300. the head of course.

No but seriously, you should re-examine your budget:

Your overall budget is: 1400$ (SG) + 300$ (me) + 2000$ (amp)= 3700$
I don't know what you play, so I'll suggest this:

This is what you should buy (if you play blues/classic rock):

- Used gibson SG 61 reissue (1400$)( It's just a much better guitar than the Standard ( fast neck, better pups)

-Ceriatone JTM45 clone (1100$ after shipping)

-Avatar 4x12 Traditional Cab with choice of speakers ( 500$ after shipping)

-This brings you to 2900$. The rest, you can spend on the pedals you NEED, instead of that multi-fx crap.

The reason I picked a blues/rock rig is because almost everyone else suggested a metal rig.

Now, to answer your questions: If you play at home, a 5 watt amp would be perfect.
Tube watts are louder than SS watts. Even 30 watts ( my suggestion) is pushing it.

A halfstack isn't necessary, but seeing as you wanted one, that's what I suggested.

A 100w is a waste of money, because it would be too loud for practice and almost too loud for most gigs.

I'll suggest a combo amp once you tell us what music you want to play.
Last edited by DerekTheDominoe at Oct 5, 2008,
Yes, like everyone else says, lose the ME. Buy a used guitar (you can get a nicer SG for the same price), and your budget opens up more. Genres are crucial though.

EDIT: Saw genre.
Budda SuperDrive 45 1x12
Blackstar Artisan 30
Marshall JVM205C
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Last edited by theoreticmusic at Oct 5, 2008,
Mesa rec. is an all the way if you have the money man. They probably have the most beautiful tones I have ever heard.
The Marshall JVM is also a great choice.
Possibly look into ENGL? Or are they more than $2000 in the states? I'm sure something like a powerball would be sufficient enough for your needs.
Ok, after seeing what you want to play, I'll suggest this:

Used SG 61 reissue (1400)

Orange Rocker 30 combo ( 1300$)

That gives you a 1000$ to buy other things with.
mesa stiletto.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by DerekTheDominoe

- Used gibson SG 61 reissue (1400$)( It's just a much better guitar than the Standard ( fast neck, better pups)

hm not really. i hate that half ass looking pickguard on the reissue. it looks like its trying to hard to be a les paul. last time i played both in the studio they felt about the same. as for pickup. i had the 57 classic in my les paul antique. the 57 has a bit more growl but for that price difference its not worth it.
Quote by kckyle
hm not really. i hate that half ass looking pickguard on the reissue. it looks like its trying to hard to be a les paul. last time i played both in the studio they felt about the same. as for pickup. i had the 57 classic in my les paul antique. the 57 has a bit more growl but for that price difference its not worth it.

I'm just a fan of the slim neck and 57s. I couldn't care less for the batwing pickguard. It's about sound and playability, not looks!
Quote by DerekTheDominoe
I'm just a fan of the slim neck and 57s. I couldn't care less for the batwing pickguard. It's about sound and playability, not looks!

the 57 isn't all that, personally i think the duncan alnico II in my sg sounds better
IMO, the best value available is the EVH 5150 III, but I don't think I'd want to pay to ship it around, or worse, trust the armed forces to ship it for you (or keep it in a barracks situation). I'd probably just get a decent guitar & Cube 30 while you're stationed overseas, & wait to get a super amp til you're home for a long stretch. By then, there may be better amps available, or the 5150 IIIs will be available for less.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
I don't get what the bias is against the ME, Boss makes pretty good multi effects.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
I don't get what the bias is against the ME, Boss makes pretty good multi effects.

Nobody's biased against the ME, we're biased against Multi-Effects Pedals. They aren't as tweakable as individual pedals, and they usually don't sound as good.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Hmm...perhaps this Marshall JVM410 ($1700 used) can do it for you. They're wonderfully versatile (this guy has a good walkthrough of it) You should be able to get some good 2x12s or 4x12s from Avatar with the rest of the money. If space is a real concern, try a JVM combo.

The Randall and Orange amps mentioned are also solid.

Finally, try some ESP Vipers with Seymour Duncans to see if you like their necks. They're quite slim, and well equipped.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Oct 5, 2008,
Super, Deluxe, Vibrolux, or Twin Reverb. Best amp reissues IMO.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
I don't think you should get a JVM cause you definitely don't need 100 watts tube, there's just no point. I'm sure you can get an amp with better tone but less wattage, for less money.
Quote by lespaul#1
Super, Deluxe, Vibrolux, or Twin Reverb. Best amp reissues IMO.

Dude whats with all these fender recommendations, this guy is trying to play modern metal!

And btw you people saying JVM, they are crap for modern metal and ridiculously overpriced.
Quote by Highwaytohell
Dude whats with all these fender recommendations, this guy is trying to play modern metal!

And btw you people saying JVM, they are crap for modern metal and ridiculously overpriced.

Well he has an FX, have you ever tried a Fender w/ Distortion. When I used my Ds-1 through my Deluxe, it sounded like Killswitch Engage.
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
Well he has an FX, have you ever tried a Fender w/ Distortion. When I used my Ds-1 through my Deluxe, it sounded like Killswitch Engage.

... sure...

Carvin V3 sounds good for what you want man, that or a Peavey JSX would probably be what you'd be good for.
Quote by Highwaytohell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUlM0IDhQac

Sounds good to me....

Also: Get a Matamp.
Quote by imgooley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUlM0IDhQac

Sounds good to me....

Also: Get a Matamp.

Good demo. The Marshall sounded acceptable to me, but the Splawn pwned.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by riffhog
Good demo. The Marshall sounded acceptable to me, but the Splawn pwned.

The dude has more up. In some, the JVM pwns the Splawn

They sound awesome mixed.
Page 1 of 2